Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New "Pyramid" Pilot Tape Date Now Set...  (Read 55883 times)

tpirfan28

New "Pyramid" Pilot Tape Date Now Set...
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 03:23:58 PM »
$25,000 > $1,000,000, in my opinion.

[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242358\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 03:00 PM\']* 3) They're using pics from Donnymid to promote this, instead of pics from last year's pilots; not the best idea, guys.[/quote]Where is your advertising degree from?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 03:30:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242358\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 12:00 PM\']* 1) The show is referred to as "The 25 Thousand Dollar Pyramid"; this is most likely a typo, partly because that's a long way down from $1,000,000.[/quote]
...and that's a good thing.
* 2) It is "a Full-hour game show"; not too bad, so long as they don't screw it up.
Thanks for this insight.
* 3) They're using pics from Donnymid to promote this; people, hence, might think you're going back to the Donnymid style of gameplay/set...which isn't the best message to imply.
...to a small SMALL subset of your potential audience, most of which are going to watch your show anyhow, and most of which know better going in.

Keep digging.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 03:30:33 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Game Show

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 04:09:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242358\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 03:00 PM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Game Show\' post=\'242350\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 12:57 PM\']http://onsetproductions.com/calendar/ticke...amp;eventID=192[/quote]
Three things of note --

* 1) The show is referred to as "The 25 Thousand Dollar Pyramid"; this is most likely a typo, partly because that's a long way down from $1,000,000.
* 2) It is "a Full-hour game show"; not too bad, so long as they don't screw it up.
* 3) They're using pics from Donnymid to promote this; people, hence, might think you're going back to the Donnymid style of gameplay/set...which isn't the best message to imply.

I wonder who the celebrity partners will be?
[/quote]

1) I agree that may be a Typo. $25,000 doesnt sound all that exciting in 2010. I believe $100,000 makes more sense.

2) When I checked the website earlier today, I am pretty sure there was no reference of it being a 1 hour show, so they must have recently updated the information. Frankly, that worries me quite a bit, as that could mean they are going to "fix" what isnt broken.

3) I agree that pix from Donnymid isn't the best idea, but keep in mind they used the same photos for the NYC tapings last year. What bothers me more, is... does this mean they arent using the NYC Pilot set, or something that resembles the Classic Set ? If so, that could mean trouble.

Hopefully, its nothing to worry about. Is anyone in the LA area planning to attend the tapings ? I cant wait to hear all about it.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 04:46:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242358\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 02:00 PM\']* 3) They're using pics from Donnymid to promote this; people, hence, might think you're going back to the Donnymid style of gameplay/set...which isn't the best message to imply.[/quote]Do you really think the general public really gives a damn?

That question isn't rhetorical, btw.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 04:59:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'242361\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 02:30 PM\']Keep digging.[/quote]
So he can run into this, I presume.

/or a Fygar
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

NickS

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 05:51:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242358\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 02:00 PM\']* 1) The show is referred to as "The 25 Thousand Dollar Pyramid"; this is most likely a typo, partly because that's a long way down from $1,000,000.
* 3) They're using pics from Donnymid to promote this; people, hence, might think you're going back to the Donnymid style of gameplay/set...which isn't the best message to imply.[/quote]

1)  IT'S A PILOT.  I've said it before but I'll use the pinball allusion again - BIG MONEY does not = great game.  Besides, do you think an untested show is going to get a budget to giveaway $1M off the bat?  Hell, LMAD's still in SD for pete's sake.

2)  This isn't just for you but for others that like to hem and haw before the show's even seen - stop it.  Please.  We will see what happens with an hour-long Pyramid.  Could be two half-hours, could be main-game/WC until an hour's up.

3)  Read the article again; the "THIS IS PAID AUDIENCE WORK" would like to have a word with you.  Besides - like Mark said, the general public doesn't give a damn about screen caps.  There's also the "Dick Clark-hosted classic" line, too.

Summary: don't get your knickers in a knot, Norman.  Let's see how it all pans out AFTER they tape it.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 08:15:45 PM »
[quote name='rollercoaster87' post='242367' date='Jun 12 2010, 04:59 PM'][quote name='clemon79' post='242361' date='Jun 12 2010, 02:30 PM']Keep digging.[/quote]So he can run into this, I presume.

/or a Fygar[/quote]
I LOL'd.

Also, yeah I know -- and I do hope that an hour-long version (even if it's two episodes) is nothing to worry about, as Mr. GS said. And I hope that in Whenever we'll get a Pyramid that is fair*, balanced*, and colorful**.

* "Fair" and "balanced", regarding the judging and difficulty of the Winner's Circle categories -- Donnymid was not too good at either, and some of those categories might as well have screamed "You're not going to win!"
* "Colorful", because in this age there are way too many shows with dark, moody sets.

Didn't somebody say that ABC was thinking about extending Pyramid to an hour around 1975-76, but instead did Let's Make A Deal (which bombed so badly that the show ended up gone)?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 08:04:00 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

J.R.

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2010, 08:35:45 PM »
Dan88 is certainly one of the more ambitiously obnoxious members to come across this forum.
-Joe Raygor

Kevin Prather

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 08:47:36 PM »
Don't feed the trolls, guys.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 09:31:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'242375\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 08:47 PM\']Don't feed the trolls, guys.[/quote]
I agree, 100%. I've retaliated to trolls in the past, although in hindsight I shouldn't have, and it never turned out well. They tried to blackmail me several times, called me names I dare not utter on any site (names which I'm not even comfortable posting through spoiler tags), and built a full-of-lies article about me on the horrid Encyclopedia Dramatica.

I'm not saying this to gain any sympathy/respect, but rather to defend -- once and for all -- against any and all thoughts that I am a troll.

/and now back to your regularly-scheduled discussion.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:27:03 PM by Dan88 »

Loogaroo

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 10:24:38 PM »
Well, I tried out today for the pilot - didn't make it past the first cut, though I didn't expect to since they're only going to need a handful of people for the pilot tapings.

It seems the one cosmetic change that will be made from versions past is that contestants will be standing during the gameplay (at least, during the front game - they mention in the rules packet that clue givers are still strapped in for the Winner's Circle). Whether that affects the way the game looks on TV in any significant way remains to be seen.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 10:41:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'242378\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 10:24 PM\']It seems the one cosmetic change that will be made from versions past is that contestants will be standing during the gameplay (at least, during the front game - they mention in the rules packet that clue givers are still strapped in for the Winner's Circle). Whether that affects the way the game looks on TV in any significant way remains to be seen.[/quote]
That's...weird. Wouldn't standing kind of ruin the gameplay, since it would allow you to use your whole body to give clues (somewhat betraying the whole "better at Taboo than charades" line in the casting notice)? Having the players stand also implies that the set has changed from last year's attempts.

I'm not saying the show is now ruined, but "stand-instead-of-sit" is not the best decision (even if it appears to be minor).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:58:42 PM by Dan88 »

NickS

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 10:56:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242377\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 08:31 PM\'][quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'242375\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 08:47 PM\']Don't feed the trolls, guys.[/quote]
I agree, 100%. I've retaliated to trolls in the past, although in hindsight I shouldn't have, and it never turned out well. They tried to blackmail me several times, called me names I dare not utter on any site (names which I'm not even comfortable posting through spoiler tags), and built a full-of-lies article about me on the horrid Encyclopedia Dramatica.
[/quote]

But it's OK that you go over to Drew Carey's blog and yell at telephone polls.

I'm not saying this to gain any sympathy/respect, but rather to defend -- once and for all -- against any and all thoughts that I am a troll.

Troll?  No.

Ignorant and/or not learning from mistakes?  Yes.  Doesn't make you a troll, though.

ObPyramid:  And so what if players stand?  Dumb decision?  Because it doesn't jibe with how Pyramid's done in the past?  Learn to deal with change, man.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 11:14:22 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'242380\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 10:56 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242377\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 08:31 PM\'][quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'242375\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 08:47 PM\']Don't feed the trolls, guys.[/quote]I agree, 100%. I've retaliated to trolls in the past, although in hindsight I shouldn't have, and it never turned out well. They tried to blackmail me several times, called me names I dare not utter on any site (names which I'm not even comfortable posting through spoiler tags), and built a full-of-lies article about me on the horrid Encyclopedia Dramatica.[/quote]But it's OK that you go over to Drew Carey's blog and yell at telephone polls.[/quote]
Dude, that was a mistake I made nearly a full year ago. Please don't bring it up again.

[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'242380\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 10:56 PM\']ObPyramid: And so what if players stand? Dumb decision? Because it doesn't jibe with how Pyramid's done in the past? Learn to deal with change, man.[/quote]
My point is, the show is changing something that didn't need changing. This seemingly-small measure would prohibit people (both celebrities and contestants alike) who are unable to stand for lengthy periods of time due to leg problems, and those whose bodies are more frail than others.

Sure, they may make accommodations for those people, but what are the chances that those people will even be chosen to be contestants?

This seemingly-minor change is reminding me of Million-Dollar Password, in that the contestants and celebrities stood for long periods of time while Reege sat in a nice black chair -- not to mention that every contestant seemed to be about 18-34 with few physical flaws.

Maybe they'll change it back by the time taping begins, or if the show gets picked up. It doesn't seem like a big deal, I admit, but it definitely seems to have been done for a reason that's not simply "We wanted something different".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:15:27 PM by Dan88 »

NickS

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 11:42:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242381\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 10:14 PM\']Dude, that was a mistake I made nearly a full year ago. Please don't bring it up again.[/quote]

I won't but I brought it up because while you're "defending" yourself against trolls, what right did it give you to go off on Drew?

My point is, the show is changing something that didn't need changing. This seemingly-small measure would prohibit people (both celebrities and contestants alike) who are unable to stand for lengthy periods of time due to leg problems, and those whose bodies are more frail than others.  Sure, they may make accommodations for those people, but what are the chances that those people will even be chosen to be contestants?

Betty White would like to have a word with you.  I don't know if the producers would/would not accomodate said contestant would-bes, but let's cross that bridge when the issue - you know - actually arises.

This seemingly-minor change is reminding me of Million-Dollar Password, in that the contestants and celebrities stood for long periods of time while Reege sat in a nice black chair -- not to mention that every contestant seemed to be about 18-34 with few physical flaws.

Maybe they'll change it back by the time taping begins, or if the show gets picked up. It doesn't seem like a big deal, I admit, but it definitely seems to have been done for a reason that's not simply "We wanted something different".

This "seemingly-minor change" reminds me of 1 vs. 100, DoND, Don't Forget the Lyrics!, Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader and - oh yeah - TPiR, where the host AND contestants (in play) were standing.  So tell the class what "definitely" is being done other than "We wanted something different," then.