Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rich Fields gone from TPIR?  (Read 13434 times)

Kevin Prather

Rich Fields gone from TPIR?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'241866\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 02:40 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'241861\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 04:59 PM\']1) I was being sarcastic. Obviously I wouldn't ask him up-front.[/quote]
Emoticons are your friend. ;-)      <-----see?!----->     :D
[/quote]
"Oops, I posted something stupid. Think, Dan, think...uhh....I was being sarcastic! Yeah, that's it. These bozos'll buy that. Sarcasm!"

J.R.

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 06:29:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'241871\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 05:20 PM\']"Oops, I posted something stupid. Think, Dan, think...uhh....I was being sarcastic! Yeah, that's it. These bozos'll buy that. Sarcasm!"[/quote]
Well played, Mauer.

/I'm not even allowed in Mexico.
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 06:34:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'241871\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 06:20 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'241866\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 02:40 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'241861\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 04:59 PM\']1) I was being sarcastic. Obviously I wouldn't ask him up-front.[/quote]
Emoticons are your friend. ;-)      <-----see?!----->     :D
[/quote]
"Oops, I posted something stupid. Think, Dan, think...uhh....I was being sarcastic! Yeah, that's it. These bozos'll buy that. Sarcasm!"
[/quote]
Oh, don't think that didn't cross my mind either. ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

whewfan

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 06:35:38 PM »
ASSUMING that this news is true...

Whether Drew has anything to do with it or not, CBS or higher ups may want a "funny guy" that can compliment Drew, and perhaps participate in the showcases, a la Johnny or Rod (as long as the new guy isn't subjected to embarassing things like Rich was for part of season 37) Let's face it, the showcases are back to being pretty dull and straightforward as they were towards the end of Barker's run. I wonder if they'll audition announcers again, or if they already have someone in mind.

Jonathan Mangum is no Jay Stewart in terms of his announcing, but he's certainly not a BAD announcer. Wayne needs a funny guy to bounce off of and Jonathan works out nicely.

Randy West is a great announcer, and having met him a while ago, he is VERY VERY funny and a master at impersonating other announcers (especially Johnny Olson).

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 06:50:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'241864\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 05:29 PM\']Not officially confirmed by John or Marc, but the news was posted to g-r by the same account who first broke the news of both Mike Richards's hiring and Bart Eskander's firing.[/quote]
Interesting use of the word "officially", since neither John nor Marc work for the show.  The G-R thread starter seems to be pretty well-connected, as are several other people who have weighed in, directly or obliquely.  Any additional information helps, including anything John or Marc may learn, but it's "official" when Fremantle announces it, not when a fan does, no matter how connected or established he might be.  

Meanwhile, I'm satisfied that it's for real, though I don't really have any huge reaction to the news either way.  Rich seems like a nice enough guy, one who loved his job and seemed to enjoy (or at least tolerate) the excesses of certain elements of the fandom.  On a personal level, you hate to see anybody lose a job, but in a field where nothing is guaranteed, he's had a really good run.  If they really think that a change of announcers is what's right for the show, then more power to them.  As so many people forget, it's their show.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mr. Brown

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 07:56:48 PM »
Based on everything I've read and heard for the past two years from various places, somebody has had it out for Rich for several years, since at least Barker's retirement (perhaps even earlier).

Now you've got the perfect storm - effectively, everybody that has come in to protect your job is gone (Bob & Roger), and the only person that could possibly have some influence on keeping you is gone on a 2-month vacation in the southern hemisphere. Perfect time to pull out the hatchet...
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 08:49:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Brown\' post=\'241883\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 07:56 PM\']Based on everything I've read and heard for the past two years from various places, somebody has had it out for Rich for several years[/quote]
To be honest, the fact that there are still senior members of the old guard left makes me think either they really know how to politic or that the bureaucratic process runs slowly.
This signature is currently under construction.

dale_grass

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 10:39:45 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'241878\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 05:35 PM\']... CBS or higher ups may want a "funny guy" that can compliment Drew ...[/quote]
I'd love to hear Jim Gaffigan or Demetri Martin tell Droo how lovely his tie is, or that his breath smells like an apple orchard full of frolicking unicorns with pine tree air fresheners tied around their necks.

Anyhoo, I hope the news is true.  Like Matt said, it sucks when someone gets fired, but I'm pretty sick of hearing him puking up prize descriptions.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 10:54:19 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'241900\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 07:39 PM\']I'd love to hear Jim Gaffigan or Demetri Martin tell Droo how lovely his tie is, or that his breath smells like an apple orchard full of frolicking unicorns with pine tree air fresheners tied around their necks.[/quote]
I just wanna hear Gaffigan read the description on Hot Pockets.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Brown

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 11:30:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'241889\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 07:49 PM\']To be honest, the fact that there are still senior members of the old guard left makes me think either they really know how to politic or that the bureaucratic process runs slowly.[/quote]

Maybe a little bit of both.

The Human Resources department in most major corporations is usually atrocious. I can remember, as a young man, my father, who was a manager in a major oil company, attempted to get a downright awful employee fired... It took *THREE YEARS*.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:30:57 PM by Mr. Brown »
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

gaubster2

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 12:18:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Brown\' post=\'241903\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 08:30 PM\'][quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'241889\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 07:49 PM\']To be honest, the fact that there are still senior members of the old guard left makes me think either they really know how to politic or that the bureaucratic process runs slowly.[/quote]

Maybe a little bit of both.

The Human Resources department in most major corporations is usually atrocious. I can remember, as a young man, my father, who was a manager in a major oil company, attempted to get a downright awful employee fired... It took *THREE YEARS*.
[/quote]

Takes about 7-8 now.

/unless the offending behavior is flagrant enough
//then it usually results in an "offer" to leave or buyout

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 12:27:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'241879\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 05:50 PM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'241864\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 05:29 PM\']Not officially confirmed by John or Marc, but the news was posted to g-r by the same account who first broke the news of both Mike Richards's hiring and Bart Eskander's firing.[/quote]
Interesting use of the word "officially", since neither John nor Marc work for the show.  The G-R thread starter seems to be pretty well-connected, as are several other people who have weighed in, directly or obliquely.  Any additional information helps, including anything John or Marc may learn, but it's "official" when Fremantle announces it, not when a fan does, no matter how connected or established he might be.  [/quote]
I'm with you on this one, but it seems like nobody over there seems to want to admit that this is true until John comes in and puts a dagger through their innocent little hearts.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 12:29:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'241879\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 06:50 PM\']Interesting use of the word "officially", since neither John nor Marc work for the show. The G-R thread starter seems to be pretty well-connected, as are several other people who have weighed in, directly or obliquely. Any additional information helps, including anything John or Marc may learn, but it's "official" when Fremantle announces it, not when a fan does, no matter how connected or established he might be.

Meanwhile, I'm satisfied that it's for real, though I don't really have any huge reaction to the news either way. Rich seems like a nice enough guy, one who loved his job and seemed to enjoy (or at least tolerate) the excesses of certain elements of the fandom. On a personal level, you hate to see anybody lose a job, but in a field where nothing is guaranteed, he's had a really good run.[/quote]
Totally agree with you, Matt. Rich held the job for six years, and was a great announcer from his debut until around the beginning of Season 37, but then he got involved in the "Drewcases" and just looked like a moronic suck-up (hell, one Showcase even made him dyslexic!) -- and he never really stopped. I don't really mind his "Gone Wild" videos, though.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'241879\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 06:50 PM\']If [Fremantle] really think that a change of announcers is what's right for the show, then more power to them. As so many people forget, it's their show.[/quote]
And therein lies the problem -- this is Fremantle, a company who has proven (several times) that they're not exactly the best at doing things well/right. Oddly, though, all their current productions appear to be the exception, although this is debatable (the whole Family Feud/STILL-$5-a-point-in-a-Fast-Money-loss thing comes to mind, but that's for another time).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:35:10 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Sodboy13

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 12:45:10 AM »
Oddly, I've thought Rich had gotten better this past season, and was making for a good fit with the show and what it currently is.  Perhaps I've been watching on the wrong days.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Argo

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 09:13:18 AM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'241855\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 04:26 PM\']If Rich Fields should ever leave "TPiR", he should take over the "WoF" announcing job once Charlie O' Donnell decides to retire.[/quote]

Id say they'll just replace Charlie with Vanna for the rest of the announcing skills. They seem to be using her for more and more.