Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New TPiR game coming: Rat Race  (Read 27044 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
New TPiR game coming: Rat Race
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2010, 07:08:25 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'242688\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 05:20 PM\']Would it be possible to do like Olympic swimming in that, when the rat crosses the finish line (or hits a sensor), the scoreboard is automatically updated with that rat's rank?[/quote]
See, I thought that's what was happening, and considering all the other tech involved, I have to imagine it's not an unreasonable request.  Also, see my previous post on GUTS lights.

As I mentally conceived how the game looked, I thought the rats would have antenna-like tails to which you could stick little flags onto if you chose one.  I'd argue that it would be a better audience visual than the light-up lanes.
This signature is currently under construction.

Unrealtor

« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2010, 07:24:05 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'242688\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 04:20 PM\']Would it be possible to do like Olympic swimming in that, when the rat crosses the finish line (or hits a sensor), the scoreboard is automatically updated with that rat's rank?[/quote]

The behind the scenes video on priceisright.com says that there are electronics in the track to determine the order, so I'm surprised that the CBS electronics shop didn't go the extra step to hook them into the graphics.

Also, I think the reveal would look a lot better if the mice came up in order of finishing instead of in order by track position. If you want to do some sort of reminder of which colors belong to the contestant on there, put a row of rats across the bottom and mark them with something like a dollar sign or a GT asterisk.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Bob Zager

« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2010, 07:33:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'242663\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 12:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'242647\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 10:40 AM\']Whether the winning rat is predetermined or not, if a contestant earns his/her choice of (the maximum) three rats, they would be guaranteed to win at least ONE prize, and it could still be the car![/quote]
This is incorrect.  The contestant is not guaranteed to win any of the prizes no matter how well he bids.
[/quote]

Well, the only way I can see that is if not all the rats cross the finish line!

Assume a contestant earns the choice of THREE rats, and all rats are meant to cross the finish line.  If the two unchosen rats finish first and second, one of the three chosen rats will finish third, and win the lowest priced prize.  If only one of the two unchosen rats finishes in the top three, then two of the contestant's rats chosen would be somewhere in the top three.

Remember, this is if a contestant earns all three choices, and that all the rats cross the finish line!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2010, 07:35:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'242693\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 07:33 PM\']Well, the only way I can see that is if not all the rats cross the finish line![/quote]
As I've said quite a number of times in this thread, it is possible for this to happen.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2010, 12:21:52 AM »
I've been looking over what we were told about this game, and I may have made a mistake here.  We do know that rats that get stuck don't finish, but I can't find anything specifically about what happens if all five get stuck, and I don't think we have a way right now to find out for sure.

I don't know that I'm wrong, but I don't know that I'm right, either, and honestly, I hope I'm not.  Regardless, I don't want something that could potentially be false to be floating around as presumed fact while we wait for a definite answer.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:22:05 AM by Steve Gavazzi »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2010, 05:18:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'242711\' date=\'Jun 18 2010, 12:21 AM\']I've been looking over what we were told about this game, and I may have made a mistake here.  We do know that rats that get stuck don't finish, but I can't find anything specifically about what happens if all five get stuck, and I don't think we have a way right now to find out for sure.

I don't know that I'm wrong, but I don't know that I'm right, either, and honestly, I hope I'm not.  Regardless, I don't want something that could potentially be false to be floating around as presumed fact while we wait for a definite answer.[/quote]
That's why I speculated, race re-run, tape edited, teeny-tiny disclaimer.  Or play Double Prices.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2010, 09:25:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'242711\' date=\'Jun 18 2010, 12:21 AM\']I've been looking over what we were told about this game, and I may have made a mistake here.  We do know that rats that get stuck don't finish, but I can't find anything specifically about what happens if all five get stuck, and I don't think we have a way right now to find out for sure.

I don't know that I'm wrong, but I don't know that I'm right, either, and honestly, I hope I'm not.  Regardless, I don't want something that could potentially be false to be floating around as presumed fact while we wait for a definite answer.[/quote]
It sounds like we all agree a lot more than we don't.  If *a* rat doesn't finish, them's the breaks.  If a whole bunch of rats don't finish, that's just ridiculously bad television. It doesn't look like a player got an unlucky break, it looks like your stupid game doesn't work right.  Surely Drew & Co. realize this, and would take some kind of corrective action if that should occur.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2010, 10:04:21 AM »
I believe the correct term for 'your stupid game doesn't work right' is 'technical win', right?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2010, 12:24:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'242725\' date=\'Jun 18 2010, 09:04 AM\']I believe the correct term for 'your stupid game doesn't work right' is 'technical win', right?[/quote]
Probably.  After all, WWBD?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2010, 12:38:57 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'242730\' date=\'Jun 18 2010, 09:24 AM\']Probably.  After all, WWBD?[/quote]
One of the models.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'242731\' date=\'Jun 18 2010, 12:38 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'242730\' date=\'Jun 18 2010, 09:24 AM\']Probably.  After all, WWBD?[/quote]
One of the models.
[/quote]
Well played.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2010, 03:24:22 PM »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'242731\' date=\'Jun 18 2010, 11:38 AM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'242730\' date=\'Jun 18 2010, 09:24 AM\']Probably.  After all, WWBD?[/quote]
One of the models.
[/quote]
One?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2010, 08:11:28 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'242743\' date=\'Jun 18 2010, 03:37 PM\']One?[/quote]
Does not approve of my shenanigans
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'241821\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 08:27 AM\']Awarding prizes for 3rd and 2nd place in a makeshift race sounds closer to something one of us would cook up, caring more about the "game" part of "game show."[/quote]What exactly does this mean? Shouldn't someone be concerned about having interesting games? Otherwise you could just play Double Prices six times and wake up the viewer to remind him that lopping off Fido's nutsack is The Right Thing To Do. That's why you play it a bunch of times to get a feel for probabilities and whether the reveal is interesting enough for a live crowd.

[quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'242606\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 08:03 PM\']If factors cause all the rats not to cross the finish line, couldn't they just "score" them in their current order on the track?[/quote]If the Tibetan goat herder that has miraculously made it to the finals of the 100m dash at the Olympics is kicking tail for most of the race but collapses at 98 meters and doesn't finish, you don't score him as having run 98 meters in however many seconds. You score him as "Did not finish."

[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'242681\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 01:21 PM\']Even if the mice broke half the time (which is almost certainly an overestimate), the odds of a TPK occurring are pretty long (31:1).  Yes, it's a possibility and yes, that's not preferred, but 5 0's in Plinko isn't preferred either.[/quote]That's really interesting. I realize that Plinko is functionally equivalent (trigger event, watch event, get paid) but it feels different. Then again, you can do everything right and still lose Secret X a third of the time. And it still gets played without anyone complaining too much.

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'242721\' date=\'Jun 18 2010, 06:25 AM\']It sounds like we all agree a lot more than we don't.[/quote]I would be inclined to agree, especially given the precedent of the Half-Off bonus money.
Travis L. Eberle