Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New TPiR game coming: Rat Race  (Read 27038 times)

chad1m

New TPiR game coming: Rat Race
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2010, 12:08:13 PM »
It just seems to me like they put the rule in so that they don't have to make an on-the-fly decision about what to do in the slim chance that happens. The rule is already in place so there's no "holy crap, what should we do" moment. How fair is it to Joe Plinko to re-do and re-tape the race when the blue rat he chose finished first but the green rat he chose didn't make it due to an error? Just give him the car, explain his other rat didn't finish and move along. The "non-functional" rat probably wasn't going to land in the first three positions anyway if it didn't finish. It's a CYA rule and I don't have a problem with it. If the one flaw about a game is in regards to something that, judging by the amount of testing they claimed to have done the video, will happen once in a blue moon if it all, I don't think it's a big deal.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'242656\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 12:08 PM\']It just seems to me like they put the rule in so that they don't have to make an on-the-fly decision about what to do in the slim chance that happens.[/quote]

Correct, and that was my larger point. The rule itself sounds wonky (if, as Matt says, it isn't just hearsay), but the video leads me to believe the chances of it happening are small. I think the main problem for some people is that, in previous years, the sheer potential of this inequity would be unheard of. I hope cooler heads would prevail in the once-in-a-lifetime race where most of the rats don't even finish (i.e., they'd reshoot it or award prizes).

-Jason
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:20:24 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2010, 12:49:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'242628\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 06:17 AM\']Seeing the actual game, it's obvious that if there is a mechanical problem, the race will be re-run and the tape edited.  The disclaimer will appear in teeny-tiny lettering that no one can read at the end of the show.[/quote]
Again:  If a rat gets stuck, it doesn't finish the race.

[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'242644\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 10:22 AM\']As was the case at the only Kentucky Derby party I've attended.  "My" horse went lame just a few lengths out of the gate.  Didn't matter how tasty was the guacamole I'd brought, I still lost.[/quote]
And you don't think this looks considerably more tacky on a game show than at an actual horse race?

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'242646\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 10:38 AM\']In the first place, I don't think we know for certain that's the rule.[/quote]
Yes, we do.

[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'242647\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 10:40 AM\']Whether the winning rat is predetermined or not, if a contestant earns his/her choice of (the maximum) three rats, they would be guaranteed to win at least ONE prize, and it could still be the car![/quote]
This is incorrect.  The contestant is not guaranteed to win any of the prizes no matter how well he bids.

[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'242660\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 12:19 PM\']I hope cooler heads would prevail in the once-in-a-lifetime race where most of the rats don't even finish (i.e., they'd reshoot it or award prizes).[/quote]
I would, too.  Right now, though, that's not what the rules are, and that's what I have a problem with.

Small though the chances of this happening may be, it's still a kink that should have been worked out before the game ever got on the air.  Instead, they came up with a half-assed non-fix for it and then hoped they'd never have to use it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2010, 12:54:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'242663\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 09:49 AM\']And you don't think this looks considerably more tacky on a game show than at an actual horse race?[/quote]
At least they don't put down the contestant if it happens here.

(Not that I would mind one bit in a lot of cases.)

I enjoyed the game (especially the presentation) and look forward to seeing many more playings.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:55:37 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2010, 12:56:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'242663\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 12:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'242644\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 10:22 AM\']As was the case at the only Kentucky Derby party I've attended.  "My" horse went lame just a few lengths out of the gate.  Didn't matter how tasty was the guacamole I'd brought, I still lost.[/quote]
And you don't think this looks considerably more tacky on a game show than at an actual horse race?[/quote]

Well, actually, no. This guy didn't win a car on a game show.  The horse had to be put down.
czambo@mac.com

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2010, 01:29:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'242663\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 11:49 AM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'242628\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 06:17 AM\']Seeing the actual game, it's obvious that if there is a mechanical problem, the race will be re-run and the tape edited.  The disclaimer will appear in teeny-tiny lettering that no one can read at the end of the show.[/quote]
Again:  If a rat gets stuck, it doesn't finish the race.[/quote]
Correct.  And if a rat doesn't finish the race, it doesn't win the race.  And if you picked a rat that didn't win the race, you don't win the car.  What exactly is the problem again?

I would like to continue to add the fact that three rats all failing at once, barring human error, is going to happen approximately as often as Plinko being won.  And even if that ever happens, Drew would probably step in and do something for the contestant, regardless of what the rules say.  The rules might be harsh, but can you seriously think Drew, he who instituted Half-Off's $500 bonus, would stand idly by and do nothing as that rule screwed the contestant over?

I know that's probably how Bob would have handled it.  "Whoops, looks like we put the mice on the track backwards today.  You know what...I'll give you the car anyway!"

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2010, 02:23:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'242669\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 01:29 PM\']Correct.  And if a rat doesn't finish the race, it doesn't win the race.  And if you picked a rat that didn't win the race, you don't win the car.  What exactly is the problem again?[/quote]
That the game can make itself impossible to win.

[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'242669\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 01:29 PM\']I would like to continue to add the fact that three rats all failing at once, barring human error, is going to happen approximately as often as Plinko being won.[/quote]
That doesn't mean there shouldn't be a better rule in case it does happen.  This is the only game on the show that has the potential to not have a right answer.  That chance shouldn't exist.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2010, 02:51:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'242671\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 02:23 PM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'242669\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 01:29 PM\']Correct.  And if a rat doesn't finish the race, it doesn't win the race.  And if you picked a rat that didn't win the race, you don't win the car.  What exactly is the problem again?[/quote]
That the game can make itself impossible to win.[/quote]
I'm with the armor-plated one here.  It sounds like you're saying that the game is flawed because there is the possibility that at least three rats will fail in the same race.  I have to believe that they've play-tested this thing enough times to be confident that's not going to happen, or that the possibility is so remote that it's not worth worrying about.

In those high heels walking across that narrow platform, Vanna might slip and break her ankle.  It could happen.  (Then of course, we'd have to put her down.)  The fact that this is a possibility doesn't mean that the game board is badly designed.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2010, 03:14:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'242674\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 02:51 PM\']Vanna might slip and break her ankle.  It could happen.  (Then of course, we'd have to put her down.)[/quote]

Heaven forfend!
czambo@mac.com

J.R.

« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2010, 03:27:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'242674\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 01:51 PM\']In those high heels walking across that narrow platform, Vanna might slip and break her ankle.[/quote]
Wheelloon's worst nightmare. ;)
-Joe Raygor

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'242674\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 02:51 PM\'][quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'242671\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 02:23 PM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'242669\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 01:29 PM\']Correct.  And if a rat doesn't finish the race, it doesn't win the race.  And if you picked a rat that didn't win the race, you don't win the car.  What exactly is the problem again?[/quote]
That the game can make itself impossible to win.[/quote]
I'm with the armor-plated one here.  It sounds like you're saying that the game is flawed because there is the possibility that at least three rats will fail in the same race.  I have to believe that they've play-tested this thing enough times to be confident that's not going to happen, or that the possibility is so remote that it's not worth worrying about.[/quote]
Heck, since the the goal of the game is to win the car, you only need to really worry about all five mice dying.  Any other result can be shrugged off as saying "Well, you didn't pick the right rat.  Too bad."  Even if the mice broke half the time (which is almost certainly an overestimate), the odds of a TPK occurring are pretty long (31:1).  Yes, it's a possibility and yes, that's not preferred, but 5 0's in Plinko isn't preferred either.

As a side thought, this rule may be some accidental genius here.  I mean, this is a Rat Race.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 04:21:44 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2010, 04:29:40 PM »
I have come up with two options, both of which would involve only three rats.

PRE-DETERMINED RACE
The more responses I read, the more I'm in favor of predetermining the race, but one the condition that there's only three rats, with three small prizes. By predetermining the race, whoever handles graphics can easily punch up the winning rat as soon as it crosses the finish line, and the producer can simply tell Drew via IFB "The orange rat is the car. Pretend like you're surprised."

-or-

RANDOM RACE
Here, the rats would still be color-coded, but would also be numbered (non-sequential, i.e. Rat 3 represents the car, Rat 6 is the computer, Rat 9 the watches). Each time you correctly price a prize, you choose a rat, whose number is revealed right before the race. If (one of) your chosen rat(s) crosses first, you win the prize. At least with numbers, it's easier to figure out who crosses the line first, and there's not an awkward two-second delay as Drew and the producers try and figure out what was won (or lost).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

beatlefreak84

« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2010, 05:20:05 PM »
After seeing the game and the aforementioned rule about rats breaking down, I think the fix can be a lot simpler:

So long as at least three rats cross the finish line, you have a legal game.  If you picked one of the rats that didn't make it, it's just like that rat came in fourth or fifth place.  If less than three rats cross the finish line, either edit that play out and redo the race, or just award the contestant the highest prizes he/she could have won.

But, that strange rule aside, I really, really like the game.  The pricing part is a nice change of pace for the show, and the race is a very clever way of deciding what prize(s) you'll win.  I definitely agree there needs to be a better way to judge (from an audience point of view) which rats crossed the finish line in what order.  I was too focused on the first-place finish to know who finished third, for example.

Would it be possible to do like Olympic swimming in that, when the rat crosses the finish line (or hits a sensor), the scoreboard is automatically updated with that rat's rank?

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2010, 05:37:43 PM »
So long as at least three rats cross the finish line, you have a legal game. If you picked one of the rats that didn't make it, it's just like that rat came in fourth or fifth place. If less than three rats cross the finish line, either edit that play out and redo the race, or just award the contestant the highest prizes he/she could have won.
Works for me.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2010, 06:53:50 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'242688\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 05:20 PM\']So long as at least three rats cross the finish line, you have a legal game.  If you picked one of the rats that didn't make it, it's just like that rat came in fourth or fifth place.  If less than three rats cross the finish line, either edit that play out and redo the race, or just award the contestant the highest prizes he/she could have won.[/quote]
That's a decent, very simple solution.