Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New TPiR game coming: Rat Race  (Read 27258 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
New TPiR game coming: Rat Race
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »
I can hear the emcee language in my head.
That may be the only place you hear it. I don't know whether M. the R. is hip to the concept of scripted lines the emcee has to memorize. I've a feeling they simply teach Drew how the games work and let him fumble around as to how to describe it. As an aside, years ago somebody showed me the first playing of some pricing game or other under Barker, and Barker's description of the game didn't make a damn bit of sense.

[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'241825\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 08:53 AM\']They could accomplish the race with animation of some sort.  It would look awful (a la Illinois Luckiest), but it could be done.[/quote]
Well, not really. Using mechanical rats gives you a random outcome. Animation means the outcome is predetermined and you have to convince the audience that the outcome isn't being controlled on the fly, if you get my meaning.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 12:38:35 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'241831\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 11:32 AM\']Animation means the outcome is predetermined and you have to convince the audience that the outcome isn't being controlled on the fly, if you get my meaning.[/quote]
One of the things that Atinale Al Precio does with Master Key is reveal which key wins what at the end of the game (there's a little switch on the key table that reveals the key makeup). Maybe they can do something like that with the new game.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'241804\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 07:58 AM\']If a contestant's chosen rat doesn't finish they would have to stop and redo the race.[/quote]

Not true.

[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'241804\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 07:58 AM\']It will be a good test of how well Mikey and R. Brian can mount a new game.[/quote]

From what I've heard, Rich DiPirro had his thoughts as the director of how this game should be staged and shot, but Mike as the EP had his way which led to a extremely long (better part of an hour) heated and drawn out argument in the booth.

Mike has already put his mark on a new game and that will be forthcoming after the Rat Race.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 12:54:55 PM »
If a contestant's chosen rat doesn't finish they would have to stop and redo the race.

Not true.
And you have this on what authority? What would they do if none of the five finished the race?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:57:46 PM by chris319 »

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 01:04:42 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'241835\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 12:54 PM\']
If a contestant's chosen rat doesn't finish they would have to stop and redo the race.

Not true.
And you have this on what authority?
[/quote]

There has already been a list devised of all possible scenarios (that they have thought of) and what to do if such occurs.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 01:06:17 PM »
Here's how I would do it:  5 prizes (close in price) described.  Contestant picks the most expensive, which becomes his rat in the race. The distance your rat goes depends on its prize's price. Win the race and win all prizes + car.  Lose the race and go home with only your "rat"-the prize you thought was most expensive.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:06:59 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 01:11:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'241837\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 10:06 AM\']Here's how I would do it:  5 prizes (close in price) described.  Contestant picks the most expensive, which becomes his rat in the race. The distance your rat goes depends on its prize's price. Win the race and win all prizes + car.  Lose the race and go home with only your "rat"-the prize you thought was most expensive.[/quote]
In other words, you'd slap Yet Another Skin on Most Expensive.

Say what you will about the current leadership (and Lord knows people have, and will continue to), but at least this is a halfway-original idea. I dunno if it's a GOOD idea (I certainly question the anticlimactic-ness of losing out on the top prize before the game ends and then playing for 2nd or 3rd), but at least it's original.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
There has already been a list devised of all possible scenarios (that they have thought of) and what to do if such occurs.
So what's the answer to my question? What happens if none of the five rats makes it to the finish line?

From what I've heard, Rich DiPirro had his thoughts as the director of how this game should be staged and shot, but Mike as the EP had his way which led to a extremely long (better part of an hour) heated and drawn out argument in the booth.
They should have had this figured out before the game was built (c.f. Super Ball).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:19:06 PM by chris319 »

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 01:19:06 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'241839\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 01:17 PM\']
They should have had this figured out before the game was built (c.f. Super Ball).
[/quote]

No, this was a "hurry up and spend $80,000 to please Drew" move.  (So I'm told)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 01:35:25 PM »
No, this was a "hurry up and spend $80,000 to please Drew" move. (So I'm told)
It matters not. There is still time to spend an hour or two figuring out how to stage and shoot it before a) spending $80,000 to have it built, and b) having the discussion with the meter ticking on full facilities. Anyone who has ever produced even the simplest TV or movie production could tell you this.

BTW, you've practically revealed your source of inside information ;-)

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 01:51:18 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'241841\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 01:35 PM\']BTW, you've practically revealed your source of inside information ;-)[/quote]

I definitely have not, because it's been multiple sources.   The nice thing about the state of that place right now is that no one is ever short of venting their frustrations.

Although, depending on who else you ask, the studio is filled with unicorns and leprechauns on soft puffy clouds these days.  I think you know better.   ;)

With the news that came public today, let's just wait and see how the week finishes out.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 02:05:03 PM »
I definitely have not, because it's been multiple sources.
One of them is blatantly obvious.

Although, depending on who else you ask, the studio is filled with unicorns and leprechauns on soft puffy clouds these days. I think you know better. ;)
And the crew gets more overtime because they run over in the studio so often.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 02:07:23 PM by chris319 »

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 02:07:22 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'241844\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 02:05 PM\']
I definitely have not, because it's been multiple sources.
One of them is blatantly obvious.
[/quote]

E-mail.

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 03:26:41 PM »
I like the concept, hate the idea of 5 rats.

I understand that having only 3 rats makes the game anticlimactic if the contestant correctly prices all three prizes. However, I think if your rat doesn't place at all, there should be some sort of consolation to soften the blow of not winning a single prize, say $500 for 4th, $250 for 5th. The idea of doing everything right, but still losing really does not sit right with me.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 05:50:28 PM »
[quote name=\'WilliamPorygon\' post=\'241802\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 03:47 AM\']they are actually racing wind-up toy mice "live"[/quote]
And this is where they would lose me.  There are so many reasons why using toy mice is a bad idea.  Why can't you just refurbish/modify a half-dozen computer mice, and build a gravity-dependent, maze-like course?  It'd be medium-scale soap box derby.

Getting back to an earlier point, the reason I don't like it as a car game is because of a) the reveal and b) because it's another example of the "Cars, Cash, and Trips" mentality that I find stupid.  I'd rather it be for 3 nice prizes a la Superball and only sometimes for a car.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:55:26 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.