Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New TPiR game coming: Rat Race  (Read 27065 times)

Lirodon

New TPiR game coming: Rat Race
« on: June 03, 2010, 01:10:28 AM »
According to several reports, a new pricing game called Rat Race will debut on June 16th. Although many on G-R are already dubbing it the "best game of the decade" (heck, technically isn't this the only new game of the decade 0_0), I'm not quite sure about this.

Basically, its a 3 prize game, contestant tries to price 3 small prizes within specific ranges (Walk of Fame style), and for each correct guess they get to pick one of 5 rats in the titular race. Picking the rat that finishes 3rd earns the lower prize, finishing 2nd earns the medium prize, and finishing 1st earns the major prize. Right away to me this seems a lot like a carbon copy of Master Key with small adjustments (different front game, 3 "keys" rather than 2), although we'll have to see it in play before we make our final judgment on this. Apparently Drew himself had involvement in the creation of this game, so I'm not sure what to think about that either.

Any thoughts?

p.s. I also randomly tweeted about how crusty looking around the edges Bonus Game is looking in HD, and Drew just confirmed that Bonus Game is among the games being prepped for a refurbishment next season.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 10:46:18 AM by Lirodon »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:43:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'241795\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 01:10 AM\']According to several reports, a new pricing game called Rat Race will debut on June 16th. Although many on G-R are already dubbing it the "best game of the decade" (heck, technically isn't this the only new game of the decade 0_0)[/quote]
Interesting how you managed to be aware of this and still miss the point.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 01:58:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'241795\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 01:10 AM\']Picking the rat that finishes 3rd earns the lower prize, finishing 2nd earns the medium prize, and finishing 1st earns all three prizes. Right away to me this seems a lot like a carbon copy of Master Key with small adjustments (different front game, 3 "keys" rather than 2)[/quote]

The mouse that finishes first is for the car.  There is no Master Mouse.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:08:25 AM »
I think I'd like this slightly more if the top prize wasn't a car.

I'm interested to see the execution for this.  My mind's eye pictures it as sort of a Plinko/Marble Run hybrid
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 02:14:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'241799\' date=\'Jun 2 2010, 11:08 PM\']I think I'd like this slightly more if the top prize wasn't a car.[/quote] I'd like this more if there wasn't the chance of no rat finishing it. You can win all three rats and no prize. Boo boo boo.

I'm interested to see the execution for this.  My mind's eye pictures it as sort of a Plinko/Marble Run hybrid
My guess is that they won't do that because they wouldn't try to copy another game too closely (to wit, calling the Let 'em Win dice "cubes"). It'll probably be a slightly inclined (if at all) table with appropriate decore.
Travis L. Eberle

tvrandywest

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 02:15:30 AM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'241798\' date=\'Jun 2 2010, 10:58 PM\']....  There is no Master Mouse.[/quote]
No, but I heard the Nazis were working on this!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 03:47:15 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241800\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 02:14 AM\']I'd like this more if there wasn't the chance of no rat finishing it. You can win all three rats and no prize. Boo boo boo.[/quote]
There's 5 rats to choose from.
You can win up to 3 picks.
Prizes are awarded for picking 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

Seems to me if you win all 3 picks the worst you can do is to get only the 3rd place rat's prize.

---

EDIT:
The more I read about this game, the more it looks like a train wreck waiting to happen.  So apparently there's the possibility of some (or even all?) of the rats not even finishing, and thus the possibility mentioned of not winning anything with all 3 picks.  In fact, if at least 3 of the 5 rats don't make it to the finish, then some of the prizes won't even be winnable.  Also, since the results of the race aren't predetermined and they are actually racing wind-up toy mice "live", there's the possibility of photo finishes and results being too close to call.

The concept could work, but it really would have to be with something like cutouts on a Hurdles-type board to guarantee all the rats finish (or the top three at least) and that it's easily clear which was first, second, and third.  The results also really should determined ahead of time (and if they're dead-set against that for whatever reason, at the very least, it should be randomized by computer on the spot).  As it stands, this seems like it could end up being the biggest debacle since Professor Price.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 05:25:36 AM by WilliamPorygon »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »
If a contestant's chosen rat doesn't finish they would have to stop and redo the race. If one of the non-chosen rats doesn't finish it's moot.

It will be a good test of how well Mikey and R. Brian can mount a new game.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 07:59:56 AM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 08:00:14 AM »
I think Oscar the Wonder Rodent retired.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 08:02:29 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 08:51:28 AM »
So besides Barker, who are the other 4 rats?

TheLastResort

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 10:46:23 AM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'241798\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 01:58 AM\']There is no Master Mouse.[/quote]

What do you use to catch a Master Mouse?

Master Bait.

Lirodon

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 10:49:31 AM »
I must've confused "You can will all 3, 2 of them" as a suggestion that finishing 1st wins all 3, there is no "super/master rat", but still, I rest my case since this may be the only new game of the decade so far if someone counts the end of the decade as being at the end of 2010.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 11:05:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'241819\' date=\'Jun 3 2010, 07:49 AM\']but still, I rest my case since this may be the only new game of the decade so far if someone counts the end of the decade as being at the end of 2010.[/quote]Erm, yay?
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »
On paper, it's a decent enough idea. I wasn't going to dismiss it on its face. How sane did a yodeling mountain climber look at first? Of course, I pictured this in my head as a more elaborate mechanical game, where there's a master reveal of which rat wins what (a'la Switcheroo; a model could come up and prove which was which). Already it's been pointed out that we'll know if the car is won or not first, which could be a problem. If they're insisting on staying with this same sort of idea, it would be considerably less complicated if the car were the only thing at stake. Then, with somehow predetermined "rats," have the contestant try to win the one that will finish the race. Then again, that's similar to other games already.

As it stands, my confidence in their ability to handle the reveal is shaky. I can hear the emcee language in my head. I hope they have something close to that when it hits the air. Awarding prizes for 3rd and 2nd place in a makeshift race sounds closer to something one of us would cook up, caring more about the "game" part of "game show."

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 11:53:52 AM »
They could accomplish the race with animation of some sort.  It would look awful (a la Illinois Luckiest), but it could be done.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:57:59 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.