Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New TPiR game coming: Rat Race  (Read 27388 times)

NickS

New TPiR game coming: Rat Race
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2010, 05:13:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'241933\' date=\'Jun 4 2010, 02:38 PM\']I think they should use real rats and have celebrities bet on which one will win.  Mr. Plager (played by Howard Hesseman), one of Dr. Hartley's occasional patients on The Bob Newhart Show, once suggested a game show called The Rat Race that was played just like that.  He balked, however, when the network insisted the rats be given numbers rather than painted different colors; one must maintain some artistic integrity, after all.[/quote]

If memory serves me right - wasn't there also an episode of Miami Vice that guest-starred Phil Collins hosting a game show called Rat Race complete with its own theme sung by said guest-star?

ObTPiRRatRace: I'm for all rats actually finishing the race and agree on having something, maybe like the envelope Eubanks had with the combination on Dream House, to show the pre-pick for S&P sake.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:15:13 PM by TeppanYaki »

BrandonFG

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 05:21:35 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'241934\' date=\'Jun 4 2010, 05:13 PM\']If memory serves me right - wasn't there also an episode of Miami Vice that guest-starred Phil Collins hosting a game show called Rat Race complete with its own theme sung by said guest-star?[/quote]
Yes.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2010, 06:56:46 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'241934\' date=\'Jun 4 2010, 05:13 PM\']If memory serves me right - wasn't there also an episode of Miami Vice that guest-starred Phil Collins hosting a game show called Rat Race complete with its own theme sung by said guest-star?[/quote]
yes -  it's on hulu...for over 20 years i thought that it was a catchy tune sung by Phil....and hadn't heard it since it's original airings!
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Mr. Brown

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2010, 04:15:48 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'241931\' date=\'Jun 4 2010, 02:10 PM\']Ahhh, but this will soon show just exactly how little you know about this show.  ;)[/quote]

I'll be amazed if the man somehow screwed up a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors.
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

BrandonFG

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2010, 04:31:26 PM »
Watching some of that Miami Vice clip, I must say that that was probably one of the coolest, most elaborate fake game show sets I've ever seen. It always annoyed me to see sitcom/drama sets that were nothing more than a red or gold curtain and a few desks, as if it were still the 1950s.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2010, 04:42:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'241933\' date=\'Jun 4 2010, 03:38 PM\']Mr. Plager (played by Howard Hesseman), one of Dr. Hartley's occasional patients on The Bob Newhart Show, once suggested a game show called The Rat Race that was played just like that.  He balked, however, when the network insisted the rats be given numbers rather than painted different colors; one must maintain some artistic integrity, after all.[/quote]
The first-season episode "Fish Story" of WKRP in Cincinnati featured a memorable storyline involving Venus and Johnny (Howard Hesseman) drinking on the air as part of a public service announcement to show the effects of alcohol.  Show creator and episode writer Hugh Wilson used the pseudonym "Raoul Plager" for his writing credit because he was unhappy with a directive from CBS to write a more slapstick, farcical script, and wanted to maintain his artistic integrity.

Sorry.  That's the only time in my life this useless bit of trivia will ever be relevant to anything.

/ObGS: Johnny Olsen announced the third-season episode "Real Families".
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »
[quote name=\'bscripps\' post=\'242002\' date=\'Jun 6 2010, 04:42 PM\']Show creator and episode writer Hugh Wilson used the pseudonym "Raoul Plager" for his writing credit because he was unhappy with a directive from CBS to write a more slapstick, farcical script, and wanted to maintain his artistic integrity.[/quote]
It amuses me that the author of Police Academy was concerned about slapstick and farce harming his artistic integrity.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2010, 11:21:26 AM »
Rat Race did indeed premiere today.

The player earns up to 3 rats by pricing items within ranges of $1 (small grocery item), $10 (small prize), and $100 (small one-bid prize). All the rats did finish the race, but then again, it was only 6-7 seconds. Something tells me they're controlled underneath the track mechanically, kinda like a slot car. The rats all started on the model's pull of a lever, so I don't know how wound up they are. Nonetheless, it was entertaining.

I do like this game a lot, and its set is pretty darned awesome. I'm a big fan of contestants pricing things within ranges, rather than higher/lower, so they had me at the pricing section.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:55:58 AM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

tvmitch

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2010, 11:37:05 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'242557\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 11:21 AM\']Rat Race did indeed premiere today.

The player earns up to 3 rats by pricing items within ranges of $1 (small grocery item), $10 (small prize), and $100 (small one-bid prize). All the rats did finish the race, but then again, it was only 6-7 seconds. Something tells me they're controlled underneath the track mechanically, kinda like a slot car. The mice all started on the model's pull of a lever, so I don't know how wound up these mice are. Nonetheless, it was entertaining.

I do like this game a lot, and its set is pretty darned awesome. I'm a big fan of contestants pricing things within ranges, rather than higher/lower, so they had me at the pricing section.[/quote]
I agree with the last paragraph. I rather enjoyed the "pricing within a range" idea...should be added to more games, it's a bit more challenging than the standard "higher/lower" or "this prize or that one has this price."

Pretty good game overall. Nice set design, easy to understand. It would be fun to have a game like this that implemented some sort of odds system, but that might make it more complicated...

The rats looked cheap, though. This elaborate set with props that look like they came 5-for-$1 in the cat toy section of Dollar Tree.
You should follow me on Twitter

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2010, 11:54:17 AM »
Drew said during the Showcases that video will be posted to priceisright.com that chronicles the creation of Rat Race.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

weaklink75

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2010, 01:10:43 PM »
I do like the setup for it- probably one of the best ones I've ever seen. Only quibble is that the race should be a little bit longer- slow the rats down a bit.

pacdude

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2010, 01:35:31 PM »
For those (like myself) who missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AjSPbWQqfE...eature=youtu.be

My thoughts: it's a slick game. I like the setup and the staging, including the lit-up lanes, and the gameplay is not bad. The reveal is awesome, although I agree with the sentiment of making the rats slower. As much as I thought that a mechanical rat race would be a dumb idea for a game, the TPiR staff has shown they can patch together something awesome.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 01:40:28 PM by pacdude »

tpirfan28

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2010, 01:55:12 PM »
The set needs toned down a bit - the items blend in to the backdrop.  Other than that it's a very solid game, and the pricing portion is something that really isn't used that much on the program.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

weaklink75

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2010, 03:40:45 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'242559\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 11:54 AM\']Drew said during the Showcases that video will be posted to priceisright.com that chronicles the creation of Rat Race.[/quote]
And here it is... I actually was wondering why there was that yellow block in front- didn't notice the one in the back to make the dollar sign...

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'242557\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 11:21 AM\']Something tells me they're controlled underneath the track mechanically, kinda like a slot car.[/quote]
They're not, which is my only issue with the game -- it should have a predetermined outcome, but it doesn't, and on top of that, it's possible for the rats to get stuck.

It's a fun game to watch, though, and there's probably a way to fix the things that are wrong with it.