Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fame Game on $otc  (Read 7238 times)

Jimmy Owen

Fame Game on $otc
« on: June 20, 2003, 03:24:27 PM »
What was the significance of the celebrity pictures on the Fame Game board during the Sally Julian days?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

Fame Game on $otc
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 06:32:36 PM »
What was the significance of the celebrity pictures on the Fame Game board during the Sally Julian days?

Mostly network cross-promotion.  :)

More seriously, I would guess the idea was that since the Fame Game dealt with famous people, that instead of selecting a number or whatever you should select a famous person from the board for your prize (or possible addition to your score).  It also gave the hostess something to do during that round besides turn the sign over, by reading out the names of the celebs.

And I believe that celebs remained on the Fame Game board in the Australian version all the way during the run of that version--and the \"PYL\"-ish random selection never showed up on the Australian version.  (I also assume that the whole bit of having the hostess call out the names and the host give their \"claim to fame\" also originated in the Australian version.)

TheInquisitiveOne

Fame Game on $otc
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 06:59:52 PM »
Mostly network cross promotion. :)

Believe it or not, that WAS the actual reason. During the 1983 and 1984 season, $ale was looking for an identity with the daytime audience of the new decade and loaded the \"Fame Game\" with NBC personalities who were starring on popular shows at that time. This was an ideal way of promoting other NBC shows without bugs and splitscreens (Hear that, NBC?).  One paint job and cash jackpot later, the faces were replaced with numbers.

Of course, I could be wrong about this. Please feel free to clarify.

The Inquisitive One
This is the Way.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Fame Game on $otc
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 07:54:11 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 03:59 PM\'] Of course, I could be wrong about this. Please feel free to clarify.
 [/quote]
 There is most definitely a reason why the stars on the Fame Game board included such luminaries as Gary Coleman, Charlotte Rae, and Bob Hope. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Fame Game on $otc
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 08:48:16 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 05:32 PM\']And I believe that celebs remained on the Fame Game board in the Australian version all the way during the run of that version--and the \"PYL\"-ish random selection never showed up on the Australian version.  (I also assume that the whole bit of having the hostess call out the names and the host give their \"claim to fame\" also originated in the Australian version.)
[/quote]
True, true, and true to all dat. That board 'twas always loaded with Nine Network superstars like.... err.... :)
@lambertman

gsgalaxy82

Fame Game on $otc
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 10:32:44 PM »
Do you think it was dropped on the US version after awhile because of celebrities wanting money for their pictures? It doesn't make sense why they kept the \"Fame Game\" name. I think Australia it's called \"Famous Faces.\" I could be mistaken.

David

clemon79

Fame Game on $otc
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 11:14:59 PM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 07:32 PM\'] It doesn't make sense why they kept the "Fame Game" name. [/quote]
 1) It alliterates nicely.

2) The question is always a \"Who am I?\" format, starting off with Jim instructing the players to identify the famous (person, place, whatever). Hence, Fame Game.

ChuckNet

Fame Game on $otc
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2003, 11:58:19 AM »
There is most definitely a reason why the stars on the Fame Game board included such luminaries as Gary Coleman, Charlotte Rae, and Bob Hope. :)

Pat Sajak even showed up as a face the wk Laura Chambers was a contestant. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

billcullenfan

Fame Game on $otc
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2003, 12:00:08 PM »
Wasn't he also on the premiere? Along with Charlotte Rae, Gary Coleman, etc.?

ChuckNet

Fame Game on $otc
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2003, 12:03:10 PM »
True, true, and true to all dat. That board 'twas always loaded with Nine Network superstars like.... err.... :)

LOL...and they even had HOME VIEWERS pictured on the board...I thought the round was called the Fame Game?

Chuck Donegan (The Confused \"Chuckie Baby\")

clemon79

Fame Game on $otc
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2003, 02:26:19 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Jun 21 2003, 09:03 AM\'] LOL...and they even had HOME VIEWERS pictured on the board...I thought the round was called the Fame Game?
 [/quote]
 And in being so recognized, they were getting their 15 minutes thereof, were they not? :)

BrandonFG

Fame Game on $otc
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2003, 06:36:27 PM »
[quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 05:59 PM\']
Believe it or not, that WAS the actual reason. During the 1983 and 1984 season, $ale was looking for an identity with the daytime audience of the new decade and loaded the \"Fame Game\" with NBC personalities who were starring on popular shows at that time. This was an ideal way of promoting other NBC shows without bugs and splitscreens (Hear that, NBC?).  One paint job and cash jackpot later, the faces were replaced with numbers.

[/quote]
Didn't they at one point use celebrities from non-NBC shows? I thought I saw on someone's page, a cast member from \"Falcon Crest,\" which was CBS.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ChuckNet

Fame Game on $otc
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2003, 01:31:19 PM »
Didn't they at one point use celebrities from non-NBC shows? I thought I saw on someone's page, a cast member from \"Falcon Crest,\" which was CBS.

Yep...David Selby, to be specific...I also saw Peter Pan(!) on the board, being a \"cast member\" of Walt Disney, which also aired on CBS at the time.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")