Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Extraordinary or Fickle Luck On A Game Show  (Read 9926 times)

BrandonFG

Extraordinary or Fickle Luck On A Game Show
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2003, 05:28:01 PM »
For fickle, how about anyone on Feud who ends up with 199 points in Fast Money?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2003, 05:28:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Esoteric Eric\' date=\'Nov 12 2003, 12:12 AM\'][quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 01:23 PM\']

A contestant on The New Treasure Hunt wanted to take box #1, but changed her mind for some reason; at the end of the show, Geoff reveals that box #1 had the $25,000 in it.
[/quote]
You beat me to it, TDG...

I remembered that the young lady told Geoff she wanted either Box X (#1? I couldn't recall) or Box Y (the one that she wound up with) of the 29 remaining boxes for Game Two.  She chose Box Y, turned down the cash envelope and got klunked.  At the end of the show, she was quite distraught when Box X was revealed as the location of the $25,000 check.[/quote]
I happen to remember that--she screamed, jumped out of her seat and ran up on stage when Geoff revealed where the check was.  I was so surprised--I would think that she would have been rushed backstage to sign the release forms as soon as her spot was finished and not brought back into the studio.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2003, 08:56:25 AM »

I remember a show from the early '80s where the first player got 199.  The second player's first three answers all got 0 - the audience was really going nuts when that third 0 came up, thinking they may have blown it.  The fourth answer was worth 42 to give them the win.

I don't know if that show was ever run on GSN, but that would be a keeper if it ever comes up.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

byrd62

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2003, 05:46:54 PM »
Pyramid has had its share of moments of extraordinary and fickle luck, though in this case, I don't know if officials' decisions are matters of luck.

Extraordinary luck:  A contestant's answer in the Winners' Circle isn't counted in the last category....until after further review by the officials, which results in a $10k win.

Fickle luck:  The officials sound the buzzer several times to rob a contestant of $10k or $25k in the Winners' Circle because they determined that an illegal clue was given on the last category, which happened a few times.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2003, 07:25:25 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' date=\'Nov 13 2003, 05:46 PM\'] Extraordinary luck:  A contestant's answer in the Winners' Circle isn't counted in the last category....until after further review by the officials, which results in a $10k win. [/quote]
This doesn't qualify as luck either, per se, but on Blockbusters last weekend, we saw a Gold Run player give the answer "Harold Hesseman" for the clue "He played Johnny Fever".  The correct answer was, of course, Howard Hesseman, but neither Bill nor the judge ruled him wrong.  This error was not caught until the commercial break, so his $5,000 win stood.

John Ricci's video page includes the same kind of judging lapse: during a bonus round win on Super Password, the two-word clue "high school" got past the judges.  Again, the win stood.

Not every such judging error goes in favor of the contestant, though.  I recall one Supermarket Sweep team who, just before the Big Sweep, lost 30 seconds from their sweep time because they used an illegal clue during the 30-Second Shooutout game (you cannot repeat clues given by another team).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 07:29:12 PM by GS Warehouse »

zachhoran

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2003, 09:09:36 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Nov 13 2003, 07:25 PM\']
This doesn't qualify as luck either, per se, but on Blockbusters last weekend, we saw a Gold Run player give the answer "Harold Hesseman" for the clue "He played Johnny Fever".  The correct answer was, of course, Howard Hesseman, but neither Bill nor the judge ruled him wrong.  This error was not caught until the commercial break, so his $5,000 win stood.

[/quote]
 SPeaking of errors, I'm wondering if this error on Davidson TPIR in 1994 was ever rectified: A contestant won the third prize, a Car, on Superball, but had not won the first two prizes, and the contestant didn't get the chance to win the SUperball and try to win the other two prizes as was normally the case.

tommycharles

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2003, 12:02:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 13 2003, 08:56 AM\']

I remember a show from the early '80s where the first player got 199.  The second player's first three answers all got 0 - the audience was really going nuts when that third 0 came up, thinking they may have blown it.  The fourth answer was worth 42 to give them the win.

I don't know if that show was ever run on GSN, but that would be a keeper if it ever comes up. [/quote]
 Didn't this happen on the Hatfield/McCoy week as well?

For extraordinary luck - how about any time someone actually won "Gauntlet" on Eubanks' powerball show.

dougal18

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2003, 06:54:06 AM »
Watching the PYCR repeats on Challenge there was this one.

One couple bust on the last card of the 1st row.  Bruce moved them up to Row 2 and they proceeded to gamble the lot on the card being lower than King.  Up pops an Ace.

Brakus

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2003, 03:56:51 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Nov 12 2003, 05:28 PM\'] For fickle, how about anyone on Feud who ends up with 199 points in Fast Money? [/quote]
 Actually, during the first WCW week in May 1990, Road Warrior Animal was playing second in Fast Money, and because his mind blanked out on "Name something that's hard to do when your hair is too long" ("Go for a walk, heh") and "Name a word that rhymes with 'rush'" (*pause* "Cush..." *shaking head*), he could only get the score up to 196. He only needed 36 points on the last question, and he only got 32. Upon the close but non-winning finish, Animal stomps on Ray's foot. :)
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

zachhoran

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2003, 10:00:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 13 2003, 08:56 AM\']

[/quote]
 On today's(9:30AM EST) late 1979 syndie Feud GSN airing, the first player gets 180 points in Fast Money, and the family still fails to win the big money(forget their final FM score). Did any first player ever get more than 180 and still have their family not win the big money?

JMFabiano

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2003, 11:45:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Brakus\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 12:41 AM\'] I seem to remember a contestant named Fran who became new champion at the top of the show, and played Money Cards. She busted out on the second level with two Kings. (This was right after the new G2T2 was introduced but long before the "tie = push" rule.)

The next Money Cards she played, she got a double King on the first level and busted, then moved to the second level and said "This time I'm betting $150 lower." Flip...

Ace.

Jim: "Fran.... don't go to Las Vegas."

Thankfully she was able to turn it into $400 by the time she got to the Big Bet. [/quote]
 Ah yes, one of our CS Icons from the good old days.  The aforementioned Lois Lambert is another one...think we even invented the fandom for her (we really need to get back in touch someday, it's been too long!)  

Another one from the Original Soria Tapes was on a TJW episode, started with female contestant Zee at the Bonus Game, where she quit right on the cusp of a victory after a false finish.  Leading to Jack giving her a "what if" spin and the famous soundbite..."Oh, devil, come up!"  Her next opponent looked like Professor Klump (of Nutty Professor fame).  I forget his name, but he proceeded to win the game with three jokers...and come the bonus game, he won, first spin, with the natural triple!
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

zachhoran

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2003, 09:21:36 AM »
[quote name=\'dmota104\' date=\'Nov 9 2003, 09:51 AM\']

\TJW: Hal "Lucky Suit" Shear needing to spin three jokers and answer a question correctly or else his reign as champion is over.  The jokers come through in the clutch and he wins with a correct answer.

. [/quote]
 There was a TJW contestant in 1983 in a similar pickle, spinning three jokers and winning the game when going for their fifth win and a new car.

zachhoran

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2003, 10:23:01 AM »
Today's 10/12/1988 GSN airing of WOF had a contestant with some not-so-bad and some not-so-good luck on it. A contestant lost nearly $15K to a Bankrupt in round three, and then spun $5K THREE times in a row in round four, and on his third spin(racking up nearly $15K so far) calling a letter not in the puzzle.