Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Hub picks up its first GS:  (Read 27244 times)

tpirfan28

The Hub picks up its first GS:
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2010, 02:39:58 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'248491\' date=\'Sep 30 2010, 02:25 PM\']Is there any kind of bonus round at the end?[/quote]
No.  Just totaling up cash and awarding a bonus to the team with the highest cash total.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

SwohS Emag

« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'248492\' date=\'Sep 30 2010, 02:39 PM\'][quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'248491\' date=\'Sep 30 2010, 02:25 PM\']Is there any kind of bonus round at the end?[/quote]
No.  Just totaling up cash and awarding a bonus to the team with the highest cash total.
[/quote]

It sounds like "Family Challenge" with Hasbro corporate brand synergy, but all-in-all fun.  It's great to see Todd Newton back in action, too.

BrandonFG

« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2010, 04:29:48 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'248492\' date=\'Sep 30 2010, 02:39 PM\'][quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'248491\' date=\'Sep 30 2010, 02:25 PM\']Is there any kind of bonus round at the end?[/quote]
[/quote]
I'm guessing all families keep their money regardless?

Sounds like a fun little effort, and based on your description, it would make for some awesome Saturday morning programming.

/Although it would kinda negate the title Family Game Night ;-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tpirfan28

« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'248498\' date=\'Sep 30 2010, 04:29 PM\']I'm guessing all families keep their money regardless?
/Although it would kinda negate the title Family Game Night ;-)[/quote]
I'm pretty sure that's how it works (since there's the bonus).  It wasn't entirely clear.  Probably going to re-watch it later and post some sort of detailed recap.

I'm thinking this would work excellent as a pairing with Wipeout in the summer (if Wipeout could make it at 9).
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Neumms

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2010, 04:52:18 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'248498\' date=\'Sep 30 2010, 03:29 PM\']I'm guessing all families keep their money regardless?[/quote]

Yes. He mentioned that several times.

It's not bad. Todd tried gamely to bring some personality out of the contestants but they didn't give him much time. The Cranium game was a boring time suck, and the format of the Scrabble variation made it slow and dull. Seems like they could use a good end game, but maybe they want to avoid ending on a sour note.

Cute show, though, especially once they figure out which games are better than others and if they give Todd a little space with the families.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2010, 04:54:33 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'248499\' date=\'Sep 30 2010, 04:36 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'248498\' date=\'Sep 30 2010, 04:29 PM\']I'm guessing all families keep their money regardless?[/quote]
I'm pretty sure that's how it works (since there's the bonus).  It wasn't entirely clear.[/quote]
I gathered that only the winning team kept the money.  (Beat by Neumms.)

I agree with Brandon.  This would be a great Saturday morning show.  I say air it on Saturday mornings in spite of the name.  It's always night somewhere in the world! ;-)

I was thoroughly impressed with FGN.  Todd Newton works so well with kids and families, and he's not in super-hyper Whammy! mode.  The games are creative and fun.  It's an enjoyable way to spend an hour.

I'm watching Pictureka! as I type this.  The Maze Craze round is reminiscent of The MoneyMaze, even though it's not a true maze.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:55:17 PM by MikeK »

golden-road

« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2010, 05:37:52 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'248502\' date=\'Sep 30 2010, 03:54 PM\']I'm watching Pictureka! as I type this.  The Maze Craze round is reminiscent of The MoneyMaze, even though it's not a true maze.[/quote]

The guitar guy in the video on the website; is he the actual host, or just the "house band"?

tpirfan28

« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2010, 05:44:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'248501\' date=\'Sep 30 2010, 04:52 PM\']It's not bad. Todd tried gamely to bring some personality out of the contestants but they didn't give him much time. The Cranium game was a boring time suck, and the format of the Scrabble variation made it slow and dull. Seems like they could use a good end game, but maybe they want to avoid ending on a sour note.[/quote]
Cranium needs to be made into a carbon copy of Supermarket Sweep's round robin game.  Speed it up a lot.

I found Scrabble to be one of the stronger parts - it moved along quickly enough and was a very interesting variant.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2010, 06:43:40 PM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'248506\' date=\'Sep 30 2010, 05:37 PM\']The guitar guy in the video on the website; is he the actual host, or just the "house band"?[/quote]
One-man house band.

weaklink75

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2010, 08:01:07 PM »
FGN isn't too bad- the mix of games will keep it fresh each week, and there are some good twists to them (I loved the Guesstures one). The final part is very Break The Bank '85-ish with the cash cards...and yes, a family could win the bonus trip even if they lose all of the rounds with a lucky choice at the beginning with their free card pick, but it's only a 1 in 21 shot (and the other family would have won 5 prizes plus the cash they got from their cards, so it still would be a good amount for them in total)..BTW, Buzzerblog tweeted that FGN has 26 eps to start, and Pictureka has 65 eps to start.

Jamey Greek

« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2010, 08:15:59 PM »
I watched FGN on TLC today and it's a good show.  I just wish the announcer would be more involved and Todd wouldn't have to do the prize plugs and the contestant plugs himself.  I am old-fashioned when it comes to those things.  But all in all it's a good thing the announcers hardly being involved is my one beef with game shows these days.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2010, 10:03:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'248486\' date=\'Sep 30 2010, 10:55 AM\']Preview episodes of shows on The Hub are available on Comcast On Demand (including the games).[/quote]
Verizon, too.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that the TLC episode of FGN was different (and imo a better episode).

FGN was good, even though there was plenty of stuff I found iffy (eg the crowd shots, low cash card amounts vis-a-vis very large top dollar) and Guesstures looked slow as all get out.  It's really interesting to how badly a game of charades needs a floor.

Pictureka is a little too frenetic for my tastes, but damn if that's not one of the best sets I've ever seen.
This signature is currently under construction.

BillCullen1

« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2010, 02:19:07 AM »
I like The Scrabble Cubes and Operation segments myself. The show seems to move at a good pace and Todd Newton did a good job as host (not too over the top). They advertised a new episode of FGN this Friday. I'm figuring they'll do different games on each show, a la TPIR.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:19:32 AM by BillCullen1 »

Clay Zambo

« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2010, 09:58:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' post=\'248941\' date=\'Oct 9 2010, 08:15 PM\']I just wish the announcer would be more involved and Todd wouldn't have to do the prize plugs and the contestant plugs himself.[/quote]

I was surprised about that, too, since there *is* an announcer.  But that's a pretty slim quibble.  This is a really charming idea for a show, and quite well executed.  I thought playing five games in an hour would require padding, but the pacing was solid, and the games themselves provided a nice mix of playalong and "you have to just watch" varieties.

Nice work, Hubsters!
czambo@mac.com

chad1m

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2010, 01:36:59 PM »
I posted my mainly positive review this morning. I really liked them both and look forward to more episodes.