Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Hub picks up its first GS:  (Read 27238 times)

mmb5

The Hub picks up its first GS:
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2010, 03:02:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'241151\' date=\'May 20 2010, 12:25 PM\']
and at some point somehow they even did Barcode Battler. °_°
Didn't that, like, fail six months after release? And tremendously suck?
[/quote]

My niece came to work one day and was absolutely fascinated by my barcode scanner (I used to program software for barcode systems, so I had it for testing).  That became the easiest Christmas present I ever bought.  She ran around the house scanning everything.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2010, 06:13:20 PM »
Okay, that's adorable -- imagining a little girl running around pointing a barcode scanner at stuff and mimicking the "beep" sound is just too cute. Thanks for brightening up my day, Mike. :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:54:06 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

J.R.

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2010, 07:28:03 PM »
[quote name=\'CeleTheRef\' post=\'241141\' date=\'May 20 2010, 07:26 AM\']In Italy in the 90s we had a few gameshows for kids based on some Milton Bradley and Mattel boardgames.  
They were giant-sized reproductions of the boardgames, with some rules changed.

A few I can remember are Hotel, Connect Four, Guess Who, Twister, Ready! Set! Spaghetti!, Splat!, Pirates' Gold (two versions) and at some point somehow they even did Barcode Battler  °_°[/quote]
Who knew Italy had such a rich game show history?

That's actually pretty cool.
-Joe Raygor

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2010, 04:33:18 AM »
The last board game connection I remember concerning Jumble was with Cadaco. Not like Hasbro couldn't also latch onto rights for a new project.
I've had a BOGGLE tv game format sitting around for some time. Was ready to send it to Dan Enright before he passed. Mr. Boden - any interest, let me know.

dazztardly

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2010, 03:17:12 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' post=\'241189\' date=\'May 21 2010, 03:33 AM\']The last board game connection I remember concerning Jumble was with Cadaco. Not like Hasbro couldn't also latch onto rights for a new project.
I've had a BOGGLE tv game format sitting around for some time. Was ready to send it to Dan Enright before he passed. Mr. Boden - any interest, let me know.[/quote]

Could be interesting to see it come back. Aside from our interactive version...I know Boggle was a popular format in The Netherlands from '89 to '96.

dazztardly

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2010, 03:19:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'241153\' date=\'May 20 2010, 11:43 AM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'241152\' date=\'May 20 2010, 12:33 PM\']
With some of those who were caught in the crossfire of that production drama, it still lingers to this day.
Wait, what? For a show that was finished ten years ago, there are still lingering anything? I don't buy it.
Nor do I. The show was gone in what, seven months? How could there possibly have been that much drama in such little time?[/quote]
Seven months? You guys are giving Bullard's Card Sharks way too much -- it got canned in seventeen weeks (although the last four weeks were repeats).
[/quote]

It was beyond the actual seventeen weeks, as to why it was bad behind the scenes.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2010, 03:00:12 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'241014\' date=\'May 17 2010, 10:59 PM\']Game of Life
To me, this has the same problem as Monopoly, too complex to play in 22 minutes.[/quote] The problem for me is that Game of Life really isn't all that complex at all. Spin the wheel, move your Chevy Astrovan that many spaces, do what it says, and wake up the players.

I think the only choices are whether to buy stock when you get the chance, or whether to go to college/business school.

Clue
With some creative liberties, it could make for a nice murder mystery...but with the same characters, it could get repetitive.
Solve a Fame Game puzzle for the right to make a supposition or whatever allows you to peek at the hand of your opponents.

Pay Day
Haven't played in years, but with some modifications, it could have potential. However, it could also fall into the Life/Monopoly trap.
The problem I had with Pay Day is that it seems that there was never enough money. And the choices were limited to whether to going for the Deals that would pop up occasionally (Craigslist tie-in?) or whether to pay the insurance premium that would allow you to chuck the bills of a particular kind. Around our neighborhood, it became known as The Game of Life Isn't Fair.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241244\' date=\'May 22 2010, 02:00 PM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'241014\' date=\'May 17 2010, 10:59 PM\']Game of Life
To me, this has the same problem as Monopoly, too complex to play in 22 minutes.[/quote] The problem for me is that Game of Life really isn't all that complex at all. Spin the wheel, move your Chevy Astrovan that many spaces, do what it says, and wake up the players.

I think the only choices are whether to buy stock when you get the chance, or whether to go to college/business school.
[/quote]May I suggest an alternative, then?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:47:58 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2010, 02:08:46 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241244\' date=\'May 22 2010, 12:00 PM\']The problem I had with Pay Day is that it seems that there was never enough money.[/quote]
Isn't it always, my friend. Isn't it always.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2010, 02:20:45 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'241268\' date=\'May 22 2010, 11:08 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241244\' date=\'May 22 2010, 12:00 PM\']The problem I had with Pay Day is that it seems that there was never enough money.[/quote]
Isn't it always, my friend. Isn't it always.[/quote]Y'know, that's funny. I useta enjoy playing Pay Day, because it had to do with finances, and it was a game and so that was OK by me.

Little did I know that years later, I would be living it. I hate getting mail these days, because it is NEVER good. It is always someone who wants money. So Pay Day can go pound sand. :)
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2010, 02:36:22 AM »
[quote name=\''TLEberle'\']
Haven't played in years, but with some modifications, it could have potential. However, it could also fall into the Life/Monopoly trap.
The problem I had with Pay Day is that it seems that there was never enough money. And the choices were limited to whether to going for the Deals that would pop up occasionally (Craigslist tie-in?) or whether to pay the insurance premium that would allow you to chuck the bills of a particular kind. Around our neighborhood, it became known as The Game of Life Isn't Fair.
[/quote]
I just skimmed over the rules on Wiki, and I think if the game were given a slight Press Your Luck treatment* (in selecting the day), it could work very well. Just have the players play to a goal (let's say $10,000), and make the game board a little more generic and not as specific. Maybe make two Fridays out the month the "Pay Day" for a set jackpot BUT you have to answer a question or two to win the jackpot. Even though it would be a generic month, the 13th could be the "unlucky" day where you forfeit your turn, O.S.I. Mondays could be the day where you have to forfeit money. Yes, I know it's derivative of Wheel, work with me here...maybe even have one of the restaurant chains sponsor "Ruby Tuesdays" or "TGI Fridays"...a show like this could go more in the Scrabble route with creativity, and less in the Monopoly route.

This is all off the top of my head, as it is late in my part of town. ;-)

*It would also be very similar to a Commodore 64 game I had as a child called "T.G.I.F.", which I'm guessing was similar to Pay Day, in which each player randomly selected a day of the week a la Press Your Luck, and each day of the week had a specific setting, i.e. Tuesday was a penalty, Wednesday was a bonus, Friday was the designated payday. However, I seem to remember on one day of the week, you could purchase a special prize with your money, a la old-school Wheel.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2010, 02:48:26 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'241272\' date=\'May 22 2010, 11:36 PM\']O.S.I. Mondays could be the day where you have to forfeit money.[/quote] I like what you did there.

...a show like this could go more in the Scrabble  route with creativity, and less in the Monopoly route.
Oh, I think you absolutely have to do something like that. Since it is ten minutes into SNL here, I haven't given a whole lot of thought to it, I do think you have to say "OK, we're going to make a derivative product, how can we keep the spirit of the original there without being handcuffed to it?"

(Just because I'm here and I thought of it, I would have Task Days and Mail Days. Task Days allow you to "do" something to build up money, and "Mail Days" suck it away and whoever is closest to solvency at the end of the show wins the game.)
Travis L. Eberle

CeleTheRef

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2010, 08:50:52 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241270\' date=\'May 23 2010, 08:20 AM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'241268\' date=\'May 22 2010, 11:08 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241244\' date=\'May 22 2010, 12:00 PM\']The problem I had with Pay Day is that it seems that there was never enough money.[/quote]
Isn't it always, my friend. Isn't it always.[/quote]Y'know, that's funny. I useta enjoy playing Pay Day, because it had to do with finances, and it was a game and so that was OK by me.

Little did I know that years later, I would be living it. I hate getting mail these days, because it is NEVER good. It is always someone who wants money. So Pay Day can go pound sand. :)
[/quote]

In Italy we have had a PayDay-like gameshow in 1992 titled "Porca Miseria!" (an expression like "dammit!") and it lasted for two seasons.

Season 1 ran in the late night slot and every week there was one family playing the game. The family started with 2,447,000 lire (the average income of a family at the time) and used a spinner to determine how many spaces they moved (1 to 4) on a 30 spaces board.  The Rischiatutto theme was played at every spin ^_^

Some spaces had bills to pay, others offered a chance to earn or save money.

Some of such opportunities required answering a question or completing a task (like "your daughter needs some extra math lessons.  you can homeschool her if you tell me which of the following numbers is a prime number.  otherwise, it's 150,000 lire for a private teacher")

Others involved a game of chance and usually questioned the morality of the family ("your dog is getting old and needs vet attention. the vet's fee is 200,000 lire.  but you know what, I've got some poisoned dog food right here for just 10 thousand...")
After the choice was made, an assistant illustrated the probability of being caught doing something illegal and any applicable penalties, taking inspiration from real-life statistics.
Finally, he spun a carnival wheel with adjustable sections, to see if they did the right thing.

After the board was completed, if the family had still money left, they won that money and tried to answer a final question for a 15 million bonus.  If they went broke, they still played the bonus but for just 3 million.

Season 2 aired in primetime and had a bigger budget. There were two competing families, and they went through all of the 30 spaces one at a time.
After every 5 spaces there was a special question. The family who answered it correctly added 30 million to their "bonus bank".  
After board completion, each family was asked a batch of final questions. For each second spent in coming up with the answers, the family lost 1/60 of their bonus bank. When all the correct answers were given, the bonus bank was added to their regular score, and that was their final score.  The family with the highest total score won the money.

To make things more complicated, one member of the audience was randomly drawn at the beginning of the show and awarded with 1 million. During the game, the family with the least money can ask that audience member to give them the million in excange of a share of their final winnings.  If they really win, that's it  ^_^

here's the show's cast with the "starting check"
http://data.kataweb.it/kpm2x/field/image/kpmimage/2321726
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:51:58 PM by CeleTheRef »

byrd62

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »
Looks like The Hub just picked up Pictureka!

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2010/06.../20100603hub01/

weaklink75

« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2010, 04:41:42 PM »
The Hub has updated their website with some photos of both FGN and Pictureka, and we have some timeslots...

Family Game Night (The Guesstures one looks good actually- they certainly aren't scrimping on set pieces...)

Pictureka (appears to be Weekdays at 4pm Eastern)

Also some Video of Pictureka..
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 04:47:40 PM by weaklink75 »