Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Hub picks up its first GS:  (Read 27242 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Hub picks up its first GS:
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 10:38:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'241074\' date=\'May 18 2010, 07:33 PM\']Considering that Mandel is not only a huge game show fan (along with Boden), but also created Half Off, I suddenly feel a boost of confidence in Boden's new endeavor.[/quote] He's as big a fan as they come, but I would file Half-Off under 'minimally exceptional,' and I think I'm being very charitable in that.
Travis L. Eberle

itiparanoid13

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 10:40:48 PM »
For the record, by "folks" he means around two or three commenters said it, not me or more than like one or two percent of the commenters.  I'm staying far away from those comments since it's simply not going to happen and almost delusional to think so.

dazztardly

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 05:41:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'241074\' date=\'May 18 2010, 10:33 PM\']Which reminds me -- what is Fremantle's reasoning for retooling formats that needed zero retooling?[/quote]

It was because some people were trying to stroke their egos, by attempting to reinvent the wheel.

Card Sharks was a prime example from 2000-2001. With some of those who were caught in the crossfire of that production drama, it still lingers to this day.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:42:23 PM by dazztardly »

BrandonFG

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 05:46:18 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'241110\' date=\'May 19 2010, 05:41 PM\']It was because some people were trying to stroke their egos, by attempting to reinvent the wheel.

Card Sharks was a prime example from 2000-2001. With some of those who were caught in the crossfire of that production drama, it still lingers to this day.[/quote]
And strangely enough, they manage to miss the small aesthetic things that don't absolutely no difference on the show, but wouldn't hurt either. A few examples: the bells on Feud signaling the #1 answer or when a family steals the bank, CG'g the amount of a prize on LMaD. Again, makes no difference on the final production, but it at least makes the show look a little more polished IMO.

And don't even get me started on the gratuitous applause over everything.

/Resume still available upon request
//I promise to treat your show as something more than just a quick paycheck
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 10:22:04 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'241006\' date=\'May 17 2010, 08:25 PM\']Other Hasbro games I can think of:

Game of Life
Clue
Pictionary
Pay Day
Scattergories
Parcheesi
Twister
Magic 8 Ball
Ouija
Mystery Date - late nights for this one.[/quote]

Going down the Ol' Parker Brothers road...

Risk (Leaning towards the Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego geography angle rather than the war angle).

And of course, "Million Dollar Pit" :)

Sodboy13

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 10:32:13 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'241119\' date=\'May 19 2010, 09:22 PM\']And of course, "Million Dollar Pit" :)[/quote]

They already tried "Set For Life" once.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 11:58:58 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'241110\' date=\'May 19 2010, 02:41 PM\']With some of those who were caught in the crossfire of that production drama, it still lingers to this day.[/quote]Wait, what? For a show that was finished ten years ago, there are still lingering anything? I don't buy it.

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'241111\' date=\'May 19 2010, 02:46 PM\']And strangely enough, they manage to miss the small aesthetic things that don't absolutely no difference on the show, but wouldn't hurt either.[/quote] But they would add something. I've been watching the episodes this season, and it seems like Number One is just another answer. The thing about the bell as a sound effect is that after watching a couple of times, you knew what had happened, whether it was winning the face-off, or a successful steal, or failing it at Fast Money. Now they have the horn section for the face off, that tension bed for Bullseye/Fast Money, and with just three questions, the game is over before you really have a chance to get into it. Whether or not they're just going through the motions to put out a product with as little effort as possible, it is less fun and exciting as the version I grew up with, which is too bad.

/Resume still available upon request
//I promise to treat your show as something more than just a quick paycheck
I swear, if I win the Mega Millions or equivalent, I'm going to build the game show equivalent of Revision3, and hire a bunch of really talented and competent people to put out some good content.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 12:42:52 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'241075\' date=\'May 18 2010, 09:38 PM\'][quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'241074\' date=\'May 18 2010, 07:33 PM\']Considering that Mandel is not only a huge game show fan (along with Boden), but also created Half Off, I suddenly feel a boost of confidence in Boden's new endeavor.[/quote] He's as big a fan as they come, but I would file Half-Off under 'minimally exceptional,' and I think I'm being very charitable in that.
[/quote]
Not that it'll sway your opinion or anything, but I remember reading somewhere that the original blueprint for this game had the contestant playing for a car , where one of the 16 boxes had the keys inside.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 12:46:46 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'241130\' date=\'May 19 2010, 09:42 PM\']Not that it'll sway your opinion or anything, but I remember reading somewhere that the original blueprint for this game had the contestant playing for a car , where one of the 16 boxes had the keys inside.[/quote]So, erm, yay? :)

My problems are that the play-in bit ranges from easy to laughable, that the opening of a box was neat on Treasure Hunt and I'm not really fond of it as a reveal here, and, well, they give someone who gets pricing decisions right but loses out on the $10k some consolation money, so they fixed that...

Again, bully for Mandel for developing a game and working with it through the production process, and finally being able to see it on TV and all. I'm just not fond of it. And Half Off is in plenty of company. There are probably a dozen or two games that I would cut and I don't think the show would suffer overmuch for it.
Travis L. Eberle

William_S.

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2010, 06:43:33 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'240986\' date=\'May 17 2010, 04:20 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'240979\' date=\'May 17 2010, 11:45 AM\']I'm looking forward to the Connect Four segment, presumably with checkers 3' in diameter and a 3-story-tall game board! Maybe in a 21st Century twist, opposing players will be on a narrow greased catwalk atop the board, each with a giant cushion to protect a column.[/quote]
Will celebs be involved in this? :)
[/quote]
heh I'm sure the intro would look more like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDXw9SggErk...feature=related

Buuuhhht. I prefer this theme.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyfvj5rkteE...feature=related

or this..  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Q3C3apLpk

we can only wait!!

Edit Edit: there fixed it
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 08:48:43 PM by William_S. »

CeleTheRef

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 08:26:06 AM »
In Italy in the 90s we had a few gameshows for kids based on some Milton Bradley and Mattel boardgames.  
They were giant-sized reproductions of the boardgames, with some rules changed.

A few I can remember are Hotel, Connect Four, Guess Who, Twister, Ready! Set! Spaghetti!, Splat!, Pirates' Gold (two versions) and at some point somehow they even did Barcode Battler  °_°

unfortunately I cannot find any picture of them :(

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM »
In Italy in the 90s we had a few gameshows for kids based on some Milton Bradley and Mattel boardgames. They were giant-sized reproductions of the boardgames, with some rules changed.

A few I can remember are [...] Connect Four,
A ready-made format for the American version, then.

Guess Who
I can kinda see how that could work.

and at some point somehow they even did Barcode Battler. °_°
Didn't that, like, fail six months after release? And tremendously suck?

Twister
There's no way I can figure this without going into the gutter, and even then the "game" is watching six pretty, flexible ladies touching each other for lengthy periods of time. Much like Playboy's game show efforts, really, all of which could've been called Small Game, Big Boobies.

/what?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:51:40 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2010, 12:33:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'241151\' date=\'May 20 2010, 11:25 AM\']/And adding "&feature=related" is not necessary, since it doesn't change the video or the output. This is a common mistake, but sometimes the full address view is obscured by the "related" tag.[/quote]And I don't think it hurts anything either, does it, Daniel?

For someone who has made a fair amount of bloopers in 222 posts, you're awful quick to jump on others too.

With some of those who were caught in the crossfire of that production drama, it still lingers to this day.
Wait, what? For a show that was finished ten years ago, there are still lingering anything? I don't buy it.
Nor do I.  The show was gone in what, seven months?  How could there possibly have been that much drama in such little time?

As far as 1/2 off goes; I like the pricing element of it and that's it.  Don't like the fact that some assclown who gets 0 prizes right can still win more than the guy who nails all three.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:36:41 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2010, 12:43:27 PM »
With some of those who were caught in the crossfire of that production drama, it still lingers to this day.
Wait, what? For a show that was finished ten years ago, there are still lingering anything? I don't buy it.
Nor do I. The show was gone in what, seven months? How could there possibly have been that much drama in such little time?
Seven months? You guys are giving Bullard's Card Sharks way too much -- it got canned after 17 weeks, although the last four were repeats.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:53:06 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2010, 01:15:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'241151\' date=\'May 20 2010, 09:25 AM\']Didn't that, like, fail six months after release? And tremendously suck?[/quote]
It was INSANELY popular in Japan (in fact, there was a shortage of a certain brand of ramen for a while when it was discovered that the barcode on it was incredibly powerful), and guilty of bad marketing in the US...it was marketed as an alternative to a Game Boy or a Game Gear, and 1) it wasn't even close, both in price and in functionality, and 2) going up against those in the 1991 handheld game climate was business suicide.

Whether it "sucked" or not is subjective. I always wanted one, personally, because the idea of pitting a box of Tide up against a can of Chunky Soup amused the hell out of me (you'd think it would be a natural for TPiR fans, too), but they were hard to find in my area. Barcode Beasties is a similar game for Android, but I'd love to see someone do a straight port of the original Barcode Battler in the same vein as LED Football for the iTouch /iPhone.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:17:14 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe