Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game shows locally pre-empted that you could watch on another affiliat  (Read 14252 times)

Jimmy Owen

Game shows locally pre-empted that you could watch on another affiliat
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 06:49:57 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'251327\' date=\'Nov 21 2010, 03:02 AM\']Did Tattletales air in reruns after its 1984 cancellation? I have a SE PA TV Guide which has WHTM-27 (ABC) airing it at 10:30 a.m.[/quote]
Yes. Several markets in Michigan ran it as well.  IIRC, Firestone syndicated the reruns.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2010, 10:09:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'251328\' date=\'Nov 21 2010, 06:49 AM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'251327\' date=\'Nov 21 2010, 03:02 AM\']Did Tattletales air in reruns after its 1984 cancellation? I have a SE PA TV Guide which has WHTM-27 (ABC) airing it at 10:30 a.m.[/quote]
Yes. Several markets in Michigan ran it as well.  IIRC, Firestone syndicated the reruns.
[/quote]

Ditto Boston (WCVB, preempting Feud) and Miami (WSVN, preempting I think Scrabble). Was it only syndicated to markets that didn't get the 80's CBS run which would've made quite a few markets.

BrandonFG

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'251332\' date=\'Nov 21 2010, 10:09 AM\']Was it only syndicated to markets that didn't get the 80's CBS run which would've made quite a few markets.[/quote]
I've wondered that as well. WVEC (the ABC affiliate) in Norfolk aired it at 10:30am, while WTKR only aired the first few months when it originally aired in 1982.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

davidhammett

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2010, 07:02:50 PM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'251017\' date=\'Nov 15 2010, 10:26 PM\']On a simliar vein, how many of you wacthed a game show that was pre-empted in your market, and would put up with a lousy signal from another market just to see it?  I can recall my first 'viewing' of Mr. Cullen's "Chain Reaction", thanks to WCYB-5's noon news, was on WTVK-26 Knoxville (which was NBC at that time).  Granted all I could do was listen to it... there was no discernible video; we were 90 miles away and the rooftop antenna was crappy for UHF.  I still have my audio tape of the episode somewhere.  "Go!" was 'viewed' similarly, as was "Break the Bank" on WPCQ-36 Charlotte, NC.

And how about lollygagging around as a kid in a motel, making your parents wait to check out so you could watch a show you'd never seen before?  On one trip in 1987 there were multiple 'incidents' so I could watch "Strike It Rich" on WHTM-27 Harrisburg, PA, Monty's "Split Second" on WHEC-10 Rochester (on the Ottawa, ON cable system), and "Guess What" and "Food For Thought" in Toronto (can't recall who carried those).[/quote]
Yes on both counts!  I can remember "hearing" shows like "Match Game '73" and even "Jackpot" from the Macon affiliates because they weren't picked up in Atlanta, but I could get a bit of a signal from further south.  And no vacation trip in 1974 or 1975 wasn't complete without my watching any number of shows in the motel room... either before checkout, or after an early arrival.  It's the only way I ever got to see "Jackpot," "Blank Check," "Password ('75)," "Money Maze," "Magnificent Marble Machine," "Musical Chairs," and others on air.

Offshored2007

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 08:06:12 AM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'251360\' date=\'Nov 21 2010, 07:02 PM\'][quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'251017\' date=\'Nov 15 2010, 10:26 PM\']On a simliar vein, how many of you wacthed a game show that was pre-empted in your market, and would put up with a lousy signal from another market just to see it?  I can recall my first 'viewing' of Mr. Cullen's "Chain Reaction", thanks to WCYB-5's noon news, was on WTVK-26 Knoxville (which was NBC at that time).  Granted all I could do was listen to it... there was no discernible video; we were 90 miles away and the rooftop antenna was crappy for UHF.  I still have my audio tape of the episode somewhere.  "Go!" was 'viewed' similarly, as was "Break the Bank" on WPCQ-36 Charlotte, NC.

And how about lollygagging around as a kid in a motel, making your parents wait to check out so you could watch a show you'd never seen before?  On one trip in 1987 there were multiple 'incidents' so I could watch "Strike It Rich" on WHTM-27 Harrisburg, PA, Monty's "Split Second" on WHEC-10 Rochester (on the Ottawa, ON cable system), and "Guess What" and "Food For Thought" in Toronto (can't recall who carried those).[/quote]
Yes on both counts!  I can remember "hearing" shows like "Match Game '73" and even "Jackpot" from the Macon affiliates because they weren't picked up in Atlanta, but I could get a bit of a signal from further south.  And no vacation trip in 1974 or 1975 wasn't complete without my watching any number of shows in the motel room... either before checkout, or after an early arrival.  It's the only way I ever got to see "Jackpot," "Blank Check," "Password ('75)," "Money Maze," "Magnificent Marble Machine," "Musical Chairs," and others on air.
[/quote]
Living in New York growing up, I can't say I have ever seen any game show pre-empted.

aaron sica

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 05:11:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Scrabbleship\' post=\'251332\' date=\'Nov 21 2010, 10:09 AM\']Ditto Boston (WCVB, preempting Feud) and Miami (WSVN, preempting I think Scrabble). Was it only syndicated to markets that didn't get the 80's CBS run which would've made quite a few markets.[/quote]

Nope - the Harrisburg/Lebanon/Lancaster/York TV market got the CBS run. At the time, there were three CBS stations (WLYH-15 in Lebanon, WHP-21 in Harrisburg, WSBA-43 in York) and two of them aired "Tattletales", one for the whole run. WHP-21 flip-flopped back and forth between airing it at noon and 4pm for the entire run, and WSBA-43 aired it at 9:30 in the morning (not sure of when).