Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Late Night Liars  (Read 21171 times)

Matt Ottinger

Late Night Liars
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 11:53:57 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'242339\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 09:38 AM\']From left to right, you have Brett, Charles, rotating ditzy bimbo, and Richard. I think in Mummy's character description, CNR is even mentioned.[/quote]
One of the things they definitely want to do is give you the feeling of camaraderie and chemistry among the panel members, and if you want to make the Match Game comparisons, I'm sure they'd be pleased with the analogy.  Still, there are obvious inspirations for three of the characters that have nothing to do with Match Game.  The Mummy character seems to be an amalgam of CNR and Paul Lynde (the voice is definitely more Lynde) but with a modern-day openness.  The other three are clearly pattered after Joan Rivers, Paris Hilton and Simon Cowell.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jeremy Nelson

Late Night Liars
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2010, 12:54:31 PM »
Well, it seems that for the most part, this guy seems to agree about the camraderie and whatnot.
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.d...RTAIN/100609880
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BillCullen1

Late Night Liars
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2010, 01:06:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'242345\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 11:53 AM\'][quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'242339\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 09:38 AM\']From left to right, you have Brett, Charles, rotating ditzy bimbo, and Richard. I think in Mummy's character description, CNR is even mentioned.[/quote]

The Mummy character seems to be an amalgam of CNR and Paul Lynde (the voice is definitely more Lynde) but with a modern-day openness.  The other three are clearly pattered after Joan Rivers, Paris Hilton and Simon Cowell.  [/quote]

I agree - X gets the square

It's good and one of GSN's better recent efforts, IMO. I like the bonus round, and $500 for each right answer when not winning is pretty good for GSN standards. I'll try to catch the new episode every week.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Late Night Liars
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 01:24:47 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'242351\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 10:06 AM\']I like the bonus round, and $500 for each right answer when not winning is pretty good for GSN standards. I'll try to catch the new episode every week.[/quote]
I think it's a little high and that "Oh, you didn't win the bonus! But your takeaway today is over FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS" sounds a lot silly. $200 per would have been far more reasonable. But then, I'm not watching this because it's a game show, so meh.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dale_grass

Late Night Liars
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'242295\' date=\'Jun 11 2010, 10:59 AM\'][quote name=\'joker316\' post=\'242287\' date=\'Jun 11 2010, 10:13 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'242281\' date=\'Jun 11 2010, 07:33 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'242272\' date=\'Jun 11 2010, 12:14 AM\']you have the Pointy Haired Boss voice[/quote]In trying to explain to someone who Larry Miller is, I admit that credit eluded me.

/"Suck-up salesman in Pretty Woman" seems to be most effective.[/quote]Or the dean in Necessary Roughness[/quote]
Or the murderer in the Law & Order rerun I stumbled onto yesterday.

[/quote]
Larry played one of the few characters in the entire Law & Order franchise to have a recurring role as a criminal (Olivia d'Abo's character Nicole is the only other one I can think of off the top of my head).  He killed his first wife in 1994 and his second in 1996; they nailed him on the second murder.

Jeremy Nelson

Late Night Liars
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2010, 04:54:19 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'242353\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 12:24 PM\'][quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'242351\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 10:06 AM\']I like the bonus round, and $500 for each right answer when not winning is pretty good for GSN standards. I'll try to catch the new episode every week.[/quote]
I think it's a little high and that "Oh, you didn't win the bonus! But your takeaway today is over FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS" sounds a lot silly. $200 per would have been far more reasonable. But then, I'm not watching this because it's a game show, so meh.
[/quote]

Well, on the last season on Bergeron HS, the safe had $10K, yet gave a consolation of $500 for each right answer...and in that case, you still got to return. For a game show where there's no returning champions and only one shot at the big money, I think a $3K-$4K payday is fair. Also remember that this is a weekly GSN original, not a daily.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Late Night Liars
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2010, 05:02:15 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'242366\' date=\'Jun 12 2010, 01:54 PM\']For a game show where there's no returning champions and only one shot at the big money, I think a $3K-$4K payday is fair. Also remember that this is a weekly GSN original, not a daily.[/quote]
Well, we disagree.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Late Night Liars
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 02:37:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'242281\' date=\'Jun 11 2010, 07:33 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'242272\' date=\'Jun 11 2010, 12:14 AM\']you have the Pointy Haired Boss voice[/quote]
In trying to explain to someone who Larry Miller is, I admit that credit eluded me.

/"Suck-up salesman in Pretty Woman" seems to be most effective.
[/quote]
The surly dean in the Eddie Murphy version of The Nutty Professor.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Late Night Liars
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 06:06:09 PM »
I finally figured out something that I don't care for. On a show like Power of 10, where you have the percentage barrel sliding up and down the scale to see whether the contestant wins or not, I don't mind the little tease thing that it does. When you have two puppets who are making strange noises and not getting to the point of "I'm the liar!" it really frosts my birthday cake. They couldn't play another question with the time, but it still looks dumb.
Travis L. Eberle

Vgmastr

Late Night Liars
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2010, 06:59:31 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'242429\' date=\'Jun 13 2010, 05:06 PM\']I finally figured out something that I don't care for. On a show like Power of 10, where you have the percentage barrel sliding up and down the scale to see whether the contestant wins or not, I don't mind the little tease thing that it does. When you have two puppets who are making strange noises and not getting to the point of "I'm the liar!" it really frosts my birthday cake. They couldn't play another question with the time, but it still looks dumb.[/quote]

See, I kind of liked that.  It's an obvious parody of TTTT, but since it's puppets, they made it over the top and silly with the different sounds.  They also didn't draw it out long enough to the point of being obnoxious, IMO.  I thought it fit right in with the rest of the show.

chrisholland03

Late Night Liars
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 07:22:33 PM »
I enjoyed the show -- The Weasel is my favorite character.  I'm hoping for additional characters if the show is renewed, and would enjoy the show more without the phrase 'I love that guy'.

cmjb13

Late Night Liars
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 01:17:42 PM »
I decided to watch since it got pretty good reviews.

I thought the game was OK, but I just didn't find it funny at all. Especially with the contestants & audience laughing at everything (IMO, most if not all, wasn't funny)
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Late Night Liars
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 03:21:12 AM »
I've watched a couple of episodes now...I give it a 9/10.

I think the show is a nice fit for a late night time slot--the show isn't completely sleazy nor is it a dating show.  While the format isn't anything special, it is solid.  Props to the set and (what I presume) is actual alcohol being consumed.  Larry doesn't seem to mind giving equal billing to the Weasel.

Dislikes go to the bonus round payouts($500/per is too much) and the lack of rotating panelists.  That said, this shows me that, along with Baggage show GSN can do studio-based games that aren't as out there as the Carnie Wilson series, yet can add some modern flair too them.

(An additional thumbs down go to GSN's airing schedule).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 07:04:55 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

Late Night Liars
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 09:49:21 AM »
Episode Two, clearly from earlier in the [brief] run, was still solid but not as slick as the debut.  So thanks to GSN's ridiculous policy of running them out of order, we get to watch the show get worse.  With wordier and trickier clues, the bonus was all but unwinable this time.  The storytelling third round was also not nearly as interesting.  The stories were pointless filler that each boiled down to a simple (and in both cases, pretty easy) trivia question. One guy missed his anyway.

Couple of nice things.  In a category of baseball players with dirty-sounding names, one of the choices was 'Pete LaCock'.  After revealing that to be a true name, they stopped and made mention of his game show connection.  Also, previews for next week's show indicate that we will in fact have a guest panelist.  This one is a Mickey Rourke puppet who appears to actually be identified as Mickey Rourke, which is pretty reality-twisting even for them.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Lirodon

Late Night Liars
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2010, 11:44:29 PM »
Alongside Mickey Rourke, another thing I noticed tonight:

By popular demand by multiple parties, the bonus round jackpot was raised to $25,000

which made the resulting win a lot more exciting.