Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Holness (sp?) on Trigger Happy TV  (Read 5655 times)

ITSBRY

Bob Holness (sp?) on Trigger Happy TV
« on: June 19, 2003, 10:32:37 PM »
Did anyone catch this?  The \"host\" of the show questions him about being a game show host and if \"Blockbusters\" will ever return.  He said that it was such a rock solid format, that it would no doubt return someday but that it would only appeal to children.

I have seen only the (magnificent) intro to the Holness version of Blockbusters, so I know nothing about how the game worked except reading that this version was for children.  Have all of the UK versions of BB been for children?

I'm actually quite surprised BB hasn't been tried again in the US since the mid 80s.  This game is so simple and is a great format that could have taken advantage of the Q&A big money quiz show \"boom\" a few years ago.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 02:31:05 AM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Jun 19 2003, 07:32 PM\'] Have all of the UK versions of BB been for children? [/quote]
 I believe so, yes. And I think Holness's response was a little biased for that reason. He didn't know anything else.

I'm actually quite surprised BB hasn't been tried again in the US since the mid 80s.  This game is so simple and is a great format that could have taken advantage of the Q&A big money quiz show \"boom\" a few years ago.

Blockbusters for Big Money would have been horrifying. Some shows are designed to be big-money quizzers, some aren't. Can you imagine The One-Meelion Dollar Match Game? If you can, seek help.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TonicBH

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 06:18:23 AM »
the \"host\" who was asking him the questions was the main man of THTV, Dom Joly.

IIRC from the UKGSP, there was an adult version that was very short-lived.

ObTriggerHappyTV: Dom Joly did acts with some second-rate comedians for a US season. the only saving graces are Joly's bits.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Brig Bother

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 09:58:33 AM »
Crucially, the word here is *students* rather than children (age 16+).

There have been two remakes since it finished with Bob on ITV (although it transferred to SKY ONE with Bob for a bit), one with adults on BBC2 (I do believe there was a reqirement on contestants being mature students, as I recall) and then again on SKY ONE (popular Murdoch owned satellite entertainment channel) with young students again.

It never really took off second or third time round though.

Brig Bother

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 10:01:04 AM »

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 04:15:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 01:31 AM\'] Can you imagine The One-Meelion Dollar Match Game? If you can, seek help. [/quote]

[going to the asylum in shame]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2003, 04:16:01 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

GS Warehouse

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2003, 10:06:38 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jun 20 2003, 01:31 AM\'] Can you imagine The One-Meelion Dollar Match Game? [/quote]
 Is it just me, or is $5,000 already enough just for coming up with just the right word for something like \"Gene ___\"?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2003, 02:00:23 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jun 21 2003, 07:06 AM\'] Is it just me, or is $5,000 already enough just for coming up with just the right word for something like "Gene ___"? [/quote]
 Well, Rayburn, or Wood? :)

(Me, I'd have channelled Patty Deutsch and wrote in \"Gene, the Dancing Machine\". :))

But yes, you see my point. To make what really is a pretty weak game played for that much money is pretty silly.

Not to say that Blockbusters is a weak game. Not at all. But it's certainly lighter fare, and to place Big Money prizes on it takes something away from the game.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe