Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Pyramid Pilot  (Read 18246 times)

Unrealtor

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2010, 06:24:08 PM »
It's still too complicated for my taste, but it reads a bit bitter if you just say that game 1 is two new players, game 2 is the loser of game 1 versus the returning champ, and game 3 is the winner of game 1 versus the champion.

Personally, I'd go for something like swapping partners after each game and each player continuing until they lose twice. That way everyone gets at least one real shot at winning if there's a huge mismatch between celebrities. You could probably also do some kind of money ladder with this if you insisted.

The only way I can think of to have a self-contained day with three games is to borrow from NYSI: Four strangers play the first game as two teams, the two members of the winning team compete against each other with celebrity partners, and the winner of that goes up against the previous day's champion. I don't know how you make the one-and-done fair without randomly assigning partners in each round, but I could see it working.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »
[quote name=\'rjaguar3\' post=\'239206\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 02:54 PM\'][quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'239200\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 03:16 PM\']I'll say it nicely before anyone does meanly. If you need variables to help figure the format out, it's probably not going to work out well on television.[/quote]
It's just the precise way of saying "Congratulations, Sara, you won the first game, so you and Julie will go to the winner's circle to try for $10,000, and then you'll be back in the third game for a chance at $25,000.  John, you lost the first game with Phil Keoghan, so you'll be with Julie Chen for our second game, and our champion Bill will be with Phil for the second game.  John, you need to win this game to have a chance of being the champion."[/quote]
I think Chad's comment stands. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 07:44:02 PM »
Play normal 80's Pyramid (two contestants play two games, swap celebrities in between games), then the winner plays the returning champion in a winner-take-all game.  Or does that give way too much of an advantage to the new contestants?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

BrandonFG

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 08:15:31 PM »
Here's a little something I concocted this afternoon.

Keep celebs/civilians. You could still get a few of the old-schoolers, and I think there's still enough recognizable names on the CBS shows, not to mention the cable channels owned by CBS.

First main game: traditional Pyramid, six categories, 7-in-30. Small bonus card, i.e. the 7-11
First bonus round: similar to the "words beginning with ___" tiebreaker, or the Double Trouble category from Davidson's version, 7-in-45. Each correct answer is worth $200, $10,000 for all 7.
Second main game: traditional Pyramid, switched teams, 7-in-30. Larger bonus card, i.e. the Mystery 7/Super 7/Big 7, just a larger prize.
Second bonus game: traditional Winner's Circle, worth $15,000. Layout as follows.

500        500
200    200    200

Third main game: traditional Pyramid, returning champion vs. first game champ, blind draw for celeb partners. Only one main game, no bonus card, winner goes on to the final Winner's Circle, played for $25,000.

I suggest the first bonus game just to break the monotony of three Winner's Circles. Throw something new into the mix, but it could just as easily be a Winner's Circle. A total of $50,000 could be won, but that doesn't mean it has to be called The $50,000 Pyramid. CBS's daytime shows only allow for about 36-39 mins. of show, so I think you could spread things out nicely with this format. No rushing, and you can give the teams a chance to breath in-between each round.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 09:10:03 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'239200\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 01:16 PM\']I'll say it nicely before anyone does meanly. If you need variables to help figure the format out, it's probably not going to work out well on television.[/quote]I would be really OK with
* stay on the show as long as you keep winning up to $limit or an appearance limit.
* or you lose N times, provided N > 1.
* each Winner's Circle try is for $title.

As long as you get the basic game play down pat, I don't need variables or Venn diagrams or for everyone to get to play with everyone. I just want Real Deal Pyramid back on TV.
Travis L. Eberle

GameShowGuru

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 12:17:32 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'239197\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 03:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'239196\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 12:43 PM\']Look at it this way: if you had 30 minutes of, say, a new $XXX,XXX Pyramid, followed by 30 minutes of a new Press Your Luck, either show could get bumped in favor of a repeat of WWTBaM from the previous season.[/quote]Does this actually happen? I must not be watching the right stuff, because I have never sat down to watch a game show and found out that it was being preempted for something syndicated. Soccer, a breaking news story, sure. But not a rerun of Everybody Loves Raymond.
[/quote]

Actually, from my personal experience, it has happened a number of times:

I remember High Rollers being pre-empted for a syndicated soap opera called The Doctors
I remember Classic Concentration (in the 1991-93 rerun phase) being pre-empted for various syndicated talk shows.
I remember Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour (which I didn't even know existed until I spent spring break with my aunt in Pittsburgh) being pre-empted for Tom and Jerry (but I find it funny that when Santa Barbara premiered, it didn't get pre-empted.  Go figure).
I want to say I remember Beat the Clock (1979) being pre-empted for The 700 Club, but I'm not 100% sure.

But the Columbus market has historically been not-so game show friendly, unless it's Wheel, Price, or Jeopardy!

NickS

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 06:22:46 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'239219\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 08:10 PM\']As long as you get the basic game play down pat, I don't need variables or Venn diagrams or for everyone to get to play with everyone. I just want Real Deal Pyramid back on TV.[/quote]

THIS.  I didn't want to fall in the trap of saying "we" when there's the possibility of not everyone wanting Real Deal Pyramid back on screen.

As for your earlier question - can it be preempted?  Probably, but it's as rare as a Dan Benfield joke being funny right now.

itiparanoid13

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 12:54:56 PM »
I've got it on good authority that Pyramid will be Los Angeles based.

Vahan_Nisanian

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 01:06:53 PM »
I don't have a problem with this version being based in Los Angeles, just as long as it doesn't morph into Donnymid 2.0.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 01:09:14 PM »
/dislike for selfish location-based reasons. Pyramid would've pushed me into a long-postponed NYC visit.
@lambertman

BrandonFG

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 01:39:12 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'239245\' date=\'Apr 11 2010, 01:09 PM\']/dislike for selfish location-based reasons. Pyramid would've pushed me into a long-postponed NYC visit.[/quote]
Same here...would've made for a fun little road trip. But, I've been itching to get back to L.A. as well.

/Was actually out there two years ago today
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

snowpeck

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 04:48:02 PM »
[quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'239224\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 11:17 PM\']I remember High Rollers being pre-empted for a syndicated soap opera called The Doctors[/quote]

The Doctors was an NBC show, as was High Rollers.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 06:46:16 PM »
As long as you get the basic game play down pat, I don't need variables or Venn diagrams or for everyone to get to play with everyone. I just want Real Deal Pyramid back on TV.
I definitely agree on this one. Last time we had Pyramid, it had about 37 different changes all designed to not give away money (Colors In The Olympic Rings?).

As for your earlier question - can it be preempted? Probably, but it's as rare as a Dan Benfield joke being funny right now.
I've been reduced to an inside joke? I'm no stranger to that...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:00:59 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

J.R.

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2010, 07:06:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'239258\' date=\'Apr 11 2010, 05:46 PM\']I've been reduced to an inside joke? I'm no stranger to that...[/quote]
I'll never let you down.
-Joe Raygor

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2010, 07:09:52 PM »
I'll never say goodbye.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:01:40 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...