Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another Pyramid Pilot  (Read 18309 times)

tpirfan28

Another Pyramid Pilot
« on: April 09, 2010, 08:42:46 PM »
Here we go again! (of course, for CBS daytime)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 08:43:05 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Casey Buck

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 08:53:11 PM »
Please be good like the last one was...

The article also says that CBS will probably order at least one more game show pilot.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:10:17 PM by Casey Buck »

BrandonFG

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 09:10:59 PM »
I wonder if they still have my application on file from last year...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gsfreak82

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 11:02:53 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'239149\' date=\'Apr 9 2010, 08:10 PM\']I wonder if they still have my application on file from last year...[/quote]

I wonder that too or if we have to fill out another one.

Otm Shank

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 02:44:47 PM »
I think they have a different casting director from last year, so I would watch Craigslist for a new casting notice.

(Besides, if you weren't chosen last year -- neither was I -- you'd like the chance to re-audition.)

NickS

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 03:00:03 PM »
I don't know if it's been thrown out before, but if CBS decided to go with an hour instead of two half-hour shows (and I'd rather have the latter happen, mind you) -- couldn't you either break Pyramid up into two half-hour shows (close but not quite like TPiR's Nielsen move of TPiR 1 and TPiR 2 as half-hours) or just do the normal Pyramid, do four rounds instead of two and go on with life?

Don't get me wrong - a half-hour Pyramid and half-hour Password would be great; I just don't see it happening if CBS wants to keep production costs down.

Sodboy13

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 03:22:37 PM »
Someone smarter than myself posted during the last Pyramid pilot go-round that, given today's commercial load, the most workable and logical setup would be a 3-game hour, with the winners of the first two games facing each other in a higher-stakes Winner's Circle.  I concur entirely.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Winkfan

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 03:43:55 PM »
I don't know if it's been thrown out before, but if CBS decided to go with an hour instead of two half-hour shows (and I'd rather have the latter happen, mind you) -- couldn't you either break Pyramid up into two half-hour shows (close but not quite like TPiR's Nielsen move of TPiR 1 and TPiR 2 as half-hours) or just do the normal Pyramid, do four rounds instead of two and go on with life?

Don't get me wrong - a half-hour Pyramid and half-hour Password would be great; I just don't see it happening if CBS wants to keep production costs down.

Nowadays, any of the "Big Three" networks having two 30-minute shows back to back on daytime makes it an easy target for their affilates to pre-empt one or the other in favor of syndicated fare.

Look at it this way: if you had 30 minutes of, say, a new $XXX,XXX Pyramid, followed by 30 minutes of a new Press Your Luck, either show could get bumped in favor of a repeat of WWTBaM from the previous season.

And if all this is WHOOOSH to the rest of you.....well, I tried.

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:55:57 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 03:49:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'239196\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 12:43 PM\']Look at it this way: if you had 30 minutes of, say, a new $XXX,XXX Pyramid, followed by 30 minutes of a new Press Your Luck, either show could get bumped in favor of a repeat of WWTBaM from the previous season.[/quote]Does this actually happen? I must not be watching the right stuff, because I have never sat down to watch a game show and found out that it was being preempted for something syndicated. Soccer, a breaking news story, sure. But not a rerun of Everybody Loves Raymond.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 04:01:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'239194\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 03:22 PM\']Someone smarter than myself posted during the last Pyramid pilot go-round that, given today's commercial load, the most workable and logical setup would be a 3-game hour, with the winners of the first two games facing each other in a higher-stakes Winner's Circle.[/quote]Ideally, that would be nice, but then we go back to the problem from the early days that it can be a sour experience for the week if there's one celebrity who hasn't had his coffee yet. ("Sorry Joe, but Aisha Tyler has defeated William Shatner for the twelfth time in a row this week! Jane, let's go to the Winner's Circle to try for...")

rjaguar3

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 04:12:24 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'239198\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 03:01 PM\'][quote name=\'Sodboy13\' post=\'239194\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 03:22 PM\']Someone smarter than myself posted during the last Pyramid pilot go-round that, given today's commercial load, the most workable and logical setup would be a 3-game hour, with the winners of the first two games facing each other in a higher-stakes Winner's Circle.[/quote]Ideally, that would be nice, but then we go back to the problem from the early days that it can be a sour experience for the week if there's one celebrity who hasn't had his coffee yet. ("Sorry Joe, but Aisha Tyler has defeated William Shatner for the twelfth time in a row this week! Jane, let's go to the Winner's Circle to try for...")
[/quote]

My proposal would be:
Designate celebrities X and Y
Champion is A; challengers are B and C (designation of B and C by coin toss):

Game 1:  X and B play against Y and C--play winner's circle
Game P:  X and A play against Y and B--play winner's circle
Game Q:  X and C play against Y and A--play winner's circle

If C beats B in game 1, then play the games in the order 1, P, Q.  If B beats C in game 1, then play the games in the order 1, Q, P.

Whoever wins both games plays the second winner's circle for the larger prize.  If all three contestants win 1 game, then they all play the winner's circle for the low amount, and the highest winner's circle total determines who becomes the returning champion.

chad1m

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »
I'll say it nicely before anyone does meanly. If you need variables to help figure the format out, it's probably not going to work out well on television.

BrandonFG

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 04:50:22 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'239197\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 03:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'239196\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 12:43 PM\']Look at it this way: if you had 30 minutes of, say, a new $XXX,XXX Pyramid, followed by 30 minutes of a new Press Your Luck, either show could get bumped in favor of a repeat of WWTBaM from the previous season.[/quote]Does this actually happen? I must not be watching the right stuff, because I have never sat down to watch a game show and found out that it was being preempted for something syndicated. Soccer, a breaking news story, sure. But not a rerun of Everybody Loves Raymond.
[/quote]
I think that was more common back in the 70s and 80s. Considering the network daytime landscape has changed considerably, I don't see that happening as often.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

davidhammett

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 04:57:23 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'239204\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 04:50 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'239197\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 03:49 PM\'][quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'239196\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 12:43 PM\']Look at it this way: if you had 30 minutes of, say, a new $XXX,XXX Pyramid, followed by 30 minutes of a new Press Your Luck, either show could get bumped in favor of a repeat of WWTBaM from the previous season.[/quote]Does this actually happen? I must not be watching the right stuff, because I have never sat down to watch a game show and found out that it was being preempted for something syndicated. Soccer, a breaking news story, sure. But not a rerun of Everybody Loves Raymond.
[/quote]
I think that was more common back in the 70s and 80s. Considering the network daytime landscape has changed considerably, I don't see that happening as often.
[/quote]
Agreed, although in the current daytime landscape you don't have many half-hour shows on the networks to begin with -- The Bold and the Beautiful is the only one out there now.  The last one I can remember is Port Charles (1997-2003), and I'm pretty sure there were a number of stations who opted not to show it in favor of news or syndicated fare.

rjaguar3

Another Pyramid Pilot
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 05:54:11 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'239200\' date=\'Apr 10 2010, 03:16 PM\']I'll say it nicely before anyone does meanly. If you need variables to help figure the format out, it's probably not going to work out well on television.[/quote]

It's just the precise way of saying "Congratulations, Sara, you won the first game, so you and Julie will go to the winner's circle to try for $10,000, and then you'll be back in the third game for a chance at $25,000.  John, you lost the first game with Phil Keoghan, so you'll be with Julie Chen for our second game, and our champion Bill will be with Phil for the second game.  John, you need to win this game to have a chance of being the champion."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:54:57 PM by rjaguar3 »