Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Barker Birthday Salute  (Read 9631 times)

inturnaround

GSN Barker Birthday Salute
« on: November 13, 2003, 01:08:44 PM »
According to tvgameshows.net, GSN will be airing a week long birthday tribute to Bob Barker from December 8-12.

On Dec. 8, 10 and 12, GSN will show episodes of Match Game featuring Bob Barker. On the 9th, GSN will air episodes of Tattletales and IGAS while the 11th is dedicated to Barker and his late wife playing Tattletales.

It's a neat thing that, although they don't have the rights to air TPiR (yet), that they found a way to pay tribute to a living legend.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

aaron sica

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2003, 01:25:19 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one whose heart stopped when I saw this and thought "Has GSN actually done it? Have they gotten TPiR back???"

Nice to see this taking place though, even w/o TPiR. I like Tattletales and it will be nice to see it again.

I'd like to see GSN get TPiR back but I can see them only getting a handful of episodes and repeating them ad nauseum.

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2003, 07:20:51 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Nov 13 2003, 01:08 PM\']

On Dec. 8, 10 and 12, GSN will show episodes of Match Game featuring Bob Barker. On the 9th, GSN will air episodes of Tattletales and IGAS while the 11th is dedicated to Barker and his late wife playing Tattletales.

[/quote]
 They could also have aired Combs Feud with the TPiR cast playing for charity if they wanted(perhaps they will in the Combs Feud time slot that week). THIS would also be a time for them to pull out 70s BtB so many people seem to want to see, as Barker did an episode of the syndie version of that show.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2003, 07:35:01 PM »
I get the impression that GSN is doing this as a bargaining chip of sorts to get TPIR....I guess they figure if they kiss up to Barker, he'll help them get TPIR.

Who knows....

HSquares2003

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2003, 08:03:24 PM »
Have I read correctly the last time GSN ever aired TPIR(in any way,shape, or form) was 2000? Geez, you think Frechuckle and GSN would have compromised by now....

zachhoran

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2003, 08:13:59 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Nov 13 2003, 08:03 PM\'] Have I read correctly the last time GSN ever aired TPIR(in any way,shape, or form) was 2000? Geez, you think Frechuckle and GSN would have compromised by now.... [/quote]
 They haven't gotten it as yet. It seems to be the only classic show GSN wants to get. And if they do, who wants to bet we'll see a more recent season than a Johnny Olson-era season?

Don Howard

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 12:03:48 AM »
Exactly how did the network lose the rights to air The Price Is Right?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 12:20:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Nov 14 2003, 12:03 AM\'] Exactly how did the network lose the rights to air The Price Is Right? [/quote]
 The contract expired in April of 2000; and the management did not renew.

Oops...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 03:54:08 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 13 2003, 08:13 PM\'][quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Nov 13 2003, 08:03 PM\'] Have I read correctly the last time GSN ever aired TPIR(in any way,shape, or form) was 2000? Geez, you think Frechuckle and GSN would have compromised by now.... [/quote]
They haven't gotten it as yet. It seems to be the only classic show GSN wants to get. And if they do, who wants to bet we'll see a more recent season than a Johnny Olson-era season?[/quote]
I still suspect that Barker just doesn't want to see Dian Parkinson or Holly Hallstrom (or Marc Breslow, for that matter) collecting even meager cable residuals--and that his bosses at Fremantle don't want to send residual checks to Janice Pennington or Kathleen Bradley-Overton (they can't do anything about Paul Alter, since he gets regular GSN residual checks as it is).  Just conjecture, but that's my guess--and remember that when the contract first ran out, GSN seemed to be in a strict "no acquisitions" mode.  If they'd bothered to renew the contract, they probably would've renewed it as was.  Coming back a couple of years later allows Fremantle or Barker (or GSN, for that matter) to bring up more points of contention.

JayC

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2003, 04:02:36 PM »
is GSN allowed to air Truth or Consequences?  Barker hosted that afterall.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 04:19:47 PM »
GSN has no Ralph Edwards produced shows. It's a shame---it's rumored that he has most if not all of the runs of Name That Tune and Cross-Wits.

zachhoran

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2003, 07:14:36 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 14 2003, 03:54 PM\']
I still suspect that Barker just doesn't want to see Dian Parkinson or Holly Hallstrom (or Marc Breslow, for that matter) collecting even meager cable residuals--and that his bosses at Fremantle don't want to send residual checks to Janice Pennington or Kathleen Bradley-Overton (they can't do anything about Paul Alter, since he gets regular GSN residual checks as it is). [/quote]
 Barker already saw Dian and Holly get those small residuals several years after their TPIR tenures ended. If Paul Alter gets residual checks, wouldn't Breslow as well(as he directed MG7x, and ALter directed Feud).

inturnaround

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2003, 01:42:14 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 14 2003, 07:14 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 14 2003, 03:54 PM\']
I still suspect that Barker just doesn't want to see Dian Parkinson or Holly Hallstrom (or Marc Breslow, for that matter) collecting even meager cable residuals--and that his bosses at Fremantle don't want to send residual checks to Janice Pennington or Kathleen Bradley-Overton (they can't do anything about Paul Alter, since he gets regular GSN residual checks as it is). [/quote]
Barker already saw Dian and Holly get those small residuals several years after their TPIR tenures ended. [/quote]
 True, but wouldn't the 2000 expiration of the GSN/Fremantle TPiR contract have been the first time to do anything about it (after the harassment case and the firing of the models?) When did the TPiR contract begin exactly?
Joe Coughlin     
Human

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2003, 04:12:37 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Nov 15 2003, 01:42 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 14 2003, 07:14 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Nov 14 2003, 03:54 PM\']
Barker already saw Dian and Holly get those small residuals several years after their TPIR tenures ended. [/quote]
True, but wouldn't the 2000 expiration of the GSN/Fremantle TPiR contract have been the first time to do anything about it (after the harassment case and the firing of the models?) When did the TPiR contract begin exactly? [/quote]
 Don't quote me, but wasn't it either 96 or 97?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

zachhoran

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2003, 07:33:03 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Nov 15 2003, 01:42 AM\']
True, but wouldn't the 2000 expiration of the GSN/Fremantle TPiR contract have been the first time to do anything about it (after the harassment case and the firing of the models?) When did the TPiR contract begin exactly? [/quote]
 December 1996-April 3 2000 was their time of contract to air TPIR.

If GSN ever did get TPIR back, they could well pick up six or seven episodes from each of the 31 previous seasons to get a package of 200 episodes. The early 70s half hour shows would get a weekend slot and be run ad nauseum.