Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pricing Game Redesigns  (Read 12622 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 11:46:24 PM »
According to a post by Kathy Greco over at priceisright.com, Any Number's redesign premieres next Monday, April 26th.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Jeremy Nelson

Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »
Any Number's "redesign" premiered today, and it basically looks the same as far as shape and color- it's just not as gold. They, of course, changed the number displays to LCDs, but they kept the same LCD/vane display font. The biggest addition was an added "used number stripe" in the space between the logo (which was taken from the old prop and put on the new one) and the "CAR" stripe. I think they built a new board for the redesign, but it looks like a smaller version of the previous one.

For a game that hasn't been remodeled since 1986, I predicted they'd try a whole new look for the game rather than just modifying the current one, but it could be worse, I guess. But the used number board was unnecessary in my opinion. You wanna call a 3? Just look at the board, and if there's not a 3 anywhere but the first number of the car, then call it...it's not that hard to keep track of 10 different numbers, IMO.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:48:42 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Sodboy13

Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 04:00:19 PM »
I think the used number board might just serve as a visual reminder that "Yes, there is still another 2 there" more than anything.  Outside of that, the piece now just looks silver and '80s instead of gold and '80s.  And I hope someone realizes in short order that it's much less cluttered to just make the digit disappear off the used number strip than to draw a red slash through it.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 04:16:46 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'240013\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 03:28 PM\']it's not that hard to keep track of 10 different numbers, IMO.[/quote]

I agree. It literally wasn't an issue for decades. Once Drew was making a point of recapping what was left, and I heard they were redoing the game, I knew some sort of used number area would enter into it.

If given the chance, I'd move the used number display below the main playing area. I doubt they'd redo the entire thing again, though, so I'd merely suggest my other changes - make the backdrop of the used numbers match the gameboard, shrink the font a bit, and have them disappear instead of that crossing off effect. As it stood today, it was a busy setup to look at.

I like that they kept the same "font" on the board though. For years (on various shows) it seemed nobody figured out a monitor didn't have to look like a monitor. They went the extra mile with contestant's row, right down to a fabric cover. I hope, as warranted, they can maintain that "new but old" feeling.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Bob Zager

Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 04:27:10 PM »
I started to wonder if a used number display was considered for the original Any Number game board, which, IIRC, is now in Bob Boden's home.  

For at least a year and a half, there was a blank space at the top of the board, before adding the name "Any Number," to it.  

I think I like this new addition, especially to remind you about the one repeating number being in play.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 04:28:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'240019\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 03:27 PM\']I think I like this new addition, especially to remind you about the one repeating number being in play.[/quote]Why is it necessary?  Drew states this information before the game begins.  If you can't remember that, its your fault.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 04:36:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'240020\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 04:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'240019\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 03:27 PM\']I think I like this new addition, especially to remind you about the one repeating number being in play.[/quote]Why is it necessary?  Drew states this information before the game begins.  If you can't remember that, its your fault.
[/quote]
Well, when you're on stage under the bright lights, in front of 300 screaming people, it might be easy to lose track of what's in play. Wheel has a Used Letter Board, and I don't see anyone complaining about that.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 04:50:59 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'240022\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 03:36 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'240020\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 04:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'240019\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 03:27 PM\']I think I like this new addition, especially to remind you about the one repeating number being in play.[/quote]Why is it necessary?  Drew states this information before the game begins.  If you can't remember that, its your fault.
[/quote]
Well, when you're on stage under the bright lights, in front of 300 screaming people, it might be easy to lose track of what's in play. Wheel has a Used Letter Board, and I don't see anyone complaining about that.
[/quote]The difference, IMO, is on Wheel, there's no record if a "bad" letter is picked, hence, the need for a used letter board.  In Any Number, a "bad" pick is right in front of your eyes.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 05:08:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'240023\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 01:50 PM\']The difference, IMO, is on Wheel, there's no record if a "bad" letter is picked, hence, the need for a used letter board.  In Any Number, a "bad" pick is right in front of your eyes.[/quote]
The other difference is that if you pick a repeated letter on WoF, your turn is over. If you pick one on Any Number, you just waste time.

So you have three options:

a) Waste time telling them the number they want has already been used.
b) Wait while these rocket surgeons stand there and pour over the board to figure out what's left.
c) Stick a row of numbers in front of their face.

If I'm the one paying for studio time, I know which one I pick.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 06:04:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Bob Zager\' post=\'240019\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 02:27 PM\']I started to wonder if a used number display was considered for the original Any Number game board, which, IIRC, is now in Bob Boden's home.  

For at least a year and a half, there was a blank space at the top of the board, before adding the name "Any Number," to it.[/quote]

AFAIK, the blank space on the original Any Number board was just that.  Keep in mind that at the start of the Barker run, NONE of the games had any game name attached to them (Clock Game, Bonus Game, Range Game, etc...)

I don't know which game was the first to have it's namesake on it's respective apparatus or when it started to become standard practice, but based on watching some of the earlier episodes in the DVD box set, it wasn't until after the show knew for sure it was gonna be around for a while on CBS before they started adding game names to the board.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 06:11:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'240020\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 01:28 PM\']Why is it necessary?[/quote]It isn't. It is, however, courtesy to your players. Without which, you don't really have a show.

Drew states this information before the game begins.  If you can't remember that, its your fault.
And until there's a rule that says "If you take more than ten seconds to pick a number, a zero goes into the piggy bank," I'm OK with a visual reminder for the contestants.
Travis L. Eberle

Steve Gavazzi

Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 07:54:31 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'240029\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 06:04 PM\']I don't know which game was the first to have it's namesake on it's respective apparatus[/quote]
Hi Lo.

[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'240029\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 06:04 PM\']or when it started to become standard practice[/quote]
Also Hi Lo.

Bob Zager

Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 08:11:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'240033\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 07:54 PM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'240029\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 06:04 PM\']I don't know which game was the first to have it's namesake on it's respective apparatus[/quote]
Hi Lo.

[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'240029\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 06:04 PM\']or when it started to become standard practice[/quote]
Also Hi Lo.
[/quote]

The earliest game to officially have a name on its prop, AFAIK, was Double Digits, which was quickly retired.

I think Any Number was among the first, if not the very first, to have the name placed on the prop, that originally didn't have it.

J.R.

Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 08:15:24 PM »
Would it to be too much to ask if there was a picture available of the new look?
-Joe Raygor

Bob Zager

Pricing Game Redesigns
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 08:21:19 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'240035\' date=\'Apr 26 2010, 08:15 PM\']Would it to be too much to ask if there was a picture available of the new look?[/quote]

Go to http://www.priceisright.com/ and you can see a video of it being rolled into the studio.