Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When you're not looking  (Read 12369 times)

Mr. Bill

When you're not looking
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2010, 05:18:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Lirodon\' post=\'238148\' date=\'Mar 24 2010, 07:40 AM\'][quote name=\'ActualRetailMike\' post=\'238122\' date=\'Mar 23 2010, 08:32 PM\']TPiR: putting the labels in the showcase podia indicating which contestant bid on which showcase.  Also, inserting the little price tag in the pocket on the side.  (On the nighttime Dennis James version, this was done while the second showcase was being shown, since there was no commercial between that and price revelations.)[/quote]

Well, they added an animation on those labels for passes with the new computerized podiums recently.
[/quote]
Yup, saw that once on camera recently.  The contestant chose to pass the first showcase while the showcase graphic was already displayed on his podium.  We were then treated to the rare glimpse of watching the graphic slide from one podium to the other.

opimus

When you're not looking
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2010, 05:47:37 PM »
You never saw them change the slides for beat the devil on TJW.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 05:49:31 PM by opimus »

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
When you're not looking
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2010, 06:00:56 PM »
The photograph was taken during the year 1979, as I seem to remember that the set's carpet looked a little brighter at that time.  Also, there was an extension (i.e. new addition) of the carpet covering a bit more of the stage floor in a straight line between the bottom edge of the giant pyramid and the triangular arc's end.
Which reminds me...why do two of the Winner's Circle boxes have a slit down the middle? And what's with the line right underneath said boxes? I know the Winner's Circle boxes changed color schemes several times throughout the 1973-81 era, but I've never been able to pin them down.

/see Wikipedia's page on Pyramid's broadcast history for info on the set changes.
//yes, that was me that added the details on the 1991 changes.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 06:11:05 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
When you're not looking
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 06:35:49 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'238213\' date=\'Mar 25 2010, 10:08 AM\']Here's a slightly obscure one:

Dawson Feud, when the Fast Money microphone is put in place.[/quote]
Already mentioned.

You never saw them change the slides for beat the devil on TJW.
I think there's a reason for that ;-)

William A. Padron

When you're not looking
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2010, 10:56:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Bill\' post=\'238231\' date=\'Mar 25 2010, 05:12 PM\'][quote name=\'SFQuizKid\' post=\'238140\' date=\'Mar 24 2010, 01:09 AM\'][quote name=\'ActualRetailMike\' post=\'238122\' date=\'Mar 23 2010, 05:32 PM\']One that doesn't count is the individual score displays on the 10k pyramid (and others?). Did anyone else ever notice how, while the contestants walked toward the winner's circle, the numeric displays sequentially cycled back, i.e., they went 33, 44, 55.... 99 then blank?  I used to be puzzled why the display could go that high since the contestants could never score that much, even if they got every clue right.[/quote]
Too bad you say that one doesn't count!  Signaltron displays had a fixed number of leaves and so each digit had to go 1-2-3-...-9-0-blank.  And on the original Pyramid tiebreakers just added to the existing round score.  One game score with several tiebreakers went into the 30s or 40s.
[/quote]
Anson Williams vs. Adrienne Barbeau, July 4, 1976.  Four tiebreakers, final score 44-43, but I forgot who won.  They played three tie-breakers before the commercial break, then coming back Dick mentioned that if nobody won on the fourth tie-breaker the scores would be zeroed and they would just go immediately to the second game.  The two teams matched 7s through the first three IIRC.  So with 7 total rounds at a possible 7 points each, that would have been a max of 49, so they were well matched.

This game, btw, I think, was the major reason for changing to the later format based on elapsed time to complete 7.
[/quote]

Actually, the most-scored points in a tie-breaker game I can recall was on the episode that aired on Friday, July 4, 1975, and the final score was 45-44 with Lucie Arnaz winning versus Anson Williams.  Anson had the chance to win the game, but he fell behind instead and his team lost by that one point when the time's-up buzzer sounded.  At that point, quick rush to the Winner's Circle and cut to another commercial break.

That game went into five tie-breakers, and Dick Clark did also announce on that episode after the commercial break (and the four tie-breaker played) if the game was not won after the next round played, a new game (the second main one) would be played instead afterward.  A $100 cash prize would had been awarded to each of the two civilian contestants.
[Take The "A" Train]

William A. Padron

When you're not looking
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2010, 11:22:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'238242\' date=\'Mar 25 2010, 06:00 PM\'][quote name=\'William A. Padron\' post=\'238160\' date=\'Mar 24 2010, 02:47 PM\']The photograph was taken during the year 1979, as I seem to remember that the set's carpet looked a little brighter at that time. Also, there was an extension (i.e. new addition) of the carpet covering a bit more of the stage floor in a straight line between the bottom edge of the giant pyramid and the triangular arc's end.[/quote]
Which reminds me -- why do two of the Winner's Circle boxes have a slit down the middle? And what's with the line right underneath said boxes? I know the Winner's Circle boxes changed color schemes several times throughout the 1973-81 era, but I've never been able to pin them down.

/See Wikipedia's page on Pyramid's broadcast history for info on the set changes.
//Yes, that was me that added the details on the 1991 changes.
[/quote]

That "slit" is probably, on each of those two boxes seen in the picture on the giant pyramid, a combination of its triangular logos looking like it may have a slight crease or bulge that could look like a stain to the camera eye.  The line that is a few inches away from the trilion boxes, as seen on that board built by ABC-TV, divides the inner center portion of the giant pyramid into two separate parts, with the bottom one being only hollow and nothing else.

The color schemes on the Winner's Circle boxes should be as follows: March 1973-February 1976, shiny gold pyramid logo with no border on orange background; March 1976-January 1978, gold pyramid logo with white border on blue background; and January 1978-May 1981: "glitzy" gold pyramid logo with red border on blue background.  The giant pyramid board received its reddish tint paint job on episodes first airing in January 1978, and the color backdrop behind the giant pyramid went from orange to blue around February 1978.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:23:06 AM by William A. Padron »
[Take The "A" Train]

Otm Shank

When you're not looking
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'238174\' date=\'Mar 24 2010, 05:04 PM\']As I recall, on most Goodson shows that had chasing lights, the lights would continue to run until they were off camera, and when they were back on camera, the lights would have stopped.[/quote]

I remember hearing producer Roger Dobkowitz, in an interview with Stu Shokus, say that changing a light pattern on-camera was a production sin (wins were an exception). This was a standing production rule for The Price Is Right, but presumably for all of the Goodson realm.

As for the off-camera set changes: I am always reminded of that still image from the second ep of Price Is Right in 1972 where the stagehand was installing the showcase podium in the background. Fortunately, it is still preserved on the Wayback Machine. Oops! Thank goodness he wasn't in the plumber's union.

Mr. Bill

When you're not looking
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2010, 09:57:35 PM »
[quote name=\'William A. Padron\' post=\'238284\' date=\'Mar 26 2010, 10:56 AM\']Actually, the most-scored points in a tie-breaker game I can recall was on the episode that aired on Friday, July 4, 1975, and the final score was 45-44 with Lucie Arnaz winning versus Anson Williams.  Anson had the chance to win the game, but he fell behind instead and his team lost by that one point when the time's-up buzzer sounded.  At that point, quick rush to the Winner's Circle and cut to another commercial break.

That game went into five tie-breakers, and Dick Clark did also announce on that episode after the commercial break (and the four tie-breaker played) if the game was not won after the next round played, a new game (the second main one) would be played instead afterward.  A $100 cash prize would had been awarded to each of the two civilian contestants.[/quote]
After reviewing a few things, I stand corrected.  You have it correctly.  Guess all I really remembered was July 4 and Anson Williams.  I knew it was the day The Big Showdown last aired -- and that was 1975.  The rest of it was hazy at best in my memory.  As for the score, I couldn't remember if it was 45-44 or 44-43.

As for my previous post, it's obviously erroneous.

Thanks for the correction.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:58:47 PM by Mr. Bill »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
When you're not looking
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2010, 11:08:30 PM »
The color schemes on the Winner's Circle boxes should be as follows: March 1973-February 1976, shiny gold pyramid logo with no border on orange background; March 1976-January 1978, gold pyramid logo with white border on blue background; and January 1978-May 1981: "glitzy" gold pyramid logo with red border on blue background. The giant pyramid board received its reddish tint paint job on episodes first airing in January 1978, and the color backdrop behind the giant pyramid went from orange to blue around February 1978.
You have just made me relive my college years.

ChuckNet

When you're not looking
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but on $ale, with the exception of one blooper in particular , we never got to see the set change where the Instant Bargain was revealed. I believe it was on a turntable where the Fame Game board was.

You are correct...in fact, it wasn't until catching it in reruns on USA in the mid-90s that I realized the Fame Game area was on a turntable that the IBs were also presented from (you can tell by those occasional camera shots from behind the contestant's podium, usually when Jim counts out bonus money).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
When you're not looking
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2010, 12:38:48 AM »
Ooh, here's one:

On PYL, the slides would change from $$/whammies/prizes to solid colors for the question rounds during commercial breaks.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

pyrfan

When you're not looking
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2010, 02:10:36 AM »
I can't believe it took me this long to think of...

The "Go!" bonus-round set being moved into place after one team scored 1,500 points -- and, of course, being removed from the stage before Kevin could do his wrap-up.

Also, we may have seen the celebrities' set piece change from "Match Game" to "Hollywood Squares" in "MG/HS Hour," but we never saw the contestants'/host's set piece change. All we saw was the MG seats disappear. Nor did we see the Super Match set appear.

Brendan

visualbasicwizard

When you're not looking
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2010, 11:27:13 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'238331\' date=\'Mar 27 2010, 12:38 AM\']Ooh, here's one:

On PYL, the slides would change from $$/whammies/prizes to solid colors for the question rounds during commercial breaks.[/quote]

I saw a clip on YouTube once that showed that happening.  It was kind of strange, because the slides did not change all at once, and for a second, they were completely black.