Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks Returning in April!  (Read 13176 times)

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Card Sharks Returning in April!
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 10:39:17 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'237919\' date=\'Mar 19 2010, 10:29 PM\']And count me among those who'd like a Eubanks episode guide.  You wouldn't happen to know the OAD of the episode where the ostrich wreaks havoc (pretty sure it's late 1987, as Bob Goen appears to plug BLACKOUT)?[/quote]

I never got that far back in 2001-2002.  Never heard about that episode... maybe we'll find out someday.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 10:48:49 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'237922\' date=\'Mar 19 2010, 09:39 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'237919\' date=\'Mar 19 2010, 10:29 PM\']And count me among those who'd like a Eubanks episode guide.  You wouldn't happen to know the OAD of the episode where the ostrich wreaks havoc (pretty sure it's late 1987, as Bob Goen appears to plug BLACKOUT)?[/quote]

I never got that far back in 2001-2002.  Never heard about that episode... maybe we'll find out someday.
[/quote]
Somehow I doubt GSN gets that far this cycle.

What I do know--it was a Kid's Week show, set's decorated for Xmas (although it could have been the week after as well) and Goen makes the cameo.

Here's a YouTube link (skip to about 1:07--don't know how to plug that into the link):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajb87uDShbU
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 12:24:44 AM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'237918\' date=\'Mar 19 2010, 10:24 PM\']According to JasonA1's guide[/quote]

That's Jason Wuthrich's work, not mine. His posting handle was Game Show Warehouse.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 01:15:56 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'237929\' date=\'Mar 20 2010, 12:24 AM\'][quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'237918\' date=\'Mar 19 2010, 10:24 PM\']According to JasonA1's guide[/quote]

That's Jason Wuthrich's work, not mine. His posting handle was Game Show Warehouse.

-Jason
[/quote]

D'oh! Sorry.  Corrected in original post.

catnap1972

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 08:59:56 AM »
I'm assuming both versions of Pyramid just continue the current re-rerun cycle, correct? (ie no "new to you" episodes)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 10:34:50 AM »
Is a mid-week schedule change slightly atypical within the business? Sure. Is it unheard of? Certainly not. Heck, Hallmark Channel changes their schedule now on a near-weekly and sometimes daily basis, often with little notice.

There was another time (in the late '90s) where they made changes part way through a week, so it's not even the first time GSN has done this.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

cacLA8383

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 11:17:31 AM »
This is a nice change of scenery with the folks at GSN, maybe someone finally Got. It.?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 11:44:48 AM »
[quote name=\'cacLA8383\' post=\'237935\' date=\'Mar 20 2010, 11:17 AM\']This is a nice change of scenery with the folks at GSN, maybe someone finally Got. It.?[/quote]
Every network tinkers with its schedule all the time, especially the little-watched daytime hours.  They are dropping two bona fide Greatest Shows Ever (Password and Jeopardy) and replacing them with one moderate Fan Favorite (Card Sharks).  If you're a fan of the latter and you've missed it, then hey, good for you.  Enjoy.  Still, I have a hard time thinking that this relatively minor change heralds some new Age of Enlightenment.  It's a minor business decision, nothing to get worked up about.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 12:32:14 PM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' post=\'237933\' date=\'Mar 20 2010, 07:59 AM\']I'm assuming both versions of Pyramid just continue the current re-rerun cycle, correct? (ie no "new to you" episodes)[/quote]
Yes.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BillCullen1

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 12:41:41 PM »
So GSN acquires another million dollar game show hosted by Regis. I'm looking forward to the two shows with Betty White and the show I saw in person, with Rosie O"Donnell and Tony Hawk.

Down the line, I see GSN getting the FOX network version of 5th Grader and the syndie DoND since that's gone in September. Maybe even Drew Carey's Power of 10 and ABC's short-lived Duel. The latter two would have to air weekly since there aren't that many episodes of them.

Card Sharks will give the daytime schedule a little more variety.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 12:43:30 PM by BillCullen1 »

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'237908\' date=\'Mar 19 2010, 07:41 PM\']Hasn't it been proven time and time again that Sony won't allow GSN to show 1980's episodes of the show anymore due to "outdated information", because average casual viewers find those episodes to be "too hard" to play along with?[/quote]
I know I've heard this before, more than once, but why would Sony be the party concerned with whether the information contained within the '80s shows is outdated or not?

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 10:04:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'238007\' date=\'Mar 22 2010, 08:18 AM\']I know I've heard this before, more than once, but why would Sony be the party concerned with whether the information contained within the '80s shows is outdated or not?[/quote]

They wouldn't be concerned one iota. What you've quoted is a warped justification that emerged among some folks for why GSN never leases any 80s stuff from Sony.  It's easier for some people to rationalize the idea that "GSN doesn't lease the shows in question because Sony won't let them" rather than acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, GSN simply doesn't *want* to lease 25-year-old reruns of Jeopardy when they can get something a little newer.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 12:20:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'238010\' date=\'Mar 22 2010, 10:04 AM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'238007\' date=\'Mar 22 2010, 08:18 AM\']I know I've heard this before, more than once, but why would Sony be the party concerned with whether the information contained within the '80s shows is outdated or not?[/quote]

They wouldn't be concerned one iota. What you've quoted is a warped justification that emerged among some folks for why GSN never leases any 80s stuff from Sony.  It's easier for some people to rationalize the idea that "GSN doesn't lease the shows in question because Sony won't let them" rather than acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, GSN simply doesn't *want* to lease 25-year-old reruns of Jeopardy when they can get something a little newer.
[/quote]
Exactly, and thanks to both of you for pointing this out.  The original comment runs dangerously close to posting false information on our board.  Nothing of the sort has ever been "proven" because it's nonsense.  Honestly, I don't even hear the rumor that much, though I'm rarely on the GSN boards anymore.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 12:52:52 PM »
And while we're at it, let's get used to the notion that Sony != GSN.  Sony owns a portion of it, Liberty Media owns the rest.  It is its own entity.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2010, 05:50:58 PM »
Down the line, I see GSN getting the FOX network version of 5th Grader and the syndie DoND since that's gone in September. Maybe even Drew Carey's Power of 10 and ABC's short-lived Duel. The latter two would have to air weekly since there aren't that many episodes of them.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing Duel.  I liked the show and thought it should have lasted a bit longer.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!