Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I'd like to buy a vowel.....  (Read 4686 times)

14gameshows

I'd like to buy a vowel.....
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:23:34 AM »
Should Wheel of Fortune increase the value of "buying a vowel" to like $1000?

The reason I ask this is because $250 is nothing compared to what it was back in the day and back when they were doing the "shopping element" of the show.

What do you think?

joker316

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 10:26:47 AM »
Maybe they should charge per vowel!!!

/tongue planted firmly in cheek!!
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:15:31 AM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' post=\'237492\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 09:23 AM\']Should Wheel of Fortune increase the value of "buying a vowel" to like $1000?

The reason I ask this is because $250 is nothing compared to what it was back in the day and back when they were doing the "shopping element" of the show.

What do you think?[/quote]
No.

It's useless that they charge for vowels in the first place.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' post=\'237492\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 09:23 AM\']Should Wheel of Fortune increase the value of "buying a vowel" to like $1000?

If I were running that show, here's how I'd do it:

1. The first vowel is offered free of charge.

2. Subsequent vowels are charged at the current vowel rate, which is the lowest amount on the current wheel configuration, multiplied by the number of the vowel (i.e. the third vowel called for is multiplied by three).

3. Any player who actually lands on that lowest amount space while spinning the wheel is entitled to purchase vowels not at the lowest amount multiplied by the vowel number, but the lowest amount divided by the vowel number.  (So, if the lowest amount on the wheel is $500, the third vowel will cost only $167, rounding up to eliminate cents, of course.)

4. Each round features a secret "Super Vowel"; the first player to call the "Super Vowel" in any given round has a chance to go to the "Super Vowel" board and select one of seven numbered consonants.  If the numbered consonant contains a vowel, that player wins one free vowel of his or her choosing; if not, the other two players each have the chance to purchase as many vowels as they like for the lowest amount on the wheel multiplied by the number of the numbered consonant chosen by the player who called the "Super Vowel".

5. There's a new space on each wheel: the "B_nkr_pt" space; if any player lands on the "B_nkr_pt" space, Vanna goes through the puzzle and turns off all of the vowels already displayed.  The player landing on the "B_nkr_pt" space earns back any money he or she spent on vowels, minus a 14% commission for the house.  (If no vowels have been called yet, Vanna starts turning off consonants.  However, the used letter board will not reflect this.)

6. At the end of each puzzle, the winning player is charged for any remaining vowels at a special solved puzzle vowel rate; in order to determine the special solved puzzle vowel rate, each of the three players spins the wheel, as do Pat and Vanna.  (In special weeks in which we have pairs of contestants, only one player from each team will spin; having everyone spin would take too long.)  The five spins are put up on the Big Board; all of the even numbers are then removed from the Big Board, and the remaining odd numbers are added together.  If the total is a multiple of the number of odd numbers remaining on the Big Board, then the winning player is charged a special solved puzzle vowel rate equal to the total of the odd numbers per vowel.  If the total is not a multiple, then everyone re-spins the wheel.  This process is repeated a maximum of three times, after which the special solved puzzle vowel rate will be the total of all three totals of odd numbers in the three attempts.

7. Each round features a "Special Solved Puzzle Vowel Rate Super Dice Disc" on one of the spaces on the wheel; should a player land on that space, and purchase the "Super Vowel" on that turn, that player picks up the "Special Solved Puzzle Vowel Rate Super Dice Disc", and if the player can solve the puzzle without calling any more vowels (or landing on Bankrupt or B_nkr_pt, of course), that player's special solved puzzle vowel rate will be determined by a trip to the Special Solved Puzzle Vowel Rate Super Dice Board, where we have a pair of dice; whatever number the player rolls is multiplied by the number of vowels called in that round to determine the special solved puzzle vowel rate.

8. Any vowels left uncalled are sent forward into the next puzzle.
Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

dale_grass

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »
[quote name=\'bscripps\' post=\'237497\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 12:52 PM\'][quote name=\'14gameshows\' post=\'237492\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 09:23 AM\']Should Wheel of Fortune increase the value of "buying a vowel" to like $1000?

1. The first vowel is offered free of charge.

2. Subsequent vowels are charged at the current vowel rate, which is the lowest amount on the current wheel configuration, multiplied by the number of the vowel (i.e. the third vowel called for is multiplied by three).

3. Any player who actually lands on that lowest amount space while spinning the wheel is entitled to purchase vowels not at the lowest amount multiplied by the vowel number, but the lowest amount divided by the vowel number.  (So, if the lowest amount on the wheel is $500, the third vowel will cost only $167, rounding up to eliminate cents, of course.)

[/quote]
It took me until #3 to realize.  When I skimmed ahead and caught #8, I was sure.

Darion Blackwood Daniel

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
[quote name=\'bscripps\' post=\'237497\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 11:52 AM\'][quote name=\'14gameshows\' post=\'237492\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 09:23 AM\']Should Wheel of Fortune increase the value of "buying a vowel" to like $1000?

[/quote]I can seriously doubt that this move will work.  In fact, there is nothing wrong with what is currently there for vowels.
Love and Heart--The Blackwood Company

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »
[quote name=\'bscripps\' post=\'237497\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 12:52 PM\']If I were running that show, here's how I'd do it:[/quote]
Perfect plan.  You're hired!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 01:18:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Darion Blackwood Daniel\' post=\'237500\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 01:00 PM\']I can seriously doubt that this move will work.  In fact, there is nothing wrong with what is currently there for vowels.[/quote]

The password is... wait, maybe we should change the rules for Password too while we're at it...

/Sarcasm... <DING!>

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »
[quote name=\'NicholasM79\' post=\'237503\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 01:18 PM\'][quote name=\'Darion Blackwood Daniel\' post=\'237500\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 01:00 PM\']I can seriously doubt that this move will work.  In fact, there is nothing wrong with what is currently there for vowels.[/quote]

The password is... wait, maybe we should change the rules for Password too while we're at it...

/Sarcasm... <DING!>
[/quote]
Carol Burnett and Darion have the first crack.

CAROL: I'll play. (To Darion) Whooooosh...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 02:33:01 PM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'237499\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 09:59 AM\']It took me until #3 to realize.  When I skimmed ahead and caught #8, I was sure.[/quote]
My head was on its way to hitting the desk, when it dawned on me, and I read some more.

9/10. Bravo. Bravissimo. Caught a couple of minnows, too, I see. Bon appetit. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 02:34:26 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' post=\'237492\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 06:23 AM\']Should Wheel of Fortune increase the value of "buying a vowel" to like $1000?[/quote]
My, but spending other people's money is...wait, this isn't that.

My, but NOT spending other people's money is...no, this isn't really that either.

He's like the anti-Lesko.

I'm so confused.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 07:29:43 PM »
How about at any point in the round, you can give up all your winnings, and fill in ALL the vowels in the puzzle? Imagine the time they'd save!!!

Phil V

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 12:44:27 AM »
uh, [PLINK] uh, Darion, [PLINK], umm,

THINGS THAT ARE GULLIBLE!

[DING]

P.S. When did the bonus round become good to the last drop?  Does Wheel really need more advertising?
Due to an error in judgment, a contestant's post was removed and the thread edited.

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 03:09:29 AM »
[quote name=\'bscripps\' post=\'237497\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 09:52 AM\']If I were running that show, here's how I'd do it:[/quote]
I nominate for Post of the Day.  You had me crying laughing so hard.

--Charlie
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:40:36 PM by GiraffeBoy »
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

dscungio

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 11:45:01 AM »
[quote name=\'bscripps\' post=\'237497\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 01:52 PM\'][quote name=\'14gameshows\' post=\'237492\' date=\'Mar 13 2010, 09:23 AM\']Should Wheel of Fortune increase the value of "buying a vowel" to like $1000?

[/quote]

<snip>

That's Wordwang!

-D__n