Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mindreaders 79  (Read 3932 times)

14gameshows

Mindreaders 79
« on: February 22, 2010, 03:47:36 PM »
I've been reading online that NBC wiped out the majority of Mindreader episodes and that's why the show is not in the G-T library.

I also read on Wikipedia that it is possible that the show exists because of a clip of the show was used for Mr. Goodson's Birthday Video Tape and whosoeverwill, matched up the frames and "they" came to the conclusion that the particular show in where the clip came from is from the third airing of Mindreaders.

Do we have an offical verdict as if the show still exists or is it gone and what's the real story???

*I find it odd that NBC would wipe out Mindreaders as it's was a Goodson-Todman show. IIRC, wasn't Password Plus airing on the Peacock network at the sametime as Mindreaders?  

Also when did NBC stop wiping there programs AND did NBC (or any other network for that matter) wipe their nighttime shows besides their daytime shows?

BrandonFG

Mindreaders 79
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:57:03 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' post=\'236306\' date=\'Feb 22 2010, 03:47 PM\']*I find it odd that NBC would wipe out Mindreaders as it's was a Goodson-Todman show. IIRC, wasn't Password Plus airing on the Peacock network at the sametime as Mindreaders?[/quote]
Yep, along with Card Sharks. From what I read, wiping continued until about 1979 or so, but with two other G-T shows on the lineup, I'm surprised that Mindreaders wouldn't have made it, considering the other G-T stuff from the late-70s exists, despite being unsuccessful (Better Sex comes to mind).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

Mindreaders 79
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »
Yep, along with Card Sharks. From what I read, wiping continued until about 1979 or so, but with two other G-T shows on the lineup, I'm surprised that Mindreaders wouldn't have made it, considering the other G-T stuff from the late-70s exists, despite being unsuccessful (Better Sex comes to mind).

Only four Better Sex episodes exist that we know of, and two have aired on GSN.

I find it odd too that Mindreaders could be gone, considering the year that it aired.  However, considering GSN has aired at least one episode of just about every GT show they have over the years, it's likely they don't have any episodes of it.

If it is gone is it a big loss?  I think the best part of the show was the theme!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Robair

Mindreaders 79
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 05:58:42 PM »
"Does the series exist?"

Quite frankly, I have spent the last 30 years in denial...
--Robair

14gameshows

Mindreaders 79
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »
I think the best part of the show was the theme!

YES!  I think this theme is one of the best game show themes out there!  It has that classy, disco, cheery and yet cheesy feel to it but yet addicting to listen to!

*and the vamp of the main theme (the background music you hear during the bonus round per the clip on youtube) is jammin!
I tell you what, Score Productions has to be the best tv music company ever!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Mindreaders 79
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 06:54:01 PM »
I'd feel a little miffed it were completely gone, but in trying to watch the one existing ep. I couldn't help but fast forward. The set and other aesthetics were neat, especially during the fun bonus game, but even that found its way into a better product (CS86).

And just as I search for "that clip" on YouTube, another small fragment of the series has been unearthed - this a non-gameplay clip of a show featuring Brett Somers & Bill Daily as guests.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

chrisholland03

Mindreaders 79
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 06:54:55 PM »
The set was sponsored by Color Tile
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:55:10 PM by chrisholland03 »

Eric Paddon

Mindreaders 79
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 07:49:57 PM »
There are actually two complete episodes accounted for, the third episode and also one from December 79 with Jack Jones and Joyce Bulifant.

BrandonFG

Mindreaders 79
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:10:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'236312\' date=\'Feb 22 2010, 05:10 PM\']

Only four Better Sex episodes exist that we know of, and two have aired on GSN.
[/quote]
I stand (or sit) corrected.

Is CBS the only network that actually saved most of G-T's stuff, at least from the 60s/70s on? I can't think of anything off the top of my head that they destroyed...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Mindreaders 79
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »
No network has the legal authority to erase any episode of any show unless requested to by the owners of the show, in this case Goodson-Todman Productions. I don't know the status of Mindreaders, but the decision to recycle the tapes as opposed to paying to store them would have to come from old man Goodson. Still, there may have been the odd 3/4" office copy lying around from which clips were extracted.

Back in the '70s NBC started destroying films of old You Bet Your Life episodes. It wasn't until after they started destroying episodes that somebody got the bright idea to contact the owner of the films, John Guedel, who put a stop to their destruction, claimed them, and gave the show a new life in syndication.

BillCullen1

Mindreaders 79
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 10:48:03 PM »
I know my username and Brett Somers were on the second week. Dick Martin wasn't the greatest host, but he provided some laughs, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Ian Wallis

Mindreaders 79
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 12:12:29 PM »
There are actually two complete episodes accounted for, the third episode and also one from December 79 with Jack Jones and Joyce Bulifant.

For those of you keeping track, the Jack Jones/Joyce Bulafont episode in the trade curcuit originally aired Dec 13, 1979.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!