Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Help with a Game Show question  (Read 4782 times)

Tim L

Help with a Game Show question
« on: February 15, 2010, 08:13:56 PM »
A reader on the Cleveland Classic Media Facebook page put this question on the  discussion board..

[color=\"#3b5998\"]1970's? tv game show[/color]

"lived in Mentor when i was a kid. there was a game show on then that was so cool, but the name eludes me. the gist of the show was that the contestants got to drive these little speedboats around to different little islands where they would then dig up puzzle pieces to reassemble on the main island; thereby winning the game. Anyone know what the name of this show was???"

I was thinking it was either Bob Eubanks' Diamond Head Game from 1975 (aired in Cleveland at 4:30 weekdays on WKYC-3), or a game show that I seem to remember from 1967-68 on ABC that had an outdoor/island type set, but in searching through the internet, I couldnt find a name for it..

Diamond Head just seemed like a regular question-answer game till the "money tree" round..So that doesnt appear to be it..Any ideas?

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:16:03 PM »
Sounds like Treasure Isle...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:40:24 PM »
Absolutely Treasure Isle.  Technically, the players didn't tool around in speedboats, though.  The host (John Bartholomew Tucker) entered on one, but the players had to paddle around in inflatable rafts.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Tim L

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:45:46 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'235941\' date=\'Feb 15 2010, 08:16 PM\']Sounds like Treasure Isle...[/quote]

I'll double check Foster, but you may well be right..The "ABC Daytime" Wikipedia page failed me..One game show that was not listed there..

This appears to pretty much confirm it:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_anyone_reme...sland_from_1966

Thanks for the quick answer, Foster, and the confirmation, Matt..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:40:06 PM by Tim L »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 09:09:36 PM »
Wow, I can't believe there isn't a Treasure Isle Wikipedia page.  True, you'd probably have to be at least 50 to remember it, but the ones who do -- especially the ones who were kids around that time -- remember it fondly.  You can find a few stick-in-the-mud types who point to it in various "worst ever" lists, but they just don't know good, goofy fun when they see it.  I probably find myself revisiting my DVD of that as often as anything else in my collection.  In fact, I think I'll go watch one now!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:15:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'235949\' date=\'Feb 15 2010, 09:09 PM\']I probably find myself revisiting my DVD of that as often as anything else in my collection.  In fact, I think I'll go watch one now![/quote]
Strangely enough, I never even realized episodes existed. Is that on one of the special 60s compilation DVDs (the company's name escapes me)?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Tim L

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:15:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'235949\' date=\'Feb 15 2010, 09:09 PM\']Wow, I can't believe there isn't a Treasure Isle Wikipedia page. True, you'd probably have to be at least 50 to remember it, but the ones who do -- especially the ones who were kids around that time -- remember it fondly. You can find a few stick-in-the-mud types who point to it in various "worst ever" lists, but they just don't know good, goofy fun when they see it. I probably find myself revisiting my DVD of that as often as anything else in my collection. In fact, I think I'll go watch one now![/quote]

As it is, Matt, I'm 52 and vaguely remember that show..Had just forgotten the name of it..Even the Facebook reader remembered it, and she is probably close to our age..

Tim L

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 09:20:29 PM »
Foster:
Two places might have it..

Shokus Video

http://shokus.com/

KineVideo

http://kinevideo.net/

Shokus has better quality videos generally, but both have very rare stuff..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:35:36 PM by Tim L »

alfonzos

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 10:10:55 PM »
I have two episodes of the show in my meager collection. One is from Shokus Video and the other from the now defunct Page O' Clips. Each is of a slightly different format but neither is from late in the run when they replace the jigsaw poem with a rebus puzzle.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 11:09:19 PM »
Treasure Isle aired on ABC's daytime schedule from December 18, 1967 to December 27, 1968. One of the producers was Paul Alter.

I know of four episodes that exist, including one supposedly from the first week. I have one episode, dated May 20, 1968, which as far as I know is the only one that has a specific date attached.

(Maybe I should make "Game of the Month" an hour-long special...)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:05:05 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 06:56:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'235972\' date=\'Feb 15 2010, 11:09 PM\']Treasure Isle aired on ABC's daytime schedule from December 18, 1967 to December 27, 1968. One of the producers was Paul Alter.

I know of four episodes to exist, including one supposedly from the first week. The one episode I have is dated May 20, 1968 -- the only existing episode to have a specific date.

(Maybe I should make "Game Of The Month" an hour-long special...)[/quote]
In Saginaw, we got it on a one-week delay via B&W kinescope.  The ABC station in town didn't pick it up, but the CBS station did and aired it in afternoon fringe, so I got to see it after school.  A good number of ABC daytime shows were rejected by the local affil and aired instead by the CBS affil. "Temptaition," "Baby Game," "How's Your Mother-in-Law" as well as "Ben Casey" and "The Fugitive" rerun strips, all on kine.  You would think that more of these films might be out there.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 03:08:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' post=\'235954\' date=\'Feb 15 2010, 09:20 PM\']Foster:
Two places might have it..

Shokus Video

http://shokus.com/[/quote]
That's the one I was thinking of. I kept wanting to say Shostak, but knew that couldn't be right. :-P

Thanks!

Oh, will you look at that...I'm at 8,000!!1! There will be cake in the kitchen...

Fedya

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 07:35:45 AM »
You want cake?  Here you go.

(Courtesy of the wonderful Cake Wrecks blog.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 10:52:08 PM »
You want cake? Here you go.
I...am officially disturbed. :o
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 08:24:07 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...