Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jackpot question  (Read 2205 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Jackpot question
« on: February 17, 2010, 06:22:47 PM »
I don't know if this varied between the NBC and USA runs, but how did one try for the Super Jackpot naturally? Did you get the chance once the riddle was revealed and the numbers matched? Or did you still play out the riddle in progress?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jackpot question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:29:31 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'236060\' date=\'Feb 17 2010, 03:22 PM\']I don't know if this varied between the NBC and USA runs, but how did one try for the Super Jackpot naturally? Did you get the chance once the riddle was revealed and the numbers matched? Or did you still play out the riddle in progress?[/quote]
It actually even varied in the USA run (unless we're counting the Edwards part of that as a separate run)...under Darrow, the money was added once it was revealed, and if that was a match then THAT riddle in play became the Super Jackpot riddle. Under Edwards, the money was added for a right answer, and he had a standalone purpose-written SJ riddle he would read himself after that.

/and I will gently point out that the Wiki article answers all of this for you
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:31:07 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Johnissoevil

Jackpot question
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 06:55:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'236061\' date=\'Feb 17 2010, 06:29 PM\']/and I will gently point out that the Wiki article answers all of this for you[/quote]

Sometimes you can't trust Wikipedia.  There are times when some know it all editor will add a ridiculous exaggeration.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

clemon79

Jackpot question
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 07:03:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Johnissoevil\' post=\'236063\' date=\'Feb 17 2010, 03:55 PM\']Sometimes you can't trust Wikipedia.  There are times when some know it all editor will add a ridiculous exaggeration.[/quote]
True. This, however, is not one of those times, nor something one would exaggerate ridiculously about. S'all I'm saying. :)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Jackpot question
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 07:36:56 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'236061\' date=\'Feb 17 2010, 07:29 PM\']/and I will gently point out that the Wiki article answers all of this for you[/quote]

That was actually where my conundrum came from. It doesn't explain how NBC handled it (or at least, explains it incorrectly as I had thought - hence my asking). AFAIK Geoff always had a separate Super Jackpot riddle in the 70s. But did he ask it once the money was added, forgetting the riddle in the wallet? Or did you have to get that correct to stay eligible?

Geoff's later run with the money-added-when-correct was in syndication, not for USA.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

Jackpot question
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 07:44:56 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'236067\' date=\'Feb 17 2010, 04:36 PM\']That was actually where my conundrum came from. It doesn't explain how NBC handled it (or at least, explains it incorrectly as I had thought - hence my asking). AFAIK Geoff always had a separate Super Jackpot riddle in the 70s. But did he ask it once the money was added, forgetting the riddle in the wallet? Or did you have to get that correct to stay eligible?[/quote]
Fair enough, and I offer humble apologies for suggesting you didn't do your homework. And your point is valid...it's not really certain even watching the big win on YouTube how it worked when the target number was hit naturally.

joker316

Jackpot question
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 02:46:53 PM »
I always thought when you matched the target number, if the next number called was the Jackpot riddle , it was for the Super Jackpot. IIRC a couple of times early in the NBC run where the target number matched, but the player didn't find the Jackpot riddle, and the pot continued to grow.

/this memory is strictly from the first few months of the NBC run.

EDIT: Should have read Wiki first!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:50:29 PM by joker316 »
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Jackpot question
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 08:24:50 PM »
What really irked me was the NBC rule change detailed on Adam Nedeff's site -- for the last 13 weeks, the Super Jackpot was only worth up to $10,000 (no more Target Number or Multiplier) and could only be played for if the Jackpot Question itself was found (not last) and passed on to answer all the other questions first, after which the Jackpot would become the Super Jackpot.

If the contestant decided to pass on the Jackpot Question and missed along the way, three things would happen:
1) The current Expert got booted out (standard penalty for an incorrect response).
2) The Jackpot went back down to $0.
3) A new value would be set for the Super Jackpot.

So yeah, it was made less fun and less expensive at the same time -- Lin Bolen and her (probably paid to say what she wanted them to say) focus group not only ripped out the show's heart and soul, but also its budget.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 05:19:51 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...