Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: My own radio game show!  (Read 6624 times)

DrBear

My own radio game show!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2003, 10:11:45 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 02:12 AM\'] [quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Nov 10 2003, 02:35 PM\'] Hmmm...charades? :) [/quote]
I think Blockbusters would adapt ever so well to radio. Or Concentration. [/quote]
 Actually, I was thinking "Win, Lose or Draw...."

Seriously, have fun with it. Do something silly like "Dead or Canadian?" Or maybe a Cram-style guess-the-riddle contest. And remember to sneak "The Phrase That Pays" in there someplace.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
My own radio game show!
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2003, 11:42:13 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 08:11 AM\'] Seriously, have fun with it. Do something silly like "Dead or Canadian?" [/quote]
That's another excellent idea. Get a couple of the more recent editions of You Don't Know Jack and steal (or write your own!) some Dis or Dat questions.

"I have a list of seven names, for each one, you will have to tell me whether it is a Pasta, or an Opera Composer. Five points for each right answer, and remember that the high scorer at the end of the show wins a prize. You will have two seconds to answer, so be fast. Are you ready?"

"Um, yeah."

"Then here we go. Puccini! Fusilli! Rigatoni! Bellini! Donizetti!"

If you could set up several such games, for a flat point amount each (say, 50 overall), you could play them TPiR style. I think playing the Mystery Guest game WML-style is a great idea too. The all-sports station in San Francisco used to do it, except of course they had the famous sports figure on the line, but you can do it without that, if you come up with a good hint to lead people in the right direction.

"Thanks for playing, Bob, we'll be in touch if you're our winner. We're gonna take a quick break, Name That Dude is coming up after this..."

You might also consider using your PD / producer as a sidekick...it'll take some of the heat off of you, and butter him up nicely ;) Give him the Randy job:

"Rick, who is our next player?"

"Ryan, please welcome Dick Hertz!"

"Hi, Dick, howareya?"...etc.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 11:47:08 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

vtown7

My own radio game show!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2003, 03:21:59 PM »
Guys and gals,

Thanks SO MUCH for all of your suggestions.  They're great!  That idea of rotating games is very intriguing. I'm meeting with the production manager this week and hopefully we'll be able to mount a pilot show soon enough!

And Jason: you can call.  I'll take your call :)

Paging Randy: you want a job? I can pay you in Cod. :)

Cheers, and thanks,

Ryan :)

gameshowhost1

My own radio game show!
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2003, 11:41:12 AM »
I do a daily quiz/trivia show here in Huntington, West Virginia.  My 100th show is Monday, Nov.17.  I call it "Take A Chance."  It's simplistic in nature, but very few people win out.  I offer 6 categories, just like Jeopardy!  There are 3 questions in the category.  The caller picks 1 of the 6 categories and I ask  the 1st question.  If answered right a prize is given.  The caller risks losing that prize to move to #2.  If answered right, caller gets both prizes.  The caller risks losing the 2 prizes to move on to #3.  If answered correctly, caller gets all 3 prizes and is registered for a jackpot prize at the end of 6 weeks.  If the caller misses along the way, a consolation prize is given.

I'm at a commercial station here, so the "sales weasels" get me stuff to give away.  I could envision a campus station giving away t-shirts, coupons, college apparel, etc.

I have a theme, sfx of right & wrong answers and an announcer(Adam Nedeff)who is also a member of this board.

The execution comes off very nicely.

joshg

My own radio game show!
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2003, 01:53:21 PM »
I think Blockbusters would adapt ever so well to radio. Or Concentration.

On my rarely heard college station back East, my radio partner and I actually DID play 'Blockbusters' on the radio for our morning show...

Granted we were stopping people outside the studio to challenge my co-host in-studio, but still, it's difficult to play 'Blockbusters' (a purely visual game) on the radio.

How about radio 'Match Game'?

JOSH
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
My own radio game show!
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2003, 02:57:42 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowhost1\' date=\'Nov 13 2003, 08:41 AM\'] I do a daily quiz/trivia show here in Huntington, West Virginia.  My 100th show is Monday, Nov.17.  I call it "Take A Chance."  It's simplistic in nature, but very few people win out.  I offer 6 categories, just like Jeopardy!  There are 3 questions in the category.  The caller picks 1 of the 6 categories and I ask  the 1st question.  If answered right a prize is given.  The caller risks losing that prize to move to #2.  If answered right, caller gets both prizes.  The caller risks losing the 2 prizes to move on to #3.  If answered correctly, caller gets all 3 prizes and is registered for a jackpot prize at the end of 6 weeks.  If the caller misses along the way, a consolation prize is given.

I'm at a commercial station here, so the "sales weasels" get me stuff to give away.  I could envision a campus station giving away t-shirts, coupons, college apparel, etc.

I have a theme, sfx of right & wrong answers and an announcer(Adam Nedeff)who is also a member of this board.

The execution comes off very nicely. [/quote]
 How much time do you spend preparing questions each week?

reason1024

My own radio game show!
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2003, 05:34:59 PM »
The Don & Mike radio show is able to (more or less successfully) play Match Game, Strip Trivia, and Low-Budget Jep-par-dee.

I'd say start out with one contestant games for your first "season", and then both your audience and your staff will probably be ready for two contestant games.

Good luck,
Mike / reason

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
My own radio game show!
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2003, 06:05:59 PM »
One point to take into consideration is this: a typical drive-time radio program might intersperse game elements among other show elements such as songs, commercials, traffic reports, etc. Actual game play may last only a few minutes. Contrast this with an entire show devoted to your game, where actual game play might take upwards of 20 minutes during a half-hour show. IOW it's one thing to play a handful of Jeopardy!  or Match Game questions between sets of songs, commercials and traffic reports. It's quite another thing to construct a full 30-minute show based solely around a game without those other program elements.

vtown7

My own radio game show!
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2003, 03:36:15 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks once again for your help.  Good news, we're recording two pilots next week.  The format will be five rounds, with two pairs facing off each other.  The idea is that we'll tinker with it and do a full out launch in January.

Will fill you in with more when it comes time!

Cheers,

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
My own radio game show!
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2003, 10:31:25 AM »
How frequently will this show air? Daily? Weekly?

Five rounds of what? If this is going to be a Q&A game, be prepared to spend a substantial amount of time researching and writing questions, probably more time than you realize. Once you get past the obvious "first tier" questions ("Who was President Nixon's vice president?") that you can write off the top of your head, question researching and writing can become a major undertaking in terms of time consumption. I speak from experience on this, and it's why I suggested the WML? format. If all of your material consists of obvious, easy-to-write questions then your game won't be much of a challenge. If you lift material from, say, Trivial Pursuit then you have copyright issues.

vtown7

My own radio game show!
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2003, 10:56:54 AM »
We're doing five rounds that vary in their material and game play: only two (the first and the last) are strictly quiz questions.

It's going to air weekly, a half hour slot.  We're recording a couple of pilots next week, and then we'll start a regular slot in January.

Cheers,

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
My own radio game show!
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2003, 11:59:49 AM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 01:36 PM\'] The format will be five rounds, with two pairs facing off each other. [/quote]
 Two PAIRS? You are asking your audience to juggle FOUR seperate voices they don't know?

Wow. Good luck with it, but that's a bad idea, IMO...
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gameshowhost1

My own radio game show!
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2003, 12:35:35 PM »
In response to Chris319, The question writing comes in spurts--whenever I have time with the other duties I have here at WRVC.  I write academic questions for other tournaments, so I take some from that material, others I just get from wherever.  So, there's no real time spent writing I can give you, other than it's whenever I have the time

vtown7

My own radio game show!
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2003, 02:18:54 PM »
clemon79 said:
Two PAIRS? You are asking your audience to juggle FOUR seperate voices they don't know?

We're going to try our best!  I'll be recognizing the team name/player name when they answer questions.  

I'm sure these issues will work themselves out in the pilots, though!

Cheers,

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
My own radio game show!
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2003, 03:01:08 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 11:18 AM\'] clemon79 said:

We're going to try our best!  I'll be recognizing the team name/player name when they answer questions.  

I'm sure these issues will work themselves out in the pilots, though!

Cheers,

Ryan :) [/quote]
 These are going to be call-in contestants or in-studio contestants?