Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More heartbreak for Vanna White  (Read 6116 times)

cmjb13

More heartbreak for Vanna White
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2003, 07:25:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 10:35 PM\'] Exactly how many 46-year-old women would even contemplate starting a new family? [/quote]
 Ever been to Hollywood?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

inturnaround

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2003, 08:01:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 01:36 AM\']
That's a weak retort.  "I do what I do because everyone else does it, eventhough I know I am disrespecting someone's privacy by reading it."

So you want dirt on the people you like.  That's sad.

[/quote]
 'tis human nature. 'tis human nature.

But he was honest. People like hearing about what the rich and famous go through...especially the bad things because it means that we're not the only ones who have crappy lives sometimes. So, weak retort or not, it was the truth.

Besides, it's not like he's proud of it. He says it's a guilty pleasure. So stop looking down on him (and, by extension, me) we don't want to see up your nose.

Believe it or not, but the Enquirer has come a long way from its "crazy make 'em ups" beginnings. They're now often quoted in respected newspapers for the work they do on high profile legal cases. Not only that, but every newspaper has an Enquirer-esque gossip page. So, while you may not like it, it's more mainstream than you probably would like.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

HSquares2003

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2003, 11:17:57 AM »
Wasn't that meant to be read as "Hollyweird"?(re: the bus driver on PYL who said he drove on Hollyweird Boulevard!)

I thought the tabloids had their hay day with Vanna in the '80s and '90s, but I guess they had to start back up again.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2003, 12:02:22 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 06:01 AM\'] Not only that, but every newspaper has an Enquirer-esque gossip page. So, while you may not like it, it's more mainstream than you probably would like. [/quote]
 Just because the IQ of the average newspaper reader is sinking like the Titanic is no reason to suggest everyone get on board to go down with the ship.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2003, 12:07:53 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Nov 18 2003, 08:01 AM\'] 'tis human nature. 'tis human nature. [/quote]
 After this, I wish to cmment no further.

I particularly don't care to know "dirt" on people I like.  I don't feel any closer to someone for knowing taht they aren't perfect.  But I avoid the tabloids, and a lot of the E! channel altogether, so that's just me.

So yeah, I do think it is sad for me to unfairly know about the problems about the people I admire in order to feel better about myself.

Brandon Brooks

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2003, 12:28:18 PM »
The fact that the E! channel exists, and that tabloids and gossip columnists and paparazzi and Entertainment Tonight all exist, proves that there's a market for news about celebrities, good and bad.  If it's not your particular cup of tea, that's great, you're not required to enjoy it.  But I think it's grossly unfair to dramatically reword someone's admitted "guilty pleasure" for that sort of thing and then based on your OWN definition, categorize it as "sad".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.