Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wink Martindale Hosts "Instant Recall"  (Read 12549 times)

xavier45

Wink Martindale Hosts "Instant Recall"
« on: February 03, 2010, 11:44:07 PM »
A while back, Randy West posted Wink was coming back to host a new show. Well here it is. Wink posted on his website that he is coming back to Game Shows, and GSN got him. He will be hosting their new hidden camera Game, Instant Recall. Buzzerblog says that this game puts people in different situations while being watched by a Hidden Camera. Then later, they will have to remember exactly what happened to them. The more the know, the more money they will win.

It will be interesting to see if this show does any good in the ratings. Hidden Agenda is down to 3 airings now after getting terrible numbers in both first run and reruns. But either way, good to see Wink back in Game Shows.

It premieres March 4th.

http://www.winkmartindale.com/mainmenu/images/winks_back.jpg
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:44:28 PM by xavier45 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 12:18:13 AM »
As happy as I am for Wink that he's working again, I just don't care about the idea enough to watch more than the one. It was done already with The Phone last year. One of the big problems for me with Hidden Agenda is the lack of any sort of tension-building or episode-ending climax. Cash Cab is played for even lower stakes but manage to keep the game entertaining because there's the threat of the game ending after two wrong answers, so when a group manages to reach their destination on two strikes, it is that much more exciting. And then they have the Double-or-Nothing question to try for at the end. Hidden Agenda has...three more big-money stunts and the reveal. Yawn.

The worst thing about this is that GSN's push-poll seems to be saying "We intend to move farther in this direction, and we want to know if you think this idea is merely great or incredibly awesome." I would rather endure more Chain Reaction or Catch 21, which at least look like game shows, rather than fly-on-the wall shows like Unstapled or games like Candid Hit Man.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:01:02 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'235574\' date=\'Feb 9 2010, 12:18 AM\']As happy as I am for Wink that he's working again, I just don't care about the idea enough to watch more than the one.[/quote]
I'm with you. Not to prejudge the show, but I gotta admit, I was a bit disappointed when I found that this was the show he was hosting. Maybe it's the fact that it just sounds out of place for a traditional host like Wink to host what this kind of show. Outside of the posters on this forum, what percentage of GSN's target demo is aware of who or what a Wink Martindale is? I mean, his last game show was what, a dozen years ago?

Oh wait, this is GSN...I forgot they love celebrities who haven't done a TV show in a dozen or more years. {Emily Litella}Never-minnnnnd...{/EL}

/So much for that TTD10
///TTD-X?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 08:01:50 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:45:04 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'235584\' date=\'Feb 9 2010, 08:01 AM\']what percentage of GSN's target demo is aware of who or what a Wink Martindale is? I mean, his last game show was what, a dozen years ago?[/quote]I know you were being sarcastic, but hasn't he done commercials very recently for Orbitz?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

/He did do those commercials for Digornio.
//It isn't delivery, dammit.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:59:20 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'235588\' date=\'Feb 9 2010, 09:45 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'235584\' date=\'Feb 9 2010, 08:01 AM\']what percentage of GSN's target demo is aware of who or what a Wink Martindale is? I mean, his last game show was what, a dozen years ago?[/quote]I know you were being sarcastic, but hasn't he done commercials very recently for Orbitz?  Or am I thinking of someone else?

/He did do those commercials for Digornio.
//It isn't delivery, dammit.
[/quote]
It was Wink. And while that's true, I guess I should say who in GSN's target demo knows him from his game shows, and not his game show host parodies from recent commercials? Then again, Chuck Woolery wasn't necessarily a household name when he did Lingo, and I remember him saying some teenagers recognized him on the street after that show started...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

chrisholland03

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 01:44:33 PM »
So is a new Toyota the grand prize?

Johnissoevil

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 03:30:48 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'235591\' date=\'Feb 9 2010, 10:59 AM\']It was Wink. And while that's true, I guess I should say who in GSN's target demo knows him from his game shows, and not his game show host parodies from recent commercials? Then again, Chuck Woolery wasn't necessarily a household name when he did Lingo, and I remember him saying some teenagers recognized him on the street after that show started...[/quote]

Who can forget one guy on the New Jersey Turnpike calling him "Chuck Lowery" on an episode of Naturally Stoned?
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 12:25:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'235588\' date=\'Feb 9 2010, 09:45 AM\']I know you were being sarcastic, but hasn't he done commercials very recently for Orbitz?[/quote]
Those wouldn't fit my definition of "recently," let alone "very recently."

/Is it just me or do the current Orbitz commercials use What's My Line? music?
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 01:33:28 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'235584\' date=\'Feb 9 2010, 05:01 AM\']Maybe it's the fact that it just sounds out of place for a traditional host like Wink to host what this kind of show. Outside of the posters on this forum, what percentage of GSN's target demo is aware of who or what a Wink Martindale is?[/quote]It isn't even that for me. As much as we knocked Amnesia, at least the show built to a meaningful climax. (The fact that people weren't willing to have a go on the $25,000 question notwithstanding...)

Game shows are supposed to build to a climax by increasing the money, the tension, the difficulty...something. Hidden Agenda didn't build to much of anything, because there was no tension or risk. The couple is going to win some money no matter what. Now if the "in on it" partner can bet those thousands of dollars on the sucker partner doing it, at least that's something.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 02:54:24 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'235767\' date=\'Feb 12 2010, 12:33 AM\']As much as we knocked Amnesia, at least the show built to a meaningful climax. (The fact that people weren't willing to have a go on the $25,000 question notwithstanding...)[/quote]
Am I the only one who really enjoyed Amnesia? Despite the way-too-personal-to-play-along format, I thought it was a refreshingly pleasant show to watch.
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 07:31:36 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'235769\' date=\'Feb 12 2010, 02:54 AM\']Am I the only one who really enjoyed Amnesia? Despite the way-too-personal-to-play-along format, I thought it was a refreshingly pleasant show to watch.[/quote]
I did too...would've been a cute daytime or cable game show, and I don't really believe the talk about it having no play-along value. I mean, you can't really "play along" with "The Newlywed Game", and that's been around for 40+ years!

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 04:03:53 PM »
Congrats to The Winker. Hopefully, the show will turn out to be worthy of him.
[quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'235598\' date=\'Feb 9 2010, 01:44 PM\']So is a new Toyota the grand prize?[/quote]
Why would it be?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 04:06:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'235791\' date=\'Feb 12 2010, 04:03 PM\']Congrats to The Winker. Hopefully, the show will turn out to be worthy of him.[quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'235598\' date=\'Feb 9 2010, 01:44 PM\']So is a new Toyota the grand prize?[/quote]Why would it be?[/quote]
Surely you've heard of the Toyota recalls...

Don Howard

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 04:07:37 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'235792\' date=\'Feb 12 2010, 04:06 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'235791\' date=\'Feb 12 2010, 04:03 PM\']Congrats to The Winker. Hopefully, the show will turn out to be worthy of him.[quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'235598\' date=\'Feb 9 2010, 01:44 PM\']So is a new Toyota the grand prize?[/quote]Why would it be?[/quote]
Surely you've heard of the Toyota recalls...
[/quote]
Gotcha.
As for what will really be given away, what is the cash and prizes potential to be for Wink's first game of the 21st century?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 04:10:24 PM by Don Howard »

TimK2003

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 08:19:06 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'235770\' date=\'Feb 12 2010, 05:31 AM\'][quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'235769\' date=\'Feb 12 2010, 02:54 AM\']Am I the only one who really enjoyed Amnesia? Despite the way-too-personal-to-play-along format, I thought it was a refreshingly pleasant show to watch.[/quote]
I did too...would've been a cute daytime or cable game show, and I don't really believe the talk about it having no play-along value. I mean, you can't really "play along" with "The Newlywed Game", and that's been around for 40+ years!
[/quote]

Of course you can play along with TNG, especially if you are married.  Otherwise, how could four unrelated couples be able to play the game together???

The difference between Newlywed questions and Amnesia questions was that many of the Amnesia questions were so personalized, it was damn near impossible to play along (i.e. "What did your Uncle Eddie call you in the 3rd Grade?").