Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN expands its programming  (Read 9162 times)

Fedya

GSN expands its programming
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2003, 10:02:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 09:11 AM\'] To think ... last week we were all applauding GSN for adding more classics to the schedule, especially after the November 17th changes.  I guess we all have to accept the fact that GSN will never be purely just game shows anymore. [/quote]
 What made you think GSN is about game shows?

If you'd read their press release, you'd know they say over and over that

Game Show Network (GSN) is the only U.S. television network dedicated to game-related programming and interactive game playing.

Try saying that with a straight face.  :-p

Do people playing interactively on their computers watch the commercials, or spend time looking at their computer monitors during the commercials?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2003, 11:27:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 08:02 AM\'] Do people playing interactively on their computers watch the commercials, or spend time looking at their computer monitors during the commercials? [/quote]
 I bet at least a few of them do, and that's all that matters. Even if they don't, as long as they glance once or keep the audio up so it can be heard, the product imprint is made.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2003, 12:16:00 PM »
[quote name=\'whampyl03\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 01:00 AM\'] I don't get out much, so that statement is more slanted toward objectively rather than figuratively.

Switching back on topic...

Have we entered game-related Hell yet? [/quote]
 You definitely need to get out more then.

This isn't the defining moment of shame for GSN.  Watch another channel.

Brandon Brooks

Jay Temple

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2003, 01:32:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 09:02 AM\'] What made you think GSN is about game shows?
 [/quote]
 I don't know, maybe the fact that their website is www.gameshownewtork.com.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2003, 03:05:35 PM »
This isn't the defining moment of shame for GSN. Watch another channel.
Yes it is, Brandon.  Haven't you been paying attention?  EVERY SINGLE PROGRAMMING MOVE that GSN makes anymore is their defining moment of shame.  Why should this be any different?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2003, 04:48:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 01:32 PM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 09:02 AM\'] What made you think GSN is about game shows?
 [/quote]
I don't know, maybe the fact that their website is www.gameshownewtork.com.[/quote]
I'm sorry--the correct answer is www.gsn.com.

But you've been a wonderful contestant and thanks for playing--Randy West, what we do have for Jay?

dickoon

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2003, 06:21:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 02:50 AM\'] Would you (meaning the reader of this question) rather watch a really bad game show, or a Above-Meh Blackjack show [/quote]
 An Above-Meh blackjack show any day of the week - plus the omnibus edition at weekends. (Not that I necessarily accept that a made-for-TV blackjack show isn't at least as much a game show as the rest of the GSN lineup.)

I find it slightly difficult to conceive that people might choose the alternative, but I could well be being closed-minded here. If you would really watch the all-new star-studded $25,000 Really Bad Game Show, I would be very interested in the justification.

Seriously!
Chris

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2003, 07:58:44 PM »
[quote name=\'dickoon\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 07:21 PM\'] If you would really watch the all-new star-studded $25,000 Really Bad Game Show, I would be very interested in the justification.
 [/quote]
 TTD90 had almost everything except a decent host, IMO. The game was the same as always. If you could get past Wayne, it was pretty decent.

Casey Buck

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2003, 08:32:15 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 04:58 PM\']TTD90 had almost everything except a decent host, IMO. The game was the same as always. If you could get past Wayne, it was pretty decent.[/quote]
Yer high. Everything about TTD90 was bad; the host, the set, the music, the dreaded Divorced Couples week, and don't get me started about that dragon...

If you don't believe me, then read Jason Hernandez's page again.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2003, 08:58:56 PM »
Couple of tweaks (Set, Main Theme, Host, Bonus Game), and TTD '90 coulda been dang good.

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2003, 10:05:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 06:58 PM\'] Couple of tweaks (Set, Main Theme, Host, Bonus Game), and TTD '90 coulda been dang good. [/quote]
 That's like saying the Detroit Lions could be a good football team if they just improved two things: their offense, and their defense. :)

GS Warehouse

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2003, 10:54:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 10:05 PM\'] That's like saying the Detroit Lions could be a good football team if they just improved two things: their offense, and their defense. :) [/quote]
 Don't forget special teams, coaching, management, and fans.

Fedya

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2003, 10:09:46 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 11:27 AM\'] [quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 11 2003, 08:02 AM\'] Do people playing interactively on their computers watch the commercials, or spend time looking at their computer monitors during the commercials? [/quote]
I bet at least a few of them do, and that's all that matters. Even if they don't, as long as they glance once or keep the audio up so it can be heard, the product imprint is made. [/quote]
 Maybe I'm not normal, but if I have both the computer and TV on, I know I pay less attention to the TV.  I would have guessed that the number of people interactivity brings to the ratings who actually pay attention to the commercials is less than the number of people who would otherwise watch the show and the commercials even if there were no GSN Interactive, but are too busy on their computers. (IOW, a net loss of eyeballs viewing/ears listening to the commercials)

Of course, I'm not privy to all the information that GSN have about this stuff, and don't do GSN Interactive since I refuse to upgrade my Flash.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2003, 11:44:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Nov 12 2003, 08:09 AM\'] (IOW, a net loss of eyeballs viewing/ears listening to the commercials)

[/quote]
 I see what you're saying, but I don't agree that it has a measurable impact. You might not be FOCUSSING on the TV to watch the commercials, but they are still registering in the back of your head as long as you glance at them out of the corner of your eye, or can see the audio.

Sponsors don't care if you can recite the ad back to them at the end. They just want you to remember the product imprint.
Of course, I'm not privy to all the information that GSN have about this stuff, and don't do GSN Interactive since I refuse to upgrade my Flash.
Good lord, why? What do you phear from Macromedia?

Mike Tennant

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2003, 11:49:20 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 12 2003, 11:44 AM\']or can see the audio.[/quote]
Neat trick!  How do you do that?