Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: wouldnt hit man make a good kids game show?  (Read 8537 times)

chrisholland03

wouldnt hit man make a good kids game show?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 07:34:44 PM »
So this is what an acid trip is like...

GameShowGuru

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 11:18:23 AM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'234976\' date=\'Jan 26 2010, 08:00 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'234973\' date=\'Jan 26 2010, 07:39 AM\']IF you change the name and make diaper rash the subject of your material.
You could then call the game Diaper Rash![/quote]

I think that would be a rash decision.

Get it?  Diaper rash?  Rash decision??!
[/quote]

*Insert Blockbusters Gold Run losing horns*

Casey

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2010, 02:58:57 PM »
[quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'234997\' date=\'Jan 26 2010, 12:39 PM\']At least yall had joysticks, unlike my Commodore VIC-20 or Intellivision 1, II, and III.  I still have callouses in my thumbs and fingers that haven't fully healed 25 years later. ;-)[/quote]
Even that is better than the joysticks for the TI-99/4A - where the keyboard was actually the recommended choice for most games.  

/Still turns off Caps Lock to move "up".

Loogaroo

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 09:44:53 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' post=\'235086\' date=\'Jan 28 2010, 05:46 PM\']For those who have no clue on what he's talking about...[/quote]

A little part of my early childhood just shed a tear of joy.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »
Bumping this up since I found something relevant to this which was buried in one of moving boxes I hadn't touched for 7 months...

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'234983\' date=\'Jan 26 2010, 11:37 AM\']Also, can we as a group retire the nonsense that Hit Man had anything to do at all with video games?  Even when the show was first on, and the height of videogame sophistication was the Atari 5200, I knew that was a ridiculous thing for them to say.[/quote]
Quoting from a press release which came with a Hit Man transparency in my collection, "Host Peter Tomarken poses with the video game-inspired characters from which the name of NBC-TV's new game show 'Hit Man' is derived."

Matt will now kick my ass with his hidden third fist.

BrandonFG

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 06:18:45 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'239775\' date=\'Apr 20 2010, 05:54 PM\']Quoting from a press release which came with a Hit Man transparency in my collection, "Host Peter Tomarken poses with the video game-inspired characters from which the name of NBC-TV's new game show 'Hit Man' is derived."

Matt will now kick my ass with his hidden third fist.[/quote]
Nice knowing you, Mike...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 06:39:18 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'239775\' date=\'Apr 20 2010, 05:54 PM\']Bumping this up since I found something relevant to this which was buried in one of moving boxes I hadn't touched for 7 months...
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'234983\' date=\'Jan 26 2010, 11:37 AM\']Also, can we as a group retire the nonsense that Hit Man had anything to do at all with video games?  Even when the show was first on, and the height of videogame sophistication was the Atari 5200, I knew that was a ridiculous thing for them to say.[/quote]
Quoting from a press release which came with a Hit Man transparency in my collection, "Host Peter Tomarken poses with the video game-inspired characters from which the name of NBC-TV's new game show 'Hit Man' is derived."
No, no, this was my point all along.  It was a ridiculous thing for THEM (the producers) to say in the first place.  I knew that the show was sold to the public as being "inspired" by video games.  But as a 22-year-old who at the time enjoyed playing actual video games (yes, on my Atari 5200), I knew after one viewing that this was a crock.

/Do not taunt the hidden third fist.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tyshaun1

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 10:10:48 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'239775\' date=\'Apr 20 2010, 05:54 PM\']Quoting from a press release which came with a Hit Man transparency in my collection, "Host Peter Tomarken poses with the video game-inspired characters from which the name of NBC-TV's new game show 'Hit Man' is derived."

Which makes me wonder....... why in the world did Jay Wolpert package the show around a video game theme in the first place? For kids, you tune in because of the "exciting video game action" and find a memory recall quiz that would bore the pants off of you (i.e. me in 1983), and for adults who enjoy quizzes, most were probably turned off by the video game "packaging", which would relegate the show to "doomed to fail" status.

Tyshaun

/ba ba bum bum bum ba power!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:11:55 PM by tyshaun1 »

Loogaroo

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 02:36:54 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'239785\' date=\'Apr 20 2010, 09:10 PM\']Which makes me wonder....... why in the world did Jay Wolpert package the show around a video game theme in the first place?[/quote]
Consider the producer, among whose other game show creations included:

"Whew!", in which the bonus round consisted of contestants navigating their way past ten life-sized cardboard cutouts of "villains";
"Duel in the Daytime", which according to GSPL had a set reminiscent of a medieval tournament, complete with trumpet fanfare;
"Pandemonium", where audience members who gave incorrect answers were "beamed off" the show, and featured a bonus round where the player answered questions based on which of the two costumed actors parading across the stage fit a given statement;
"Rodeo Drive", with another unusual bonus round where a player had to identify various celebrities by listening to actors talking about them to inanimate set pieces;
"Shopping Spree", in which one member on each team had to wear various props all over themselves and pose like a statue in a town square so that their partner could divine what items they'd want from the game's shops;
"Skedaddle", admittedly a kid's show, but one of the most bizarre ones to air in the US with kids answering questions posed by three mascot dinosaurs, but not before throwing a tire back and forth between them to determine the question's point value;
"Blackout", probably the least insane show Wolpert created, but still featuring an animated opening where one woman (with head off-screen) blathered on about a random subject while another woman tried to censor her with a Blackout button.

So... Yeah.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

J.R.

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2010, 03:09:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'239792\' date=\'Apr 21 2010, 01:36 AM\']So... Yeah.[/quote]
Well, there goes my night.

/TVTropes. Internet crack.
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2010, 02:42:07 PM »
Thing is, I see what he was trying to do with creative, but I wonder what could've happened had Wolpert played it straighter. Unlike shows like D/ND, the formats were creative enough and weren't so weak that you needed gimmicks to chrome everything up.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

GameShowGuru

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2010, 06:05:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'239792\' date=\'Apr 21 2010, 02:36 AM\']Consider the producer, among whose other game show creations included:

"Whew!", in which the bonus round consisted of contestants navigating their way past ten life-sized cardboard cutouts of "villains";
"Rodeo Drive", with another unusual bonus round where a player had to identify various celebrities by listening to actors talking about them to inanimate set pieces;[/quote]

slightly off-topic: Do you think, based on the props from this 80s rap video, Oaktown's 3-5-7 were fans of Jay Wolpert's game shows, especially considering Rodeo Drive premiered the year following the release of this video?  Coincidence?  Maybe.....then again, maybe not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rct28hMdbCI...feature=related
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:27:54 AM by GameShowGuru »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2010, 07:01:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'239792\' date=\'Apr 21 2010, 02:36 AM\']"Blackout", probably the least insane show Wolpert created, but still featuring an animated opening where one woman (with head off-screen) blathered on about a random subject...[/quote]
Wolpert's wife.