Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Double Up with Jamie Farr  (Read 3925 times)

jrjgames

Double Up with Jamie Farr
« on: November 08, 2003, 06:30:49 PM »
Watching Scrabble game show week #2.

Did they do a Double Up pilot with Jamie Farr?

Anyone have it or know anything about it?

Just curious.

John

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2003, 07:11:08 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Nov 8 2003, 06:30 PM\'] Watching Scrabble game show week #2.

Did they do a Double Up pilot with Jamie Farr?

Anyone have it or know anything about it?

Just curious.

John [/quote]
 Not sure if a pilot was done for Double Up, but Jamie did do a Goodson pilot called Oddball c. 1986(can't recall the premise). He did sub-host a week of Wordplay six or so months prior to his Scrabble appearances.

dmota104

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 08:31:03 AM »
Anyone know how "Double Up" was played?

Starkman

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 09:25:27 AM »
unless you are talking about an unsold pilot with the same title, its a very bad DG ripoff for kids (DG+Kids = Disaster) If memory serves me correct (2cents to kaga) Siblings would choose dates for their other sibling in DG fashion...Dont know much else bout this train wreck other than JD Roth Hosted and it was on NBC Sat Morning (who was notorious for fake hipster shows for teens/preteens duirng the early/mid 90s after the success of Saved By the Bell) Why the good corporal would be involved in such a show's pilot id have no clue lol...if it is indeed the same show good Jamie got out when he did it would have been worse than doing sitcoms in drag ;)

dmota104

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 09:37:47 AM »
unless you are talking about an unsold pilot with the same title, its a very bad DG ripoff for kids (DG+Kids = Disaster) If memory serves me correct (2cents to kaga) Siblings would choose dates for their other sibling in DG fashion...Dont know much else bout this train wreck other than JD Roth Hosted and it was on NBC Sat Morning (who was notorious for fake hipster shows for teens/preteens duirng the early/mid 90s after the success of Saved By the Bell) Why the good corporal would be involved in such a show's pilot id have no clue lol...if it is indeed the same show good Jamie got out when he did it would have been worse than doing sitcoms in drag ;)

Yeah, I remember "Double Up" hosted by J.D. Roth. And I think only seven episodes of that clunker aired.

But, I have a hunch Jamie wouldn't sign on to host a dating show.  A stellar 11 years on "M*A*S*H" plus memorable guest appearances as a judge on "The Gong Show".  Why jeopardize memories of that when hosting a dating show?

And let's give Jamie props for doing a great job keep Tom Kennedy's podium warm for three episodes of "WordPlay".

bricon

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2003, 11:19:36 AM »
Double Up, if memory serves, was a Dick Clark pilot.  I'll have to dig for the tape, but I remember it being a celebrity/civilian quiz, not memorable enough to have cemented the format in my brain :)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2003, 01:02:57 PM »
A stellar 11 years on "M*A*S*H"
Most of them wearing a dress for cheap laughs.
plus memorable guest appearances as a judge on "The Gong Show".
Many people would not consider this to be a high point in a career.
Why jeopardize memories of that when hosting a dating show?
Didn't seem to harm the careers of Jim Lange, Chuck Woolery, Arlene Francis, Bill Cullen, Gene Rayburn, Bob Goen, Bob Eubanks, Dick Enberg and many, many other successful performers who've hosted some kind of relationship show at some point in their careers.

The point being, just because YOU don't happen to like "dating shows" does not necessarily mean that someone's legacy is in jeopardy for trying one.  Performers perform.  You aren't going to find too many who see easy work for a big paycheck and say, "Hey, I was a panelist on The Gong Show.  This is beneath me."
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChuckNet

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2003, 01:15:35 PM »
unless you are talking about an unsold pilot with the same title, its a very bad DG ripoff for kids (DG+Kids = Disaster)

Right the 1st time...while I know nothing about Farr's pilot, I'm positive it's a case of "same title, different show" syndrome.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2003, 01:33:31 PM »
Those of us with access to Canadian TV might remember Hart Pomerantz (of "This Is the Law" fame) had a game show on CBC called "Double Up" in the summer of 1974.  As I recall it was played similarly to "You Bet Your Life."  Corrections welcome.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

calliaume

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2003, 03:28:19 PM »
Those of us with access to Canadian TV might remember Hart Pomerantz (of "This Is the Law" fame) had a game show on CBC called "Double Up" in the summer of 1974. As I recall it was played similarly to "You Bet Your Life." Corrections welcome.

This was about two years after Pomerantz's CBC series of comedy specials had ended, and he'd broken up with his longtime writing and performing partner.  That partner moved to the States and started producing a comedy series for NBC, Saturday Night Live.

Yeah, Lorne Michaels did pretty well for himself.  {Paul Harvey}And now you know... the rest of the story.{/PH}

(Side note:  on their 1968-1969 CBC show Barris and Company, starring Alex Barris, the announcer was Alex Trebek.  Michaels and Pomerantz left the show to write for Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In.)