Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Cliffhangers music:  (Read 16621 times)

HYHYBT

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« on: June 21, 2003, 03:13:53 AM »
I know this looks like a silly question, but I started whistling it at work once and someone started singing along, in Spanish. It was a couple of years ago now, I'm not sure what they were saying, etc., but I forgot to ask about it at the time and was just thinking about it today.

So, does anyone know if there's a song with that tune?
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Kevin Prather

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 07:03:04 PM »
i think it's just a guy yodeling, but i'm not sure.

HYHYBT

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 01:44:42 AM »
That's not quite what I meant; for example, there are words to the Star Trek theme but you don't hear them on the show. I was wondering if perhaps the tune is an actual song. Then again, that guy *was* a little strange:)
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Kevin Prather

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 01:14:07 PM »
people tend to make up words to songs like that. remember Harry on \"3rd Rock From the Sun\"?

(to the theme of the classic WoF theme.)

~ Wheel of Fortune, spin the wheel of fortune, the appeal of fortune is subliiiiiime! ~

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 09:02:49 PM »
Believe me, the Star Trek theme does have real lyrics.  I sang them in show choir a number of years ago.

GS Warehouse

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2003, 09:07:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jun 25 2003, 08:02 PM\'] Believe me, the Star Trek theme does have real lyrics.  I sang them in show choir a number of years ago. [/quote]
 Do I have to plug another Yahoo! group here?  As a member of the Opening Credits Squad, I uncovered many themes thought to be instrumentals but actually have lyrics.  Among them:
  • I Love Lucy
  • Bewitched
  • I Dream of Jeannie
  • Hawaii Five-O
  • The Flying Nun
There are too many too name here.

tomobrien

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 10:29:59 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jun 25 2003, 08:07 PM\']Do I have to plug another Yahoo! group here?  As a member of the Opening Credits Squad, I uncovered many themes thought to be instrumentals but actually have lyrics.  Among them:
  • I Love Lucy
  • Bewitched
  • I Dream of Jeannie
  • Hawaii Five-O
  • The Flying Nun
[/quote]
Some of those really didn't take a whole lot of \"uncovering\"...Desi Arnaz recorded a vocal version of the \"Lucy\" theme; Peggy Lee (and others) recorded \"Bewitched\" and Hugo Montenegro's chorus recorded \"I Dream of Jeannie.\"
All of these were released around the times their respective shows were on in prime time.  There are lots of other examples, too, like Sarah Vaughan's recording of the \"Mr. Lucky\" theme...

tvrandywest

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2003, 10:49:34 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jun 25 2003, 08:07 PM\']
  • I Love Lucy
  • Bewitched
  • I Dream of Jeannie
  • Hawaii Five-O
  • The Flying Nun
There are too many too name here.[/quote]
Yes, way too many. But I'll add one I'm particularly proud of having learned about.

After a fascinating conversation with the Oscar winning songwriting team Livingston-Evans (hundreds of compositions - everything from Doris Day's \"Buttons and Bows\" to the \"Mr. Ed\" theme!) Ray Evans mailed me an autographed copy of their original lyrics to.... TV's BONANZA theme! He writes: \"You are now one of the few people of the world to know that there are lyrics to BONANZA, and what they are.\" Did anyone know about this one? I sure didn't. It starts:

\"We got a right to pick a little fight,
Bonanza!
If anyone fights anyone of us
He's gotta fight with me.\"

Randy
tvrandywest.com

Matt Ottinger

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 11:01:30 AM »
What a wonderful thread!

Steve's right, of course, the Star Trek theme does have lyrics.  One of my favorite recent discoveries was that the original Dick Van Dyke show theme had lyrics.  Good ones, too, written by game show favorite Morey Amsterdam.  They sang the song (a couple of times, actually) on the TV Land Awards a while back.

Swinging interestingly back on topic, several of you have a copy of a CD I compiled that I called \"There Were Words To That?\".  It's a collection of game show themes that you wouldn't necessarily think of as having lyrics.  Some were obvious, even to non-game show fans (\"The Start of Something Big\", \"Hooray for Captain Spaulding\") but some were pretty obscure.  A Chuck Barris single called \"Lovee\" is the theme to The Gong Show and -- my personal favorite -- it turns out that the well-known Newlywed Game theme was originally a pop song Chuckie Baby wrote called \"Summertime Guy\".
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Casey

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 11:04:44 AM »
Just to follow up a little on what Randy West offered with Bonanza:

I learned this year about the lyrics, after watching a Season One episode of Cheers.  One of the bar patrons bragged that he knew all the lyrics to the Bonanza theme and proceeded to sing it, just as Randy stated.  Rather interesting. :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2003, 11:23:00 AM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 08:04 AM\'] I learned this year about the lyrics, after watching a Season One episode of Cheers.  One of the bar patrons bragged that he knew all the lyrics to the Bonanza theme and proceeded to sing it, just as Randy stated.  Rather interesting. :)

[/quote]
 I was TRYING to remember where I had heard it before. That was it!

\"Hooray for Captain Spaulding\"

I think I remember seeing an episode of You Bet Your Life where Groucho actually performed \"Hooray For Captain Spauling\", with full lyrics.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

GS Warehouse

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2003, 12:29:54 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 10:04 AM\'] I learned this year about the lyrics, after watching a Season One episode of Cheers.  One of the bar patrons bragged that he knew all the lyrics to the Bonanza theme and proceeded to sing it, just as Randy stated.  Rather interesting. :) [/quote]
 On a similar tangent, the existence of lyrics to the Hawaii Five-O theme were confirmed on a classic SNL, when Bill Murray as Nick the Lounge Singer crooned \"When you're feeling lonely, you can come with meeeeeeee...\".

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2003, 12:43:37 PM »
Among them:

I Love Lucy

Bewitched

I Dream of Jeannie

Hawaii Five-O

The Flying Nun

Now, this begs a question.  I Dream of Jeannie has two themes -- one for the first season, and one for seasons 2-5.  Which one has lyrics?

Also, I remember now that we sang I Love Lucy's theme at that concert, too.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2003, 12:45:22 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

Mike Tennant

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2003, 01:24:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Jun 26 2003, 11:43 AM\']Now, this begs a question.  I Dream of Jeannie has two themes -- one for the first season, and one for seasons 2-5.  Which one has lyrics?[/quote]
I believe they both do.  Gerry Goffin and Carole King wrote the first one, which seems to imply that there were lyrics, though I haven't been able to find them anywhere.  I can, however, direct you to Buddy Kaye's lyrics for the more familiar Hugo Montenegro composition.  If someone could oblige by explaining what \"We're close as a quarter after three\" means, I'd appreciate it!

http://www.geocities.com/tvshowthemelyrics...eannieSong.html

MyronMMeyer

TPIR Cliffhangers music:
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2003, 02:10:10 PM »
I memorized the Hogans Heroes lyrics in elementary school just for the hell of it.  Still remember 'em too:

Heroes, heroes, husky men of war,
Sons of all the heroes of the war before. etc.

The books you want for this are John Javna's TV Theme Song Singalong Song Book, Volumes 1 and 2.  These books will make you king of the trivia.

If Rhino Records hasn't done this compilation, they should.  Lyrical versions of instrumental theme songs.  I'd buy it.

-Myron