Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR taping on 11/6 (No spoilers please)  (Read 1866 times)

Terry K

TPIR taping on 11/6 (No spoilers please)
« on: November 08, 2003, 04:22:38 AM »
I don't mean to sound morbid or disrespectful, but I'm very curious about the mood of the taping on 11/6 (the first one after Rod's passing).

I'm not looking for spoilers (I do NOT want to know what was played, who won what), but what I *am* looking for is the overall mood.

Did Bob have anything to say to the audience, was it somber, etc..

I'm also wondering if Randy would care to share the general mood of the staff and so on.

tvrandywest

TPIR taping on 11/6 (No spoilers please)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 06:09:05 AM »
Rod had many, many friends at "Price" and there was discussion of his passing early in the day among many staffers. Most folks at the show had been talking about his strength and fighting spirit for a long time now. But as Rod has been terminally ill for many, many months his actual passing was not at all a surprise, and there wasn't much to say that hadn't already been expressed in many conversations.

During a commercial break an audience member did ask Bob about Rod's passing, and Bob was positively eloquent in expressing the staff's and crew's sadness, Rod's fight and good spirits whenever on the set, and the laughs Bob shared with Rod when they last saw each other in the hospital.

The birthday show that taped that day was the most intricate of any TPIR episode I've ever seen, and required many hours of rehearsal to prepare to pull it off in real time for the audience. As a wonderfully professional team, the focus during most of the day was on staging the many special elements. As Rod would be first to say "The show must go on".

Rod will be missed for a long, long time among those who knew and worked with him.

Randy
tvrandywest
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com