Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pilot Light Relaunch #3  (Read 42971 times)

mmb5

Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »
After wrestling back my content from an uncooperative Wiki, I've relaunched the site.  No more Wiki.  Plus 5 new pilot reviews!  And much more to come soon, now that free time has come back into my life after a six month hiatus.

http://www.usgameshows.net

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Vahan_Nisanian

Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 10:34:33 PM »
I noticed that one of the new pilots you have up there is Spin-Off, which is not to be confused with the 1975 Jim Lange game show of the same name.

Speaking of the 1975 Spin-Off Mike, do you have any solid evidence, valid arguments, and valid points to prove that the tapes for that show have not been converted to a current tape format at all?

/Sorry if I come off as a broken record.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 11:20:40 PM »
The stuff on American "Countdown" was great. I didn't follow from your article, though, how the scoring worked. What if one team had a 7 and 4 letter word, and the other team had two 6 letter words? Would the latter team get 12, because they had the higher total points? Or would team one get 11 because one team member had the longest word?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 12:52:37 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'232380\' date=\'Dec 15 2009, 11:20 PM\']The stuff on American "Countdown" was great. I didn't follow from your article, though, how the scoring worked. What if one team had a 7 and 4 letter word, and the other team had two 6 letter words? Would the latter team get 12, because they had the higher total points? Or would team one get 11 because one team member had the longest word?[/quote]
It wasn't like the British version.  Both teams received the total combined points for both their words.  Longest word didn't matter, except for simply having a point or two more than the other team.

/Yes, I got to watch a lot of them with Mike.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:53:08 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 01:05:07 AM »
And, even though I've read the pilot review a hundred times, I'm still incredibly thankful that Donnymid was not like the attempted pilot in 1996 or '97.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

ethanmx2

Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 01:16:17 AM »
Just read through some of the pilots... I'm amazed Countdown was attempted here way back when. Shocked it didn't get picked up. But, perhaps for the better, since the British version is way better than what I've read in the US pilot.

mmb5

Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 08:30:47 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowlover87\' post=\'232376\' date=\'Dec 15 2009, 10:34 PM\']Speaking of the 1975 Spin-Off Mike, do you have any solid evidence, valid arguments, and valid points to prove that the tapes for that show have not been converted to a current tape format at all?

/Sorry if I come off as a broken record.[/quote]
No.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 11:44:47 PM »
You still have a few stray leftover (and dead) links from the wiki software. Most of these seem to occur on CamelCased words such as ViewMaster and McGraw.

Other than that, a very interesting read as always. Nice to finally see new stuff.
Bobby Peacock

golden-road

Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 12:39:52 AM »
Question about the Countdown pilot: You said that the classic theme was retained, so I was wondering if the set was a copy of the original set, or a new one?

mmb5

Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 09:07:50 AM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'232486\' date=\'Dec 17 2009, 12:39 AM\']Question about the Countdown pilot: You said that the classic theme was retained, so I was wondering if the set was a copy of the original set, or a new one?[/quote]
Very different.  Players were on one side, host had no podium, the two word authorities were in their own space, and the letter board resembled the one on Caesar's Challenge.

--Mike

aaron sica

Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 09:37:51 AM »
Mike, I've read your descriptions for the MG90 pilots and I'm really intrigued...The most I ever saw was a clip from the pilot on one of the blooper specials..Any way any still pictures of the pilots can make their way to the page?

mmb5

Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 12:05:27 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'232493\' date=\'Dec 17 2009, 09:37 AM\']Mike, I've read your descriptions for the MG90 pilots and I'm really intrigued...The most I ever saw was a clip from the pilot on one of the blooper specials..Any way any still pictures of the pilots can make their way to the page?[/quote]
All I would be able to do is add stills from that clip, since that's all I have.  If it's a UCLA viewing (like MG90 was), I don't get to keep the media afterward.  Lord knows I tried to think of ways.

--Mike

Fedya

Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 12:13:15 PM »
If it's a UCLA viewing (like MG90 was), I don't get to keep the media afterward. Lord knows I tried to think of ways.
Point a cameraphone at the monitor.  ;-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

mmb5

Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »
Four more:

Top Secret
Second Honeymoon (unrelated to the eventual airing one)
Cosby's You Bet Your Life
Monopoly (the Summers run-through)

--Mike

dazztardly

Pilot Light Relaunch #3
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 02:45:09 AM »
Thank you, Mike :)

-Dan