Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: As The World Turns Cancelled  (Read 47273 times)

NickS

As The World Turns Cancelled
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 11:54:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'231905\' date=\'Dec 8 2009, 03:01 PM\']According to this NY Times blog, a network spokeman said that CBS will be programming the 2 PM hour, and that it won't go back to the affiliates.[/quote]

A) Thank you, Casey.

B) To fuel even more speculation:

[quote name=\'Bill Carter of the New York Times\']...Mr. Ender said, with the replacement likely to be either a game or talk show.[/quote]

Sure, they could have a talk show, but wouldn't that kill the possible flow that you'd have with three game shows?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 11:54:50 PM by TeppanYaki »

ten96lt

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2009, 11:00:20 AM »
To bring my two cents in. I think they should bring Pyramid as a half hour then bring back PYL which was one of my favorites. I couldn't stand Whammy because it took too much away from the old show. For one thing, where did they think of changing the layout of the board? What was wrong with just keeping it as a square? I wasn't a fan of Todd Newton hosting it. I just didn't think that show was a fit for him. Plus there were too many gimmicks on there with the key halves and such. I would only bring back BIG BANK if I were to incorporate some things. I think maybe if they keep the set design similar to the old one, maybe update where the contestants sit and update the color scheme to look more modern, it could be a great revival. Plus it'd bring in a nice mix of cash and prizes to keep the variety in unlike PIR which seems to be all trips these days. And it'd certainly bring in a lot of excitement because of the direct competition factor between the three players.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 11:03:04 AM by ten96lt »

SteveR

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2009, 05:40:40 PM »
If it's Pyramid, it would be interesting to see if they allow affiliates to flow all three game shows back-to-back-to-back.

Stations have the 10-or-3 option with LMaD. I wonder if they'd do a 9-or-2 for whatever's next.

I know many of the big-market stations like doing local news at 9, coming out of The Early Show.

BrandonFG

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2009, 05:43:58 PM »
Does ATWT air in one slot or another, the way GL did, or is it 2pm EST/1pm CST across the board? Would love to see a game show with a consistent slot, instead of one or the other...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'231991\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 05:43 PM\']Does ATWT air in one slot or another, the way GL did, or is it 2pm EST/1pm CST across the board? Would love to see a game show with a consistent slot, instead of one or the other...[/quote]
I'm pretty sure AtWT is near-universally at 2:00/1:00.

Guiding Light seems to have become a special case at some point -- the network was actually sending out three separate East Coast feeds for it by the end, at 9:00, 10:00, and 3:00.

byrd62

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2009, 05:46:58 PM »
Amazing that just a year ago, CBS had only 1 hour of game show and 3½ of soaps.  If CBS commissions a game show or two to replace As the World Turns next fall, it'll be 3 hrs. of games v. only 1½ of soaps.  And if that happens, it will be the first time since the mid-'70s that one of the original 3 networks will have more games than soaps in daytime.

Since "product placement opportunities" played a part in CBS choosing LMaD over Pyramid, then perhaps PYL would be worth bringing back.  And in response to the person who thought Todd Newton wasn't a good fit for the Whammy remake, I wonder if Ricki Lake would make a good PYL host, given that she hosted it on an episode of that Gameshow Marathon a few years ago, in primetime, on CBS.

For that matter, does anybody in here think Ricki ought to host whatever game show CBS would pick to replace ..World Turns?

In other words, "Go Ricki", or "Blow Ricki"?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:47:36 PM by byrd62 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2009, 05:51:11 PM »
[quote name=\'byrd62\' post=\'231993\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 02:46 PM\']I wonder if Ricki Lake would make a good PYL host, given that she hosted it on an episode of that Gameshow Marathon a few years ago, in primetime, on CBS.[/quote]
I can assure you that NOBODY but NOBODY who actualy SAW her doing that has any doubt in her mind as to whether she would be a good host.
For that matter, does anybody in here think Ricki ought to host whatever game show CBS would pick to replace ..World Turns?
No, hells no, Christ no, fark no, OMG no, no way, huh-uh, no.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

fishbulb

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2009, 06:48:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'231995\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 02:51 PM\'][quote name=\'byrd62\' post=\'231993\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 02:46 PM\']I wonder if Ricki Lake would make a good PYL host, given that she hosted it on an episode of that Gameshow Marathon a few years ago, in primetime, on CBS.[/quote]
I can assure you that NOBODY but NOBODY who actualy SAW her doing that has any doubt in her mind as to whether she would be a good host.
[/quote]
Don't mince words, Chris - tell us how you really feel.
Actually, though, I don't remember how the discussion went when Marathon aired, and I didn't think she did a remarkable job one way or the other.
Would anyone like to elaborate on why Ricki's performance was so bad?

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 06:53:50 PM »
[quote name=\'fishbulb\' post=\'231997\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 06:48 PM\']Would anyone like to elaborate on why Ricki's performance was so bad?[/quote]
From what I saw (every episode except Match Game), she was very loud. When I say loud, I mean she was screaming things that if she had been using her "inside voice", she would have no reason to scream.

Her hosting job reminded me of a little girl pretending to be a game show host.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

gamed121683

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 07:15:36 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'231995\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 05:51 PM\']
[/quote]

I think you left out BZZZZZZZZZZZ!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:15:50 PM by gamed121683 »

chad1m

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 07:22:39 PM »
Please, no Ricki. You can watch her host a round of Press Your Luck from GSM in 2006 and see why for yourself.

tyshaun1

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2009, 09:09:22 PM »
In short, she made Todd Newton look respectable. If I were to give a host a shot regardless of what show it was, I'd give first look to Mark Walberg.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 09:09:38 PM by tyshaun1 »

TimK2003

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2009, 10:04:52 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'232001\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 07:09 PM\']In short, she made Todd Newton look respectable. If I were to give a host a shot regardless of what show it was, I'd give first look to Mark Walberg.[/quote]

If he's still up for a hosting gig, I'd love to see Marc Summers give PYL a try.

ten96lt

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2009, 11:05:30 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'232004\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 09:04 PM\'][quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'232001\' date=\'Dec 9 2009, 07:09 PM\']In short, she made Todd Newton look respectable. If I were to give a host a shot regardless of what show it was, I'd give first look to Mark Walberg.[/quote]

If he's still up for a hosting gig, I'd love to see Marc Summers give PYL a try.
[/quote]
I think Mark Walberg would be a good fit. Marc I could picture doing the question round, I'm just trying to picture him during the big board. Ideally I'd like to make my first small screen hosting debut as host of PYL. :D

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2009, 02:46:24 AM »
I'd like to see Jim Peck.  He already has experience with the format.  (Hey, that's no more absurd than Marc Summers or Ricki Lake).
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.