Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New CBS game show pilot coming soon  (Read 6611 times)

zachhoran

New CBS game show pilot coming soon
« on: November 05, 2003, 09:50:21 PM »
As per TV Week and a post at rec.arts.tv, a pilot for a US version of the UK game show Liar will be shot for CBS early in 2004. DL Hughley of The Hughleys will host. It will resemble TTTT quite a bit, but with a team of six challengers, and with the audience playing the role of the celeb panelists. The audience wins a cash prize if they spot the real person, and if not, the "last liar standing" wins the money. Fremantle and Reveille Productions are the packagers. No word on whether it will air in daytime or primetime, my money is on the latter.

calliaume

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 10:05:46 PM »
Here's the article as it appears in The New York Times:

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - For its next true reality hit, CBS is betting on ``Liar,'' a U.S. adaptation of the BBC comedy game show, which producer-actor D.L. Hughley has come on board to host.

The network has given a pilot order for the half-hour project from FremantleMedia North America, whose Talkback subsidiary produces the original series, and Ben Silverman's Universal-based Reveille. The show is targeted for midseason.

``Liar'' pitches six contestants against an inquiring audience for a cash prize. All six players tell similar stories, but only one of them is conveying a real-life experience, while the other five are making it up. By asking questions, the audience has to weed out the fakes until they identify the person who is telling the truth.

If the audience guesses right, they share the money; if they don't, the player who fooled them takes home the cash.

`` 'Liar' is a 21st-century version of 'To Tell the Truth,''' said Silverman, who is executive producing with FremantleMedia North America entertainment president David Lyle. ``I find D.L. to be so funny. He has such high energy and natural talent that it feels like a perfect match of a great format and a great talent.''

As for CBS jumping on the idea, ``it's really an interesting move for CBS to be looking at a primetime structured comedy show,'' Lyle said. ``It's an innovative move for them, and we're glad to be part of it.''

The project marks the first producing collaboration between Silverman and FremantleMedia, the company he once represented as an agent. It's also Reveille's first pilot for CBS.

FremantleMedia most recently produced for CBS the summer reality series ``Cupid,'' while ``Liar'' reunites Hughley with the network where he co-starred in his first primetime series, the short-lived 1995 comedy ``Double Rush.''

``I am excited to be doing a show about the very thing at which I am an expert,'' Hughley said about the show.

``Liar'' debuted on BBC2 in August, and the format already has been sold to four international territories.

Hughley co-created, toplined and executive produced the ABC/UPN sitcom ``The Hughleys,'' now in syndication. He is on the big screen in the hit comedy ``Scary Movie 3'' and next co-stars in MGM's ``Soul Plane.''

Reveille's credits include NBC's ``The Restaurant'' and ``Coupling'' and upcoming ``The Office'' and ``Adrenaline X,'' both also for NBC.

In addition to its megahit ``American Idol,'' FremantleMedia's slate also includes the syndicated ``The Price Is Right'' and ``Family Feud'' and the upcoming ``Swan'' for Fox.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 10:21:24 PM »
'Liar' is a 21st-century version of 'To Tell the Truth,''' said Silverman, who is executive producing with FremantleMedia
You think it would have been described that way by any other production company?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rugrats1

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 10:21:47 PM »
No word on whether it will air in daytime or primetime, my money is on the latter.

It's very likely that it'll be a prime-time offering; I don't think CBS is willing to cancel a soap or take the 10AM or 4PM (ET) hours away from their affiliates.

LA the DJ

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 04:23:08 AM »
Oh yuck.  I pray this doesn't lead to a resurgence of panel shows...
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 07:13:58 AM »
Why do I have this feeling that most, if not all, of the Goodson formats will be tried eventually?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Mario500

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 10:58:22 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 5 2003, 09:50 PM\'] As per TV Week and a post at rec.arts.tv, a pilot for a US version of the UK game show Liar will be shot for CBS early in 2004. [/quote]
 Another UK-based show, another victim? (Millionaire and the Weakest Link were both UK-based shows)

-Mario500

calliaume

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 11:12:53 AM »
In addition to its megahit ``American Idol,'' FremantleMedia's slate also includes the syndicated ``The Price Is Right''

It just so happens that every station that carries the "syndicated" Price Is Right is a CBS affiliate or network O&O, I guess.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 11:22:21 AM »
This is for primetime, but I will predict (and this is a bold prediction) that CBS will someday get that 10am hour back.  NBC took the 9am hour from the affils a few years ago so it is not without precedent.  It all comes down to programming.  Would a CBS offering be better than what is out there in syndication?  The single issue talk shows are running out of steam and the "Ali and Jack" type shows don't ever seem to catch on.  I think station managers might be willing to take a second look at the network providing programming if it was worth their while in the form of local avails to sell.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2003, 11:55:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 6 2003, 11:22 AM\'] This is for primetime, but I will predict (and this is a bold prediction) that CBS will someday get that 10am hour back.  NBC took the 9am hour from the affils a few years ago so it is not without precedent.  It all comes down to programming.  Would a CBS offering be better than what is out there in syndication?  The single issue talk shows are running out of steam and the "Ali and Jack" type shows don't ever seem to catch on.  I think station managers might be willing to take a second look at the network providing programming if it was worth their while in the form of local avails to sell. [/quote]
 No.  Never.  God forbid.  If CBS has an active brain cell in its collective head, neither they nor NBC will EVER try to take back the !0 AM ET/ 9 AM Central hour back from the stations (ABC was smart--they never programmed anything at that hour from their inception except for an occasional holiday-related special).  If 100% clearance of ANY network daytime game show means anything to CBS or NBC, they'll stay out of that slot for the rest of their existence.

NBC's Snap Judgment and It Takes Two--bumped in Kansas City and Davenport Iowa.  CBS's The Joker's Wild, Spin-Off, G-T Double Dare, Pass The Buck, Tic Tac Dough, All-New Beat The Clock and other 9 AM entires--bumped in Des Moines and countless other markets, for everything from Happy Homemaker-type local shows to reruns to Donahue.  Just try asking a station whose "Regis & Kelly" ratings are still sky-high to give it up for network clearance these days.  Not a chance.  You can't convince some of these station managers to clear even a HIT show if their local crap in its place has a fierce-enough following:  Let's Make A Deal never played in Des Moines in daytime until the late-80s abortive NBC revival, and they were the last market in the *nation* to clear Days Of Our Lives--in 1984.  And for what?  Old movies at 12:30 PM.  WHERE were all those potential independent stations when we needed them to start sprouting up at least 20 years before they actually did???

I may miss the 1960s--but not enough to go back to eating my heart out over all the neighboring markets picking up a 9 AM network game show my local station forces me to do without.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

ChuckNet

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2003, 04:21:20 PM »
Let's Make A Deal never played in Des Moines in daytime until the late-80s abortive NBC revival, and they were the last market in the *nation* to clear Days Of Our Lives--in 1984. And for what? Old movies at 12:30 PM.

A similar scenario took place w/Providence, RI then-CBS affiliate WLNE (Ch. 6)...for awhile, they didn't carry Guiding Light so they could run a movie from 3-5 PM, which lasted until the early 90s.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

trainman

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 11:50:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 6 2003, 08:22 AM\'] NBC took the 9am hour from the affils a few years ago so it is not without precedent. [/quote]
 Yes, but they also gave back both the 11:00 A.M. and noon hours (or whenever the affiliates had been airing "Leeza" and "Sunset Beach") at around the same time.
trainman is a man of trains

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2003, 07:58:35 AM »
NBC "giving" the noon hour back to the affiliates is sort of a conceit, since any station worth its salt was already airing a noon news anyway, typically (at least in the East) at the expense of one game show or another.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GSWitch

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2003, 08:44:07 PM »
Face it, I'd love to see NBC & or CBS have another daytime game to keep Bob Barker company.  Since January 14, 1994 when Caesar's Challenge got canned, Bob Barker felt like the "Maytag Repairman".

However, local affiliates prefer their Martha Stewart, Regis & Kelly or worse, Jerry Springer!  

Back in 2000 when the prime time game show craze swept the networks, NBC had plans to revive Concentration in the mornings & debut it the day after the 2000 Sydney Olympics were done (which was October 2, my birthday).

But NOOOOOOOOOO!!!, NBC changed their minds & gave The Today Show a 3rd hour denying me a birthday present!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2003, 04:15:27 AM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Nov 7 2003, 06:44 PM\'] Back in 2000 when the prime time game show craze swept the networks, NBC had plans to revive Concentration in the mornings & debut it the day after the 2000 Sydney Olympics were done (which was October 2, my birthday). [/quote]
 Someone wanna corraborate this?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe