Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to Improve Wheel  (Read 11453 times)

brianhenke

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 12:05:44 AM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'229519\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 10:34 PM\'][quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'229503\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 05:02 PM\'][quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'229493\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 02:15 PM\']Merv originally envisioned the set of Wheel, in his own words, as "A stage full of prizes."[/quote]
This may be heresy, but the shopping for prizes--while incredibly charming--never seemed central to the game. Any show giving away varying amounts of cash could theoretically make you buy prizes with the cash before you leave. On "Sale of the Century," on the other hand, buying stuff was actually fundamental to the game.
[/quote]
Naw, not remotely heresy, at least in my book. Your summary on it matches my opinion pretty well too. It was cute, it did provide the variety I liked, but the show was ultimately better without it, in my view. It wasn't like the show didn't had a wide range of other fabulous merchandise on it the next ten years though... :)

I recall way back when the $5000 space first appeared and it was exciting to see someone call a letter that popped up more than once. Returning champions gave us someone to root for or against, and now that players are uniformly (and insincerely) enthusiastic, there's no way for any to stand out.

Games do best when there's a chance something out of the ordinary might happen, and "Wheel" has distilled that away.
Lack of returning champs are number 2 on my mental WOF complaint list, and you hit one of the big reasons why. Ken Jennings run wasn't exciting because it was just Jeopardy, or because he had the most incredible personality in the world (sometimes, quite the contrary), it was exciting because of his ongoing establishment and his great run of skill/luck/knowledge/*oh my* Fortune. The same could apply to just about any well-crafted game show with such a rule in place. Distilled is a rather good way of describing things at this point.

I agree to a point- the Prize Puzzles/Prize Wedges/Mystery Round prizes could be more varied, and I don't think they should have gotten rid of the cars in the Bonus Round, but sometimes being comfortable is a good thing as people know what to expect, and it's not like they don't tweak it any at all (the Million Dollar Wedge was the best thing to happen to the show in YEARS).

The big moment will be when Pat and/or Vanna decide to call it a day- which will be sooner rather than later-I'd suspect they might make a major overhaul then (maybe make it look more like some of the modern European versions set-wise).

Just remember back to TPIR circa 2007. I'm not sure how crazy they'll get (also depends if Friedman is still kicking on there then), but if they do too much, that ole alienation factor could come up. I just hope Sony/CBSTVDist spend more time in finding their replacements then was done on TPIR. Pat and Vanna's contracts, IIRC, go through 2014, so I'm waiting to hear an interesting announcement from them both around that time. It will all be interesting, nonetheless. I have to say though, there are a lot of arrows pointing towards much of the success of that show being because of Sajak, in particular, so if that's especially the case, the gang better have their act together when he decides the give the show the wave.

However, again, I could be very wrong. I was very vocal of my non-support for the MDW when it was first announced. And while my approach on including a $1kk top prize on the show, IF I was told I absolutely had to, would have been inherently different, I can't argue against the great buzz and publicity its inclusion brought the show these past two years, along with the bit of ratings spike the show has also had thereafter. So I had a tiny bit of crow come my way, won't be the last time, but hopefully it won't become a trend.
[/quote]

I would like to see more variety in the Prize Puzzles.  Let's say a Prize Puzzle is BUILDING A NEW LAWN DECK, and Pat says, "You won a gift card", then Charlie says that the contestant has won a $5,000 gift card from Lowe's.

Brian
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 01:22:18 AM by brianhenke »
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 12:51:41 AM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' post=\'229526\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 11:05 PM\']I would like to see more variety in the Prize Puzzles.  Let's say a Prize Puzzle is BUILDING A NEW LAWN DECK, and Pat says, "You won a gift card", then Charlie says that the contestant has won a $5.000 gift card from Lowe's.[/quote]I don't think that even buys a bottle of Coke. :)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 12:58:29 AM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' post=\'229526\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 09:05 PM\']I would like to see more variety in the Prize Puzzles.  Let's say a Prize Puzzle is BUILDING A NEW LAWN DECK,[/quote]No, let's not. Really. A huge turn-off for me has been the "coined" puzzles that aren't anything. If I was in charge, I would slash and burn the category roll. Variations on Person (which does NOT always mean proper name), Place, Thing, Phrase are acceptable. What Are You Doing?, Around the House et al are SO gone.

and Pat says, "You won a gift card", then Charlie says that the contestant has won a $5.000 gift card from Lowe's.
How is this even interesting? What the hell am I going to do with five grand at Lowe's?
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 01:25:27 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'229529\' date=\'Oct 31 2009, 12:58 AM\']How is this even interesting? What the hell am I going to do with five grand at Lowe's?[/quote]

Buy materials to build your own GS set in the basement? I think that's what most cable game shows do. And they still have $4750 left over afterward!

In all seriousness, I can understand why they don't do it, but I would also love to see more variety in the prize puzzles. Prize puzzles grate on me since they're all some convoluted variation on "I got my toes in the water, ass in the sand", invaribly leading to a tropical vacation. Once in a blue moon you might see some variation on "Damn, is it cold up here, eh?" leading to a Canadian trip, but that's all the variety you get in Prize Puzzle land. Looking through old recaps, I've found that they once offered more than just trips in Prize Puzzles (one was GIZMOS AND GADGETS, leading to a Sony® branded Sony® electronics package courtesy of Sony®). At the very least, go back to having Prize Puzzles only once or twice a week, so the beach bum puzzles are fewer and farther between.
Bobby Peacock

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 01:29:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'229533\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 10:25 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'229529\' date=\'Oct 31 2009, 12:58 AM\']How is this even interesting? What the hell am I going to do with five grand at Lowe's?[/quote]

Buy materials to build your own GS set in the basement? [/quote] The gal that lives in the condo beneath me would like a word with you...
Travis L. Eberle

Twentington

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 02:21:10 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'229534\' date=\'Oct 31 2009, 01:29 AM\'][quote name=\'Twentington\' post=\'229533\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 10:25 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'229529\' date=\'Oct 31 2009, 12:58 AM\']How is this even interesting? What the hell am I going to do with five grand at Lowe's?[/quote]

Buy materials to build your own GS set in the basement? [/quote] The gal that lives in the condo beneath me would like a word with you...
[/quote]

Aw hell, do it anyway. Maybe she'll become a convert.
Bobby Peacock

ten96lt

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2009, 05:24:38 AM »
I could see why though they're more cash oriented. When watching TPIR, some of the prizes I see I'd be saying "wow I'll keep" if I won, but most of the time it'd be "would I be able to sell this on eBay to pay the taxes and get some money." Where cash you don't have to worry about and most trips people will take anyway.

Fedya

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2009, 09:25:31 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'229529\' date=\'Oct 31 2009, 12:58 AM\'][quote name=\'brianhenke\' post=\'229526\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 09:05 PM\']I would like to see more variety in the Prize Puzzles.  Let's say a Prize Puzzle is BUILDING A NEW LAWN DECK,[/quote]No, let's not. Really. A huge turn-off for me has been the "coined" puzzles that aren't anything. If I was in charge, I would slash and burn the category roll. Variations on Person (which does NOT always mean proper name), Place, Thing, Phrase are acceptable. What Are You Doing?, Around the House et al are SO gone. [/quote]
In the past, BUILDING A NEW LAWN DECK would have shown up under the "Event" category, along with a bunch of other things you might do that aren't really events.

(I would have wanted to set an April Fool's Day "Event" puzzle of TAKING A LONG SATISFYING DUMP or somesuch.)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Clay Zambo

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2009, 10:39:53 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'229476\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 12:13 PM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'229472\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 11:12 AM\']Bring back the ceramic dalmatian.[/quote]
Already planned.  High five!
[/quote]

Sheldon?  His name is SHELDON?  Huh.  Never woulda guessed that.

Nice to see he'll be back, though.
czambo@mac.com

Twentington

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 10:57:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'229538\' date=\'Oct 31 2009, 09:25 AM\']In the past, BUILDING A NEW LAWN DECK would have shown up under the "Event" category, along with a bunch of other things you might do that aren't really events.

(I would have wanted to set an April Fool's Day "Event" puzzle of TAKING A LONG SATISFYING DUMP or somesuch.)[/quote]

That would still work under the What Are You Doing? category.
Bobby Peacock

tpirfan28

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2009, 11:13:54 AM »
Ditch two of the tossups...the first and the third.  Interview the contestants left to right, play a $2000 tossup for control and start spinning.  Might actually get more wheel spinning during the show, and not have round 4 start speedup all the time.

The wheel itself: I'd add a $2500 space in round 3 for wheel balance, bring back the free spin *space* (but you'd still have to call a letter to get it, but the space stays on the wheel all the time).

Prize variety in the bonus round.  Yeah, cash is nice, but how about some really glamorous trips?  TPIR/LMAD has been offering some really upscale trips recently...why can't Wheel?  Bring back the cars too.  Keep the million - didn't like it initially, but the chrome is fine.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'229529\' date=\'Oct 31 2009, 12:58 AM\']If I was in charge, I would slash and burn the category roll. Variations on Person (which does NOT always mean proper name), Place, Thing, Phrase are acceptable. What Are You Doing?, Around the House et al are SO gone.[/quote]Person/People, Proper Name(s), Place, Thing(s), Phrase.  That's it.  I'm all for it.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Matt Ottinger

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2009, 11:31:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'229540\' date=\'Oct 31 2009, 10:39 AM\']Sheldon?  His name is SHELDON?  Huh.  Never woulda guessed that.[/quote]
I think that's a fairly recent development.  Seems like there was a contest.

There's also a lot about Sheldon's "bio" that doesn't exactly ring true.  I certainly don't remember anybody going straight to the ceramic dalmatian before buying more valuable prizes.  Also, "the staff named Sheldon in honor of the man who ran the kennel where Sheldon was born"?  Excuse me?  Sheldon is an inorganic, non-metallic solid prepared by the action of heat and subsequent cooling.  (Thank you, Wikipedia.)
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2009, 11:43:27 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'229544\' date=\'Oct 31 2009, 11:13 AM\']and not have round 4 start speedup all the time.[/quote]
More often than not, it doesn't.  When they're on location, have paired contestants or have to spiel for a long amount of time, that's when R4 starts in speed-up.
This signature is currently under construction.

MikeK

• Martha!
How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 11:54:16 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'229529\' date=\'Oct 31 2009, 12:58 AM\']
and Pat says, "You won a gift card", then Charlie says that the contestant has won a $5.000 gift card from Lowe's.
How is this even interesting? What the hell am I going to do with five grand at Lowe's?[/quote]
Buy a snowthrower, buy a new shower stall, get a power washer, fill the garage with power tools and lawn care equipment...  I could easily drop $3000 right now at Lowe's.  $5000, though, is a bit much for me.

/So says the person who has owned a house for two months.
//My, spending other people's $5000 Lowe's gift cards is fun!

Twentington

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 12:45:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'229546\' date=\'Oct 31 2009, 11:43 AM\'][quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'229544\' date=\'Oct 31 2009, 11:13 AM\']and not have round 4 start speedup all the time.[/quote]
More often than not, it doesn't.  When they're on location, have paired contestants or have to spiel for a long amount of time, that's when R4 starts in speed-up.
[/quote]

Agreed. In the past few weeks, they've had at least two games where they played two full rounds and at a speed-up, and several more where R4 was played in full. I don't think they've started R4 as a speedup at all in the past couple weeks. Granted, there have been some fairly sharp players this month.

I can understand why they go to speed-up every day. It crams in another puzzle if R4 (or R5, if they're really zipping through them) was played in full, and it gives an extra chance at shelling out $6K a letter. Not that I'm a big fan of Mo'Money (is he 5K's cousin?), but I digress.

But is it really necessary to go to speed-up when you have PEPPERO_I PIZZA on the board? Just play it out and don't do a speed-up. Even if someone is dense enough not to call the N (and Lord knows they do occasionally get contestants that dense), or if they have the misfortune (no pun intended) of hitting two or three Bankrupts/Lose a Turns in a row, it'd still take less time than all the speed-up preparation.
Bobby Peacock