Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How to Improve Wheel  (Read 11455 times)

Fladam

How to Improve Wheel
« on: October 30, 2009, 12:06:28 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I love wheel.  One of the things I love most is how they seem to introduce new game elements without distracting from the true essence of the show.

That being said, I'm curious how others would try to improve Wheel more.  I've always thought the toss-up rounds would be better if they were worth the same amount each time.  Even better, I think they should start out with a "time bank" that would reduce for every letter shown.

Anyone else have some one-off ideas that would add a twist to Wheel of Fortune?

Clay Zambo

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »
Bring back the ceramic dalmatian.  Or, better still, have the Ceramic Dalmatians be the house band.
czambo@mac.com

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 11:42:23 AM »
IMO, while each new element by itself doesn't detract from the game that much, the sum of so many gimmicks detracts from the game and show so much.

For me, there isn't just any one thing that would make Wheel watchable again.  For that, they would have to turn back the clock to 1977ish (daytime) or 1990ish (nighttime).
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 12:13:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'229472\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 11:12 AM\']Bring back the ceramic dalmatian.[/quote]
Already planned.  High five!
This signature is currently under construction.

TimK2003

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 01:18:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony Peters\' post=\'229474\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 11:42 AM\']For me, there isn't just any one thing that would make Wheel watchable again.  For that, they would have to turn back the clock to 1977ish (daytime) or 1990ish (nighttime).[/quote]

Agreed...

This is one game that IMHO has been "mastered" (much like how someone can "master" a pinball machine or video game) -- when there's little challenge left, it's not worth playing (or watching) anymore.

Back in the early NBC games, contestants were all over the letter board picking letters, and not saving the multiple letters for higher dollar spins.  Nowadays, if you don't know that L-N-R-S-T are the first five consonants you pick in any round, it seems that the contestant coordinators will make sure you know before you can play.

You may think that there weren't many tweaks that have distracted from the original concept of Wheel, but Wheel '09 is a far cry from Wheel '7x, because there ARE too many other distractions.

JayDLewis

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 02:13:27 PM »
Get rid of the wheel.

/Amidoinitrite?
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Matt Ottinger

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 02:23:32 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'229489\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 02:13 PM\']/Amidoinitrite?[/quote]
No.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

wheelloon

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 03:15:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Tony Peters\' post=\'229474\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 11:42 AM\']IMO, while each new element by itself doesn't detract from the game that much, the sum of so many gimmicks detracts from the game and show so much.[/quote]
THIS!

*Rant coming, my apologies, all my personal humble opinion, as always, if you risk reading on.*

My major problem, as I've concluded over the past few years, however, I finally conclude can be summed up in one phrase: "Lack of Variety."

What!? With so many gimmicks it has now? Uh huh...

So let's look at the at the 70's through... erm... around 95 Wheel and compare some aspects to today. Again, as said before, just one of these things isn't overtly noticeable, but the whole is the sum of the parts, correct? As sayings go, it's the little things in life that'll be your biggest problems...

1. The Wheel's layout changed a bit from round to round, compared to a single layout for today.
[indent]1b. There were more non-TDV's used, i.e. 250, 750, 1500, (and 175 for Mr. Raygor), like 15 different ones on a regular basis, now only about 10 (and many used only once). How unnecessarily repetitive. [/indent]2. Contestants were chosen who could not only play the game but still also had varying personalities and interests. We're lucky for just one of the two these days.
3. Puzzles had more variety, in terms of subjects they addressed (from somewhat intellectual to pop culture to around the house-ish), as opposed to now where I can't remember the last time Title/Author, Clue, Next Line Please, or the like were used, and at least one puzzle every show, as is joked about often, is some form of "White sandy beach" and offers up a vacation.
4. The show had theme weeks, but the set changed moreso then compared to today (and didn't follow a minimalist interpretation... ever), partly because of more set pieces from then (and the existence of a thought process that a set/theme change takes more than a background change on your monitors), but also...
5. The show had a massive variety of stuff to give away, aka PRIZES. Outside of changing the theme every week, the prizes were changed out every week, giving the show that much more external variety than otherwise.

Merv originally envisioned the set of Wheel, in his own words, as "A stage full of prizes." It had glamour: outrageous pieces of jewelry, gallery-worthy art, vacations of a lifetime (or two), the biggest dream cars (Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, and Corvettes, remember?) etc. Now what do we have? Solely run of the mill vacations, some better than others (not that I wouldn't take just about any of them), but peanuts compared to some of those trips they used to offer ($30k 2 week Oriental cruises, $25k Australian/New Zealand getaways, just a couple off the top of my head), and absolutely... nothing else... No cars, no jewelry, not even any damn Sony electronics which seem like obvious crossover marketing strategies, and stuff I'm certain most any contestant would just as willingly take as a trip to X, Y, or Z. The argument that the show should also give away prizes contestants want also falls flat here, because the show (as has been argued here umpteen times) is meant to entertain viewers, earn money, and get ratings, not give away precisely what each contestant has always wanted. If that were the case, TPIR would've been sunk by the time Woolery left... *ahem*.

Cash is easier to work with, no argument here, but the show is one step away from giving away nothing but such, which takes away any sort of glimmer of glamour and/or surprise (and thus variety) the show once had associated with such. The show was marketed as being a glamorous show, something which is comparatively rare in the TV market from what I've ever seen. It can't be advertised as such anymore I'd say. Modern: yes. Simple: mostly yes. Exciting: at times yes. But, Repetitive: yes.

Predictability and Repetitiveness in TV=bad, we know well. Wheel has become both, greatly in part because it has lost so much of the variety it once had. The basic game itself doesn't provide the genre's greatest variety, I'll be the first to admit (there are only 26 letters in English, you do the math), but it was the show's approach and inherent style during those years that gave it the variety and feel it was at least somewhat popular for. Give a show some variety, you make the show unpredictable again, you make the show surprising again, you make the show lively again, you give the show a new lease on life. This is, IMHO, what Wheel needs to get back now.

Would any of this help Wheel's ratings and/or bottom line? 50/50 maybe at best, I don't have a crystal ball, so I couldn't say either way, but from a loyal fan's view, and the views of a few Joe Schmo's he's discussed the show with before, this would not even remotely make things worse. You could do a lot worse in TV Land...

*Rant concluded, back to lurking, fanboiz mode turned back off.*
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Mr. Armadillo

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 03:54:02 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'229484\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 12:18 PM\']and not saving the multiple letters for higher dollar spins.[/quote]
Are you saying that people do this today?  Nowadays, you're more likely to get someone who already knows the puzzle to take one (more) spin, call a letter that appears once, and then solve while a letter that appears 2-3 times is ignored.

weaklink75

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 04:09:41 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'229493\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 03:15 PM\'][quote name=\'Tony Peters\' post=\'229474\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 11:42 AM\']IMO, while each new element by itself doesn't detract from the game that much, the sum of so many gimmicks detracts from the game and show so much.[/quote]
THIS!

*Rant coming, my apologies, all my personal humble opinion, as always, if you risk reading on.*

My major problem, as I've concluded over the past few years, however, I finally conclude can be summed up in one phrase: "Lack of Variety."

What!? With so many gimmicks it has now? Uh huh...

So let's look at the at the 70's through... erm... around 95 Wheel and compare some aspects to today. Again, as said before, just one of these things isn't overtly noticeable, but the whole is the sum of the parts, correct? As sayings go, it's the little things in life that'll be your biggest problems...

1. The Wheel's layout changed a bit from round to round, compared to a single layout for today.
[indent]1b. There were more non-TDV's used, i.e. 250, 750, 1500, (and 175 for Mr. Raygor), like 15 different ones on a regular basis, now only about 10 (and many used only once). How unnecessarily repetitive. [/indent]2. Contestants were chosen who could not only play the game but still also had varying personalities and interests. We're lucky for just one of the two these days.
3. Puzzles had more variety, in terms of subjects they addressed (from somewhat intellectual to pop culture to around the house-ish), as opposed to now where I can't remember the last time Title/Author, Clue, Next Line Please, or the like were used, and at least one puzzle every show, as is joked about often, is some form of "White sandy beach" and offers up a vacation.
4. The show had theme weeks, but the set changed moreso then compared to today (and didn't follow a minimalist interpretation... ever), partly because of more set pieces from then (and the existence of a thought process that a set/theme change takes more than a background change on your monitors), but also...
5. The show had a massive variety of stuff to give away, aka PRIZES. Outside of changing the theme every week, the prizes were changed out every week, giving the show that much more external variety than otherwise.

Merv originally envisioned the set of Wheel, in his own words, as "A stage full of prizes." It had glamour: outrageous pieces of jewelry, gallery-worthy art, vacations of a lifetime (or two), the biggest dream cars (Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, and Corvettes, remember?) etc. Now what do we have? Solely run of the mill vacations, some better than others (not that I wouldn't take just about any of them), but peanuts compared to some of those trips they used to offer ($30k 2 week Oriental cruises, $25k Australian/New Zealand getaways, just a couple off the top of my head), and absolutely... nothing else... No cars, no jewelry, not even any damn Sony electronics which seem like obvious crossover marketing strategies, and stuff I'm certain most any contestant would just as willingly take as a trip to X, Y, or Z. The argument that the show should also give away prizes contestants want also falls flat here, because the show (as has been argued here umpteen times) is meant to entertain viewers, earn money, and get ratings, not give away precisely what each contestant has always wanted. If that were the case, TPIR would've been sunk by the time Woolery left... *ahem*.

Cash is easier to work with, no argument here, but the show is one step away from giving away nothing but such, which takes away any sort of glimmer of glamour and/or surprise (and thus variety) the show once had associated with such. The show was marketed as being a glamorous show, something which is comparatively rare in the TV market from what I've ever seen. It can't be advertised as such anymore I'd say. Modern: yes. Simple: mostly yes. Exciting: at times yes. But, Repetitive: yes.

Predictability and Repetitiveness in TV=bad, we know well. Wheel has become both, greatly in part because it has lost so much of the variety it once had. The basic game itself doesn't provide the genre's greatest variety, I'll be the first to admit (there are only 26 letters in English, you do the math), but it was the show's approach and inherent style during those years that gave it the variety and feel it was at least somewhat popular for. Give a show some variety, you make the show unpredictable again, you make the show surprising again, you make the show lively again, you give the show a new lease on life. This is, IMHO, what Wheel needs to get back now.

Would any of this help Wheel's ratings and/or bottom line? 50/50 maybe at best, I don't have a crystal ball, so I couldn't say either way, but from a loyal fan's view, and the views of a few Joe Schmo's he's discussed the show with before, this would not even remotely make things worse. You could do a lot worse in TV Land...

*Rant concluded, back to lurking, fanboiz mode turned back off.*
[/quote]

I agree to a point- the Prize Puzzles/Prize Wedges/Mystery Round prizes could be more varied, and I don't think they should have gotten rid of the cars in the Bonus Round, but sometimes being comfortable is a good thing as people know what to expect, and it's not like they don't tweak it any at all (the Million Dollar Wedge was the best thing to happen to the show in YEARS).

The big moment will be when Pat and/or Vanna decide to call it a day- which will be sooner rather than later-I'd suspect they might make a major overhaul then (maybe make it look more like some of the modern European versions set-wise).

/You know who would be a good replacement for Vanna? Joanna Krupa...You'd only have to change one letter and add another on the dressing room door...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 04:12:47 PM by weaklink75 »

TimK2003

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 04:46:22 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'229493\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 03:15 PM\']5. The show had a massive variety of stuff to give away, aka PRIZES.
<snip>
Merv originally envisioned the set of Wheel, in his own words, as "A stage full of prizes." It had glamour: outrageous pieces of jewelry, gallery-worthy art, vacations of a lifetime (or two), the biggest dream cars (Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, and Corvettes, remember?) etc. Now what do we have? Solely run of the mill vacations, some better than others (not that I wouldn't take just about any of them), but peanuts compared to some of those trips they used to offer ($30k 2 week Oriental cruises, $25k Australian/New Zealand getaways, just a couple off the top of my head), and absolutely... nothing else...[/quote]

Remember the days when the phrase, "Look at this studio, filled with glamorous prizes" actually meant something?  Now the best you can say is, "Look at this studio, filled with eleventy godzillion colors of light".

Not to mention that in the shopping days, trip prizes would vary from weekend trips to nearby cities (Ojai, Palm Springs, San Diego) to not-the-first-place-I'd-think-of-for-a-game-show-trips (Wisconsin Dells, WI, Asheville, NC*, Calgary, AB,...) to the aforementioned luxury trips.

* -- The Asheville, NC trip was interesting in that the accommodations were at a motor inn (The Downtowner Motor Inn in Downtown Asheville) that, even at that time, was not exactly the "best" hotel in town...I stayed there in 1977, and the neighborhood was starting to get seedy back then.

Neumms

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 05:02:17 PM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'229493\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 02:15 PM\']Merv originally envisioned the set of Wheel, in his own words, as "A stage full of prizes."[/quote]

This may be heresy, but the shopping for prizes--while incredibly charming--never seemed central to the game. Any show giving away varying amounts of cash could theoretically make you buy prizes with the cash before you leave. On "Sale of the Century," on the other hand, buying stuff was actually fundamental to the game.

I recall way back when the $5000 space first appeared and it was exciting to see someone call a letter that popped up more than once. Now there's no unpredictability. Players don't keep spinning once they know the solution. Prizes include $1000 worth of crap on a gift card, rather than $700 a letter. Returning champions gave us someone to root for or against, and now that players are uniformly (and insincerely) enthusiastic, there's no way for any to stand out.

Games do best when there's a chance something out of the ordinary might happen, and "Wheel" has distilled that away.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 05:02:44 PM by Neumms »

tvrandywest

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 05:59:47 PM »
It's too..... round.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 10:03:04 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'229506\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 05:59 PM\']It's too..... round.[/quote]

Well played. I'm guessing you're not gunning to take over when Charlie O' retires in 2015. (But who will?)

I agree that Wheel has a great deal of detritus right now, but the essence is still there: Hangman with a wheel. Get money if you call a letter that's up there. Solve the puzzle. Lose the Wild Card to a Bankrupt only two spins after you get it (I swear, this happens about 75% of the time whenever someone nabs a Wild Card!). Get royally screwed when they give you a nigh-impossible bonus puzzle JURY BOX or OAK BUREAU as a bonus puzzle. Listen to Pat make sarcastic jabs at his own career. Dressed-up as it is, it's still Wheel of Fortune.

Not that modern-day Wheel is perfect. I would start by adding a couple more four-digit figures on the Wheel — not for the sake of throwing Mo' Money™ to the contesti, but for the sake of adding an easier way to catch up in case some yutz manages to nab a $2500 S in the puzzle SHE SELLS SEASHELLS BY THE SEASHORE. Even a solitary T at, say, $1750 can mean a world of difference if someone gets a metric buttload of cash early in the game.

I wouldn't mind seeing more than just trips and lots of $$$ offered, but at the same time I understand why they no longer offer anything else. Cars, jewelry, electronics, etc. can all be a huge tax burden. If you win a large prize but only a small amount of cash, you'll probably burn up your (already heavily-taxed) winnings just paying for the insurance on even that nearly featureless $15,000 car, won't you?
Bobby Peacock

wheelloon

How to Improve Wheel
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 10:34:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'229503\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 05:02 PM\'][quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'229493\' date=\'Oct 30 2009, 02:15 PM\']Merv originally envisioned the set of Wheel, in his own words, as "A stage full of prizes."[/quote]
This may be heresy, but the shopping for prizes--while incredibly charming--never seemed central to the game. Any show giving away varying amounts of cash could theoretically make you buy prizes with the cash before you leave. On "Sale of the Century," on the other hand, buying stuff was actually fundamental to the game.
[/quote]
Naw, not remotely heresy, at least in my book. Your summary on it matches my opinion pretty well too. It was cute, it did provide the variety I liked, but the show was ultimately better without it, in my view. It wasn't like the show didn't had a wide range of other fabulous merchandise on it the next ten years though... :)

I recall way back when the $5000 space first appeared and it was exciting to see someone call a letter that popped up more than once. Returning champions gave us someone to root for or against, and now that players are uniformly (and insincerely) enthusiastic, there's no way for any to stand out.

Games do best when there's a chance something out of the ordinary might happen, and "Wheel" has distilled that away.
Lack of returning champs are number 2 on my mental WOF complaint list, and you hit one of the big reasons why. Ken Jennings run wasn't exciting because it was just Jeopardy, or because he had the most incredible personality in the world (sometimes, quite the contrary), it was exciting because of his ongoing establishment and his great run of skill/luck/knowledge/*oh my* Fortune. The same could apply to just about any well-crafted game show with such a rule in place. Distilled is a rather good way of describing things at this point.

I agree to a point- the Prize Puzzles/Prize Wedges/Mystery Round prizes could be more varied, and I don't think they should have gotten rid of the cars in the Bonus Round, but sometimes being comfortable is a good thing as people know what to expect, and it's not like they don't tweak it any at all (the Million Dollar Wedge was the best thing to happen to the show in YEARS).

The big moment will be when Pat and/or Vanna decide to call it a day- which will be sooner rather than later-I'd suspect they might make a major overhaul then (maybe make it look more like some of the modern European versions set-wise).

Just remember back to TPIR circa 2007. I'm not sure how crazy they'll get (also depends if Friedman is still kicking on there then), but if they do too much, that ole alienation factor could come up. I just hope Sony/CBSTVDist spend more time in finding their replacements then was done on TPIR. Pat and Vanna's contracts, IIRC, go through 2014, so I'm waiting to hear an interesting announcement from them both around that time. It will all be interesting, nonetheless. I have to say though, there are a lot of arrows pointing towards much of the success of that show being because of Sajak, in particular, so if that's especially the case, the gang better have their act together when he decides the give the show the wave.

However, again, I could be very wrong. I was very vocal of my non-support for the MDW when it was first announced. And while my approach on including a $1kk top prize on the show, IF I was told I absolutely had to, would have been inherently different, I can't argue against the great buzz and publicity its inclusion brought the show these past two years, along with the bit of ratings spike the show has also had thereafter. So I had a tiny bit of crow come my way, won't be the last time, but hopefully it won't become a trend.
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak