Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: LMAD Wayne Brady observations  (Read 6379 times)

whewfan

LMAD Wayne Brady observations
« on: October 29, 2009, 04:08:29 PM »
A few things I noticed about Wayne Brady LMAD

There doesn't seem to be a division between the "non traders" and "potential traders". Seems anyone and everyone has a shot.

Wayne actually appears to be choosing traders on the spot, instead of the traders being pre-chosen, and Monty was just directed where the next trader(s) he was to deal with were seated. Either that or Wayne is just creating the illusion that he's picking the traders without any influence from the producers.

It seems none of the traders are carrying signs, at least, not "picket style" signs. Perhaps after all these years, they felt it was a safety issue.

Wayne has picked "non costumed" contestants. Monty had said on LMAD that nobody HAS TO be in costume, and they don't provide the costumes themselves. As the intro says "these people come DRESSED AS THEY ARE" I also noticed that the non costumed contestants are seated in a different section, for obvious reasons. On a recent show, Wayne picked a lady that was in a regular red shirt and pants, and offered her a hat so she would have a costume, and the hat had money wrapped around the brim.

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:12:55 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'229423\' date=\'Oct 29 2009, 04:08 PM\']It seems none of the traders are carrying signs, at least, not "picket style" signs. Perhaps after all these years, they felt it was a safety issue.[/quote]
I've seen a few contestants with signs.

Wayne has picked "non costumed" contestants. Monty had said on LMAD that nobody HAS TO be in costume, and they don't provide the costumes themselves. As the intro says "these people come DRESSED AS THEY ARE" I also noticed that the non costumed contestants are seated in a different section, for obvious reasons. On a recent show, Wayne picked a lady that was in a regular red shirt and pants, and offered her a hat so she would have a costume, and the hat had money wrapped around the brim.
Well, in all fairness, the show hasn't even been on the air for a month, and how many people are really going to Vegas JUST to see a game show where most contestants dress up in goofy costumes. It is a little odd, but I can understand...

The costumes have gotten better in recent weeks, although I've seen a hot dog costume two days in a row. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these episodes air out of order?
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 04:53:24 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'229424\' date=\'Oct 29 2009, 04:12 PM\']The costumes have gotten better in recent weeks, although I've seen a hot dog costume two days in a row. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these episodes air out of order?[/quote]
It's possible, and I wouldn't be surprised either way, but then again, hot dog costumes are readily available.

One costume I thought was really good was a husband wearing his firefighter outfit and his wife, who was holding a plush cat while dressed as a tree.

Have they still been censoring costumes?
This signature is currently under construction.

JayDLewis

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 05:07:41 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'229423\' date=\'Oct 29 2009, 03:08 PM\']On a recent show, Wayne picked a lady that was in a regular red shirt and pants, and offered her a hat so she would have a costume, and the hat had money wrapped around the brim.[/quote]

I believe said lady was also in a wheel chair.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

CJBojangles

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 06:02:42 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'229423\' date=\'Oct 29 2009, 01:08 PM\']Wayne actually appears to be choosing traders on the spot, instead of the traders being pre-chosen, and Monty was just directed where the next trader(s) he was to deal with were seated. Either that or Wayne is just creating the illusion that he's picking the traders without any influence from the producers.[/quote]
The contestants are absolutely picked by contestant coordinators before the show.

Either that or they're just lining every audience member up and having someone ask "Where ya from? Whad'ya do?" for the hell of it.

[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'229423\' date=\'Oct 29 2009, 01:08 PM\']Wayne has picked "non costumed" contestants. Monty had said on LMAD that nobody HAS TO be in costume, and they don't provide the costumes themselves. As the intro says "these people come DRESSED AS THEY ARE" I also noticed that the non costumed contestants are seated in a different section, for obvious reasons. On a recent show, Wayne picked a lady that was in a regular red shirt and pants, and offered her a hat so she would have a costume, and the hat had money wrapped around the brim.[/quote]
Outside the studio they have a setup they call the "Let's Make a Deal Costume Shop" where they sell old Halloween costumes. Some came dressed, while some purchased them at the show (the cheapest I saw, I believe was $25).

The costumes didn't appear to be of more value than a conversation piece with the contestant coordinators. Looked as if they were going for personality instead. Several people at the show I attended were out of costume, and before the taping started, a stagehand walked around with a box of props like big glasses, Mardi Gras beads, and funny hats, and handed them out to those that were in normal clothing.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 06:12:33 PM by CJBojangles »

WilliamPorygon

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 07:07:48 PM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' post=\'229435\' date=\'Oct 29 2009, 06:02 PM\']Outside the studio they have a setup they call the "Let's Make a Deal Costume Shop" where they sell old Halloween costumes. Some came dressed, while some purchased them at the show (the cheapest I saw, I believe was $25).[/quote]

I suppose that would be why I've seen at least 3 different couples dressed as the exact same bottles of ketchup and mustard in the past couple weeks.

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 10:47:15 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'229424\' date=\'Oct 29 2009, 03:12 PM\'][quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'229423\' date=\'Oct 29 2009, 04:08 PM\']It seems none of the traders are carrying signs, at least, not "picket style" signs. Perhaps after all these years, they felt it was a safety issue.[/quote]
I've seen a few contestants with signs.

Wayne has picked "non costumed" contestants. Monty had said on LMAD that nobody HAS TO be in costume, and they don't provide the costumes themselves. As the intro says "these people come DRESSED AS THEY ARE" .
[/quote]

Considering Monty carped at everyone to hold their signs down for, oh, 20 or 30 years, maybe they finally decided to throw them away at the door.

Jay Stewart's old spiel was "these people, dressed as they are," no "come." And now Jonathan says "these people are dressed up to win." There's nothing that says the contestants did it of their own volition. I would think some vacationers would start bringing costumes to Vegas now that the show has started airing. It's the same as bringing a suit because you're going to a nice restaurant. The economic conditions in Vegas would prompt residents to show up in anything that might get them money.

I noticed the return of ketchup and mustard, too.

Anyone notice how Jonathan pronounces "-ing" words? "Promotional fees paid for by the followink"? "It's a sapphire and diamond rink"?

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 11:38:33 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'229424\' date=\'Oct 29 2009, 04:12 PM\']The costumes have gotten better in recent weeks, although I've seen a hot dog costume two days in a row. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these episodes air out of order?[/quote]
Based on this page, they seem to be airing fairly close to in order right now, although they still haven't run 11 of the first 15 shows.

whewfan

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 06:39:14 PM »
I wonder if they're providing costumes for the time being because some people may not realize that LMAD is traditionally a costumed show. Once the show catches on, perhaps they won't have to provide them.

If anyone has seen the LMAD documentary that was available on VHS years ago, the contestants do indeed come to the studio IN COSTUME, and I know Monty had said on LMAD that they have never provided costumes for the contestants.

The way Wayne just files through the audience, it does APPEAR that he is just picking people . Another thing I noticed about Wayne's LMAD is that EVERYONE jumps to their feet when Wayne is about to pick a trader, but that NEVER happened on any of Monty's versions.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 07:01:08 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'229794\' date=\'Nov 3 2009, 03:39 PM\']I wonder if they're providing costumes for the time being because some people may not realize that LMAD is traditionally a costumed show.[/quote]
Really? I mean, really?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 07:10:01 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'229794\' date=\'Nov 3 2009, 06:39 PM\']I wonder if they're providing costumes for the time being because some people may not realize that LMAD is traditionally a costumed show. Once the show catches on, perhaps they won't have to provide them.

If anyone has seen the LMAD documentary that was available on VHS years ago, the contestants do indeed come to the studio IN COSTUME, and I know Monty had said on LMAD that they have never provided costumes for the contestants.[/quote]
And again, the show hasn't been on the air for a month yet, which means most of the episodes were taped before the show even premiered. Even if people were aware of the new LMaD, I don't think too many people are going out of their way to make an elaborate costume. And like I said earlier in the thread, people aren't flocking to Vegas JUST to see a costume-based game show.

The way Wayne just files through the audience, it does APPEAR that he is just picking people .
People in the know already mentioned that the traders are picked beforehand.

Another thing I noticed about Wayne's LMAD is that EVERYONE jumps to their feet when Wayne is about to pick a trader, but that NEVER happened on any of Monty's versions.
Okay...and? I'm not trying to be snarky, but I don't see how that makes any difference whatsoever.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 07:15:37 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

alfonzos

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 09:12:33 PM »
I haven't watched an entire episode yet just ten minutes or so from the network web site. So far, I'm not impressed with Brady's patter. A woman contestant is dressed as a carrot and he made no comment! I was thinking he could have introduced her as Mrs. Carrot Top or something.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 09:45:03 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'229810\' date=\'Nov 3 2009, 09:12 PM\']I was thinking he could have introduced her as Mrs. Carrot Top or something.[/quote]Why?  That's not amusing at all.  I wasn't aware that Jason Wuthrich published his book of "jokes".
--Mark
Phil 4:13

alfonzos

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 04:26:56 PM »
Jokes? I didn’t write anything about jokes. I wrote about “patter.” Monty Hall has the ability to maintain a lively monologue. He invoked the image of the eighteen-century snake oil salesman, in a good way, to draw a crowd and make that audience part of the spectacle. Mere hosts such as Hilton, DeCarlo, and Bush couldn’t hold a candle. The fact that Hall also owned the show added to the mystique. I hope that when I to see an entire episode that Brady can carry on Hall’s legacy.

Aside to Modor: Get a dictionary. Get a grip.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

CJBojangles

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 09:24:12 PM »
[quote name=\'alfonzos\' post=\'229919\' date=\'Nov 5 2009, 02:26 PM\']The fact that Hall also owned the show added to the mystique. I hope that when I to see an entire episode that Brady can carry on Hall’s legacy.[/quote]
Uhh, it could be that it all happened a little before my time, but how many people do you think actually knew this?