Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego question  (Read 12114 times)

ChuckNet

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego question
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 05:53:44 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'229284\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 01:26 AM\'][quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'229274\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 12:18 AM\']And... yeah... I never saw anyone even trip and fall during the bonus round. So for such a fall so spectacular that the person lands JUST right to break their arm... forget it.[/quote]

I do recall an episode where a child tripped and fell during the bonus round but was perfectly fine. Hopefully I'm not the only one who remembers this.
[/quote]

No you're not...I distinctly recall a contestant on the Asia map who brought the marker down a little too hard and not only took a fall, but actually succeeded in knocking off the top of the marker!

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Bill Neuweiler

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 12:02:13 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'229371\' date=\'Oct 28 2009, 05:53 PM\'][quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'229284\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 01:26 AM\'][quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'229274\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 12:18 AM\']And... yeah... I never saw anyone even trip and fall during the bonus round. So for such a fall so spectacular that the person lands JUST right to break their arm... forget it.[/quote]

I do recall an episode where a child tripped and fell during the bonus round but was perfectly fine. Hopefully I'm not the only one who remembers this.
[/quote]

No you're not...I distinctly recall a contestant on the Asia map who brought the marker down a little too hard and not only took a fall, but actually succeeded in knocking off the top of the marker!

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
[/quote]

or it could've been asia too!  'twas a long time ago....
<p>I share a birthday with Jack Barry.

rjaguar3

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 12:00:21 PM »
This e-mail came from WGBH today:

Thank you for your interest in WGBH. We always appreciate hearing from our viewers, listeners, and Web site visitors.

This particular episode never aired because the final contestant was injured during the taping. The Where in the World series was produced jointly by GBH and WQED in Pittsburgh. The WGBH Archives department is certain that they don’t have it in their files. WQED has quite a bit of this material but it is only partially cataloged. In the end, we would tend to believe that it exists and that if it does, it would probably be located at WQED. Unfortunately, we don’t have a contact person there to point you to, but here is the contact information:

Please contact:
WQED
4802 FIFTH AVENUE
PITTSBURGH, PA 15213
Phone: 412-622-1300
Email: WWW.WQED.ORG

We hope you continue to enjoy the terrific children's programs produced by WGBH like Arthur, Postcards from Buster, Between the Lions, Peep and the Big Wide World, Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman, Design Squad, and Curious George. Find out about all these great shows online at pbskids.org!

Please consider supporting the excellent children's programming produced by WGBH by calling us at 617-300-3300 (M-F, 9-5) - or at 800-492-1111 at other times - or pledging online at http://www.wgbh.org/pledge. Visit wgbh.org for information about WGBH programs and services and to sign up for our free weekly e-newsletter, @gbh, which includes reminders of upcoming programs on WGBH 2, 44, 89.7, information on your favorite PBS sites, answers to your questions, and the latest WGBH news.

Sincerely,
WGBH Member Development and Services

EDIT:  My opinion is that there may actually be some truth to GameShowNetwork's claims, but it's not certain.  Also, special thanks to the people at WGBH for taking the time to investigate this.  I will be contacting WQED for more information.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:04:29 PM by rjaguar3 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »
Twenty years from now GSF members will be speaking fondly of "Fetch! with Ruff Ruffman," and wondering "Why didn't anybody record those?"
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:00:43 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

chrisholland03

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 09:31:03 PM »
Bawwwwww...Ruff is so cute :)

LOL

Darion Blackwood Daniel

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 02:40:46 PM »
[quote name=\'chrisholland03\' post=\'230343\' date=\'Nov 10 2009, 08:31 PM\']Bawwwwww...Ruff is so cute :)

LOL[/quote]Oh, he sure is, but that is a whole other show.  

On the other hand, Carmen Sandiego had potential if they kept the format under control.
Love and Heart--The Blackwood Company

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Re: Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego question
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 09:57:23 PM »
Bumping an 11-year-old topic...

In my spare time for the past few weeks, and with the assistance of many people involved with the show's production, editing, and subsequent archival, I've been researching the existence of Auld Lang Gone. I'm happy to now be able to begin sharing the story of my endeavor. This is part one.

http://buzzerblog.com/2020/08/23/gone-but-not-forgotten-exploring-the-myth-of-the-lost-carmen-sandiego-part-1
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 10:12:13 PM »
Most of the time bumping a d3cade old topic would be cause for derision.

This is not one of those times.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2020, 12:57:33 AM »
I am intrigued. I must see how this played out.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Bobby B.

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2020, 12:24:55 PM »
I am intrigued as well.  I’ve always figured that the arm-breaking incident did occur, but that all the details about it online were all the products of someone’s imagination.  I can’t wait to read part 2.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »
The old posts in this thread piqued my interest in seeing what the edits to the Wikipedia article were. Having viewed that and then having seen that a lot of the players from 2009 are still editing game show articles today, it reminds me why I stick to only editing road/highway articles.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Loogaroo

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2020, 02:57:29 PM »
Hiding this behind spoiler text because people should read the whole thing, but did anyone else internalize the sucker-punch Christian most certainly felt when they said they actually only had the Where in Time episode?
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

dazztardly

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2020, 05:31:29 PM »
http://buzzerblog.com/2020/08/27/hope-that-answers-your-question-exploring-the-myth-of-the-lost-carmen-sandiego-part-3/

After reading this whole 3-part saga, the letter from WGBH which was posted here 10-years ago is nothing really but a load of bullcrap.

-Dan

rjaguar3

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2020, 08:50:33 PM »
http://buzzerblog.com/2020/08/27/hope-that-answers-your-question-exploring-the-myth-of-the-lost-carmen-sandiego-part-3/

After reading this whole 3-part saga, the letter from WGBH which was posted here 10-years ago is nothing really but a load of bullcrap.

-Dan

I can assure you the email is real; the sender must have been misinformed (as the article series illustrates).