Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Schedule 11/9  (Read 13147 times)

MizzouRah!

GSN Schedule 11/9
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 08:23:20 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'230674\' date=\'Nov 16 2009, 12:29 PM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'230669\' date=\'Nov 16 2009, 11:15 AM\']I haven't had GSN for a while now, but is there anything left on their schedule to disappear?[/quote]Nothing much is left except for ads for personal pleasure devices and a lovely product called Ass Effects.
[/quote]
I wondered if I was the only one to notice 'Ass Effects'. Can you imagine being in the meeting for the final product naming? Plus I love one of the side effects of the product...PAIN!! Makes me want to pick up a case.

Jay Temple

GSN Schedule 11/9
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 01:03:19 AM »
It was even worse for a while, when they cut it short and all you heard was "Ass!"
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Vahan_Nisanian

GSN Schedule 11/9
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 01:46:32 AM »
A bit off-topic here, but here's a question that I've been pondering for quite a while:

Suppose GSN were to regain the rights to Press Your Luck. Even if they do get it back, will they ever be able to show the 1983-1984 and 1985-1986 episodes?

Because check out this quote from Brad Fancini's site:

When the show premiered, very few spaces in round two (hardly any more than round one in fact) offered in additional spin.  This meant games ended too quickly in some circumstances, leaving extra time to be filled at the end.  The producers quickly corrected this problem, realizing that earning an additional spin was the only way to allow contestants who were thousands of dollars behind to catch up.  Unfortunately, the producers wound up overcorrecting this problem.  By 1986, there were so many extra spins on the board that games wound up running long, which meant spins had to be choppily edited down.

Granted, USA Network showed most of the episodes that GSN didn't show, but that was back when there were fewer commercials in between breaks. Nowadays, there's more than ever, and I've got a bad feeling that this is the main reason why GSN has been uninterested in showing those episodes all along.

Jimmy Owen

GSN Schedule 11/9
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 09:28:21 AM »
Remember when Republic Pictures had PYL and there were those after-show fillers with the Whammy of a minute or so?  I don't recall seeing those on CBS, so when exactly were those made?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

GSN Schedule 11/9
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 05:48:55 PM »
Those cartoons were probably made for the '87 syndication package.  Contestant plugs and the like were removed from those episodes, and when they ran short the Whammy cartoon would appear as filler.  Sometimes Peter would introduce clips from "upcoming episodes", although they looked a lot like the pre-show teasers.

Hopefully PYL will return to GSN one day and run all the episodes.  The '83 episodes might have been slower-paced than the rest of the run, but they could probably sell more commercial time if they picked them up!  I always thought the '86 episodes were the best of the series.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

MizzouRah!

GSN Schedule 11/9
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 01:12:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'230759\' date=\'Nov 17 2009, 06:48 PM\']Those cartoons were probably made for the '87 syndication package.  Contestant plugs and the like were removed from those episodes, and when they ran short the Whammy cartoon would appear as filler.  Sometimes Peter would introduce clips from "upcoming episodes", although they looked a lot like the pre-show teasers.

Hopefully PYL will return to GSN one day and run all the episodes.  The '83 episodes might have been slower-paced than the rest of the run, but they could probably sell more commercial time if they picked them up!  I always thought the '86 episodes were the best of the series.[/quote]
Okay,  maybe I've been totally out of the loop, or my memory has taken a short vacation, but PYL '87 syndicated package??? Was this only shown in limited markets? I do remember the late afternoon reruns for a few months, but that was a CBS run. Maybe my area never picked up the '87 season, so was this also a rerun package?

BrandonFG

GSN Schedule 11/9
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2009, 08:39:31 AM »
[quote name=\'MizzouRah!\' post=\'230802\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 01:12 AM\']Okay,  maybe I've been totally out of the loop, or my memory has taken a short vacation, but PYL '87 syndicated package??? Was this only shown in limited markets?[/quote]
I believe so. I remember seeing the trade ads in old issues of Broadcasting, but I didn't know they were actually syndicated. I believe it was a trial run for first-run syndication. Surprised it never caught on.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

GSN Schedule 11/9
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 10:00:56 AM »
Yeah, the reruns were syndicated shortly before they appeared on USA.  At the time, there were some markets that didn't clear it during the CBS run, especially when it moved to 4 eastern, so it could be essentially first-run in those cities. It's possible that the lack of takers led to selling it to USA.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tyshaun1

GSN Schedule 11/9
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 11:06:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'230810\' date=\'Nov 18 2009, 10:00 AM\']Yeah, the reruns were syndicated shortly before they appeared on USA.  At the time, there were some markets that didn't clear it during the CBS run, especially when it moved to 4 eastern, so it could be essentially first-run in those cities. It's possible that the lack of takers led to selling it to USA.[/quote]
Supposedly, the syndication rerun package was a test run to see if the show had legs for a possible Fall 1987 revival. Unfortunately the show didn't get a ton of pickups, and where it did, the time slots were pretty poor.

Tyshaun

JMFabiano

GSN Schedule 11/9
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 10:29:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'230718\' date=\'Nov 17 2009, 02:03 AM\']It was even worse for a while, when they cut it short and all you heard was "Ass!"[/quote]

The AVGN is writing infomercial scripts then?  

As for being back on topic...speaking of which, well, no PW is ass.  Makes me glad I taped GSN when it was what we wanted it to be (which I am re-discovering through digitizing my VHS collection)  

And Mill Creek, you can't get some new G-T materials out soon enough after the re-releases of the BCI sets.  Just saying.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.