Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DirecTV "GSN Game Lounge"  (Read 3022 times)

bwood

DirecTV "GSN Game Lounge"
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:23:08 AM »
Was scrolling through my on screen guide today and spotted that DirecTV's Game Lounge is now the "GSN Game Lounge". I don't subscribe to it or ever pay attention to it, I just happened to notice it today. Does anyone know when this partnership started? I guess it's a good thing for GSN, even though it promotes its games and not really the channel itself.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 02:38:07 AM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'238424\' date=\'Mar 28 2010, 01:23 AM\']Does anyone know when this partnership started?[/quote]

DirecTV is currently the majority owner of GSN, with a 65% ownership stake in the network. Since GSN's brass has gone bonkers in trying to push the GSN brand into the casual gaming field, and since DirecTV had this entire line of games-via-set top boxes already in use with an active user base, some agreements were reach and memos were sent and voila, GSN logo attached in front of the previous Game Lounge branding.

golden-road

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 06:52:24 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'238430\' date=\'Mar 28 2010, 01:38 AM\'][quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'238424\' date=\'Mar 28 2010, 01:23 AM\']Does anyone know when this partnership started?[/quote]

DirecTV is currently the majority owner of GSN, with a 65% ownership stake in the network. Since GSN's brass has gone bonkers in trying to push the GSN brand into the casual gaming field, and since DirecTV had this entire line of games-via-set top boxes already in use with an active user base, some agreements were reach and memos were sent and voila, GSN logo attached in front of the previous Game Lounge branding.
[/quote]

One of those games being the Catch 21 endgame, in which you answered questions to earn Power Chips.

bwood

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 12:37:35 PM »
Wow, I had no idea that DirecTV merged with Liberty Media's Entertainment Division and now owned much of GSN. I just read that a few minutes ago in a story from late last year.  The whole Game Lounge thing makes sense now.