Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Worst Of The Bunch...  (Read 32232 times)

beatlefreak84

The Worst Of The Bunch...
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 11:14:58 PM »
So here's a noggin tickler: M. G. 's Crosswords or Monopoly?

Boy, you ain't kidding.  The thing is, I really wanted to like both of these shows, and I saw a lot of potential in each.  There were aspects of both that kept me entertained enough to watch more than one episode of each, but I'd have to say that the edge for "worse" has to go to Crosswords.  The play-along factor was great, but that whole "Spoiler" exercise left a really bad taste in my mouth, and let's not even discuss Ty...:)

Monopoly at least had a much more decent game, even if there were stumbles in execution, and there was a good trade-off between luck and skill (just like the real game).  YMMV, of course, but I felt Monopoly should've had a decent (at least one full season) run in syndication.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 03:00:29 AM »
Bob Stivers Productions:  "The Baby Game".

Lets just say that there's a reason that it's not on anyone's "Want List"...

:^)

-Kevin
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:00:50 AM by TwoInchQuad »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 09:02:13 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'227435\' date=\'Oct 1 2009, 11:04 PM\']So here's a noggin tickler: M. G. 's Crosswords or Monopoly?[/quote]

For MG, it would have to be "Ruckus."  The problem with Monopoly is that there wasn't enough time to play the game.  Maybe make it an hour strip, have the three contestants or their partners standing on the game board and have Ron Greenberg work on it so we can borrow the "points representing dice" aspect of "The Big Showdown."  All contestants play the entire week so there would be a chance to amass some properties and pass go a couple of times.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 10:19:30 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'227415\' date=\'Oct 1 2009, 07:33 PM\']I also disagree - Winning Lines and The Mole (in addition to Legends)[/quote]
My only problem with Winning Lines was that the qualifying round seemed to take forever. I loved the elimination round, and the seven contestants' numbers serving as the answers to questions.

And of course Wonderwall is in my top 3 end games of all time, between the Winner's Circle and perhaps Alphabetics.

/One friggin' Pit Stop

And to answer the Merv Griffin question, Crosswords, for the broken format (spoiler not saying anything for 18 minutes, then inheriting a nice bank in the 19th), constant rule changes (IIRC, three within the first two months), ambiguous clues, and inconsistent bonus round (some days contestants had 10 clues, other days they had almost 15).

I would've played the show as a "reverse" puzzle of sorts and only three contestants, no spoilers. There's about what, 75 clues in a newspaper puzzle? First round is a warm-up with 15 clues, round two is 20. Eliminate the low scoring contestant, and in round three, 25 clues. Bonus round is filling in the remaining 15. It still creates a lot of time to fill in the event of a round three runaway, but it's a start.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 10:27:12 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Neumms

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 12:30:33 PM »
"What's Going On?" was too ambitious for the technology of the time, but there was a pretty fun idea there. "Mindreaders," on the other hand. . .

And I have to vote for "Hollywood Connection" over (under?) "All About the Opposite Sex," for the mitigating factor that the CBS 9am CT game (may have been the network "Tic Tac Dough") was pre-empted for that steaming pile of Jim Lange.

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 06:18:14 PM »
I think "You're In The Picture" deserves a mention here somewhere.  

According to "The Encyclopedia of TV Game Shows," the "packager" was Steve Carlin Productions / Solar Enterprises / Idees Grandes Inc."
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

TimK2003

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 06:20:42 PM »
BOB/SANDE STEWART -- Your Number's Up -- It was the 63rd time that the Stewarts tried to do a game by showing the initials in the answers.  Nipsey was over the top (see: show, last).  The only saving grace was Lee Menning -- and dare I say she still looked hot even in maternity clothes at the end!

KLINE & FRIENDS -- Pictionary  -- It was Win, Lose or Draw with D-List Celebs. (BTW, nearly all the K&F shows are close behind Pictionary).

FREMANTLE -- It's a tie between Card Sharks and Temptation, and I have to break the tie by going with Card Sharks since they butchered the format to hell, yet kept the name (They at least changed the primary name of the show to Temptation when they mutilated Sale of the Century).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:29:25 PM by TimK2003 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 09:59:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'227446\' date=\'Oct 2 2009, 06:02 AM\']For MG, it would have to be "Ruckus."[/quote] So you're saying that a show that had decent (if not mind-bending) gameplay, a show that builds to a reasonable conclusion and one that had some clever bits was worse that a show where the winner was determined either at the very last second or determined after the first round?

The problem with Monopoly is that there wasn't enough time to play the game.  Maybe make it an hour strip, have the three contestants or their partners standing on the game board and have Ron Greenberg work on it so we can borrow the "points representing dice" aspect of "The Big Showdown."  All contestants play the entire week so there would be a chance to amass some properties and pass go a couple of times.
I don't think time was the problem. The building of properties round is too long no matter what.

Dive headfirst into the game. Roll the dice, and if a property is underfoot, a toss-up is played for some small amount of money. Whoever is right can either bank that money, or risk it and play for the rent with a house. Then two houses, and so on, up to a Hotel. It plays sorta like a Fast Forward: wrong and you lose the cash, and someone else can swoop in and claim the pot, then roll again. Do whatever you like for the railroads and utilities. Everything else functions normally. Most mney at the horn is the winner.

The game shows that were decent translations of board games kept the recognizable aspects of the game, but weren't carbon copies. Monopoly could have done without the building round, and this allows for more time to play the properties in an interesting way.

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'227447\' date=\'Oct 2 2009, 07:19 AM\']My only problem with Winning Lines was that the qualifying round seemed to take forever. I loved the elimination round, and the seven contestants' numbers serving as the answers to questions.[/quote] Since I'm on a roll: have to "sudden death" games, with ten contestants randomly assigned numbers. The winners/survivors in whatever number you want move on to the final round. Twenty-six letters hide various numbers that are the answer to the questions. To score a point, you have to give the proper letter that hides the correct number. To make things interesting, part of the letters reveal their numbers, then flip over, in an undulating and random way. Whoever scores most/reaches the finish line first plays Wonderwall for whatever grand prize you like.

And to answer the Merv Griffin question, Crosswords, for the broken format (spoiler not saying anything for 18 minutes, then inheriting a nice bank in the 19th), constant rule changes (IIRC, three within the first two months), ambiguous clues, and inconsistent bonus round (some days contestants had 10 clues, other days they had almost 15).
There's one thing that I don't think has been addressed. I did not buy Ty's "Ooh." When Alex Trebek says "Ooh, sorry," you know you've messed up. When Ty says "Ooh, sorry, the word we were looking for was 'ESNE'," I think "You wouldn't know what ESNE was if it wasn't on your screen, you smarmy little toad!" And it was really off-putting, at least for me.

Since three's a crowd, I would have two separate smaller puzzles, each with thirty clues. Player with the last right answer gets next pick, and so on. Hide the Getaway prizes and the Extras, which will truly be "discovered" by the player that finds it. I envision the final round as a fifteen-clue puzzle to be finished in 90 seconds for the standard $5,000 + exotic holiday. If you want to have players stick around for the week, or just have the champ back, that's fine.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2009, 08:39:03 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'227491\' date=\'Oct 2 2009, 09:59 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'227446\' date=\'Oct 2 2009, 06:02 AM\']For MG, it would have to be "Ruckus."[/quote] So you're saying that a show that had decent (if not mind-bending) gameplay, a show that builds to a reasonable conclusion and one that had some clever bits was worse that a show where the winner was determined either at the very last second or determined after the first round?

The problem with Monopoly is that there wasn't enough time to play the game.  Maybe make it an hour strip, have the three contestants or their partners standing on the game board and have Ron Greenberg work on it so we can borrow the "points representing dice" aspect of "The Big Showdown."  All contestants play the entire week so there would be a chance to amass some properties and pass go a couple of times.
I don't think time was the problem. The building of properties round is too long no matter what.

Dive headfirst into the game. Roll the dice, and if a property is underfoot, a toss-up is played for some small amount of money. Whoever is right can either bank that money, or risk it and play for the rent with a house. Then two houses, and so on, up to a Hotel. It plays sorta like a Fast Forward: wrong and you lose the cash, and someone else can swoop in and claim the pot, then roll again. Do whatever you like for the railroads and utilities. Everything else functions normally. Most mney at the horn is the winner.

The game shows that were decent translations of board games kept the recognizable aspects of the game, but weren't carbon copies. Monopoly could have done without the building round, and this allows for more time to play the properties in an interesting way.

[/quote]

You may be right on "Ruckus"  I didn't enjoy it when I saw it.  Maybe I'm missing something.  I thought MGC was slightly better from a production standpoint.

As far as "Monopoly," Maybe start off with toss-ups to secure properties, with Purple being easy questions and progressing from there.  One or two questions per color (depending on the color)  so the actual monopolies have to be earned by rolling the dice later.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

davemackey

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2009, 09:51:24 AM »
Who did "Treasure Mall"? That was pretty rank.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2009, 10:50:41 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'227438\' date=\'Oct 1 2009, 11:14 PM\']Monopoly at least had a much more decent game,[/quote]

What Monopoly had was a SPECTACTULAR set.  Nothing much else, from where I was sitting.
czambo@mac.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2009, 11:56:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'227509\' date=\'Oct 3 2009, 05:39 AM\']You may be right on "Ruckus"  I didn't enjoy it when I saw it.  Maybe I'm missing something.  I thought MGC was slightly better from a production standpoint.[/quote]And this just proves what can happen when you ask two people what "worst" means. I would by no means say that "Ruckus" was life-changing Emmy worthy television, because it wasn't.  But at least everything made sense to me as a viewer. I also only saw a handful of Ruckus, compared with the entire Monopoly and most of Crosswords.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2009, 11:59:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'227518\' date=\'Oct 3 2009, 10:50 AM\']What Monopoly had was a SPECTACTULAR set.  Nothing much else, from where I was sitting.[/quote]
Theme song.  Don't forget the theme song. I sure can't.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

whewfan

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2009, 12:35:14 PM »
[quote name='davemackey' date='Oct 3 2009, 09:51 AM' post='227510']
Who did "Treasure Mall"? That was pretty rank.

That show was SCREAMING "low budget", and the coin finding rounds aren't as exciting as the could be, but the main game wasn't too bad. It was basically a variation of the main game of Pitfall. I also think Hal Sparks was pretty good as host. It's a couple notches better than Slime Time, which was paired up with Treasure Mall.

JMFabiano

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2009, 06:53:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'227388\' date=\'Oct 1 2009, 04:50 PM\']Michael Davies - Chain Reaction.[/quote]

Oh I dunno....IMO this falls into the TTD '90 category.  The gameplay really wasn't totally betrayed, but the other elements did it in (Dylan Lane not being that great,  LOOKS AND YOUTH > GAMEPLAY ABILITY...now that made me worry about a possible future for $1M Pyramid, as Davies did that pilot and all)  

Same as Temptation...it at least was the same concept as SOTC, but was ruined by dumb prize system (mentioned before), watered-down questions, half-anonymous contestants who were limited to almost all women (not that I am sexist, and hey, it was sexist against them because of the "women like to shop" stereotype), etc. etc.  So yeah, CS 2001 = much worse.  Almost nothing like the original and cheesy and gut-wrenching to boot.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.