Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Worst Of The Bunch...  (Read 32395 times)

Ian Wallis

The Worst Of The Bunch...
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »
I think the obvious problem with Love Experts was that it was a talk show with game show elements, but there was very little if any game. If anyone other than Bill Cullen was hosting, the whole thing would be a wash. One of Bill's many talents was making a game with a weak premise look very good and entertaining to watch.

To be honest, I kind of liked Love Experts.  I think it was a combination of a few things - Bill, plus the celebrity panel (Geoff Edwards was on there a lot, as were other game show regulars like Soupy Sales and Elaine Joyce), the theme (some have said it was out of place but I've always liked Spring Rain), and the fact they did offer a prize to one of the "contestants".

I guess it was a game show in every way - except they forgot to include the game!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2010, 12:51:32 PM »
I wonder of MG productions also caused Time Machine to change its format from the "solo players play TPIR ripoff games that deal with time periods instead of prices" to a not much better two player format. John Davidson, for me, was somewhat tolerable on Time Machine, better than he was on Pyramid, but not as good as he was on HS for the first 2 seasons.

I guess we all have those short-lived "gems" that we liked, but I don't think Time Machine was that bad.  Maybe I'm one of the few, but I actually enjoyed watching the show - both formats.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

J.R.

« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2010, 03:19:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'245568\' date=\'Aug 8 2010, 11:51 AM\']I guess we all have those short-lived "gems" that we liked, but I don't think Time Machine was that bad.  Maybe I'm one of the few, but I actually enjoyed watching the show - both formats.[/quote]
I thought it was a good concept (A TPIR-like "collection of mini games" show with trivia instead of pricing), but the execution was way off, IMHO.
-Joe Raygor