Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR: Make Your Mark retired  (Read 30338 times)

bandit_bobby

TPiR: Make Your Mark retired
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 07:49:48 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Step Up was quietly retired over similar reasons.

MTCesquire

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 08:06:23 PM »
Straying from the point a bit, "Make Your (Barker's) Mark(ers)" wasn't even that enthralling of a game to begin with.  After its initial playing in the 36th season with the new title, I'd almost forgotten it was in the lineup.  I hardly doubt it'll be missed.  I know I won't.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 08:07:40 PM »
So they're retiring a game because:
A: Drew didn't get the rules
B: Nobody had the balls to tell him that he didn't know the rules
C: Apparently nobody thought that the game was worth saving, since A and B happened in the first place

[quote name=\'Mr. Brown\' post=\'225668\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 02:01 PM\']And is the staff really that afraid of him? Is he really a dictator around the set? Is Bob wearing a Drew Carey costume?[/quote]
From what I've read here (unless I've been reading wrong), Drew has attained some power, but here's my thing...who's giving him that power in the first place, and if he's become a "dictator", why didn't anybody have the balls in the first place to tell him something along the lines of "Your input is appreciated, but you're here to host, and if we don't like the job you're doping, we have no qualms about firing you"? Richard Dawson was a douche, but hey, Feud had the highest ratings for some time.

I'm just offering input from my POV. if there's something I''m missing here, please fill me in, cause I have no idea what the heck is going on.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:13:28 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
[quote name=\'MTCesquire\' post=\'225699\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 05:06 PM\']Straying from the point a bit, "Make Your (Barker's) Mark(ers)" wasn't even that enthralling of a game to begin with.  After its initial playing in the 36th season with the new title, I'd almost forgotten it was in the lineup.  I hardly doubt it'll be missed.  I know I won't.[/quote]When you boil down everything, it is a chrome-d up version of Double Prices, except you have a one-in-four chance of winning a $500 bonus (in addition to the prizes) if you were to play randomly.

If you were to take the game from "here's your prize!" to "We'll be right back!" there are seven different things that Drew has to know or have the contestant do. If you don't count repetitions of the same thing (like the pricing element in Plinko), that's as complicated as things get in terms of pricing games. If your host can't remember a seven-step game, then maybe he's not the host for you.

I like the guy as a person, he's as funny as all get-out, but he's not really a good fit for TPIR, and he's trying to mold the show instead of molding his performance to what the show needs. If you can find the happy medium of "guy who will do-si-do with the contestant during Cliff Hangers" and "Guy who knows the games and will up-sell a DSW" then we've got something.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:41:07 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 09:06:12 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'225695\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 07:21 PM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'225692\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 07:03 PM\']If, on the other hand, you want to make snarky comments about the debate because you're not happy about your minority viewpoint, you can learn to do that through a moderator's filter.[/quote]Wow. So you can be as snarky and vitriolic towards Drew as you wish, but if you voice your displeasure over the constant tainting of TPIR threads because of the people who are snarky and vitriolic towards Drew, you get threatened? Nice.
[/quote]
I don't know what point you're trying to make other than trying to slyly throw the mods under the bus, but who was snarky and vitriolic towards Drew, who, last I checked is not a forum member?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:05:08 AM by chris319 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

pentellit

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 09:10:40 PM »
...And why were they changing the name from "Barker's Bargain Bar" in the first place, do you think?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 10:50:55 PM »
Being Pro-Drew is too much of a disadvantage in these endless TPIR wars.
What wars? You have your opinion and I have mine.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'225701\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 05:39 PM\']I like the guy as a person, he's as funny as all get-out, but he's not really a good fit for TPIR, and he's trying to mold the show instead of molding his performance to what the show needs. If you can find the happy medium of "guy who will do-si-do with the contestant during Cliff Hangers" and "Guy who knows the games and will up-sell a DSW" then we've got something.[/quote]
Richard Dawson was a comedian who knew how to mold his persona to FF and was great at it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:44:23 AM by chris319 »

J.R.

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 12:01:01 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'225707\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 09:50 PM\']What wars? You have your opinion and I have mine.[/quote]
Right and I'll learn not to shoot my mouth off next time.

Truce? :)

Also, what Travis said.
-Joe Raygor

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 01:05:02 AM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'225703\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 09:10 PM\']...And why were they changing the name from "Barker's Bargain Bar" in the first place, do you think?[/quote]I think someone's signals got crossed, or did I miss something?

Is it possible someone thought that it just wasn't that big of a deal and/or an improvement?  I know jobs seem to be turning over, but I can't imagine Drew doing anything worse than saying "Oh, whoops," then going back to whatever he was doing.
This signature is currently under construction.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 01:25:20 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'225708\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 09:01 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'225707\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 09:50 PM\']What wars? You have your opinion and I have mine.[/quote]
Right and I'll learn not to shoot my mouth off next time.

Truce? :)[/quote]
Truce? You can't have a truce if there isn't a war ;-)

Mr. Bill

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2009, 11:08:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'225710\' date=\'Sep 12 2009, 01:05 AM\'][quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'225703\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 09:10 PM\']...And why were they changing the name from "Barker's Bargain Bar" in the first place, do you think?[/quote]I think someone's signals got crossed, or did I miss something?
[/quote]
If so, I must have missed something too.

On topic -- a tidbit from the past.  "Barker's Markers" was also known as "Make Your Mark" on the '94 NPIR fiasco, starring, as Matt Ottinger used to call him, 'Soapboy' Doug Davidson.

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 11:07:15 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'225687\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 05:08 PM\']
Do rules changes have to be cleared with S&P first?
Generally yes, but in this case it doesn't disadvantage the contestant. They may have cleared the rule change (and rewritten the bible) after the fact.
[/quote]
Yes, it does.  The change encourages the contestant to not switch the marker, which is a terrible move odds-wise.  

Granted, if a contestant knows the rules and/or game well enough, it shouldn't be an encouragement, but honestly, how many people outside this forum know the rules to Barker's Markers?  Or have even heard of the Monty Hall problem, for that matter?

On a more general note, I'm not surprised that this was the final straw that broke Barker's Markers's back.  The game seemed like it was hanging by a thread for years.  It was only played a few times a year...the rules aren't actually all that straightforward...lots of contestants got confused by it...the game takes an incredibly long time to play (only a half-minute less than Ten Chances!)...and not much of a payoff, since the prize package is just three middle-tier prizes (treadmills, armoires, etc).

cmjb13

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 11:38:57 AM »
Need we forget a playing of Eazy as 123 in 2003 where Barker screwed up the rules on air?

Easy as 123
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:39:10 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

pentellit

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 02:12:10 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'225835\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 08:38 AM\']Need we forget a playing of Eazy as 123 in 2003 where Barker screwed up the rules on air?[/quote]
Oh, let's not!

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 02:14:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'225675\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 03:52 PM\'][quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'194636\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 05:04 PM\']Perhaps if everyone understood why the Make Your Mark change was implemented, it would stand to reason why some [of us] get frustrated.[/quote]
But of course at the time, it was so much more important to play the "I know something you don't know" card.
[/quote]

That's not the card I played.  I know it's fun to take little shots where you can, though.  Let me know when you devise a good way to protect the best interests of those who work/worked at the show who may or may not provide information which isn't always suitable for the masses.  You of all people understand this and have withheld information in the past.

[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'225835\' date=\'Sep 14 2009, 11:38 AM\']Need we forget a playing of Eazy as 123 in 2003 where Barker screwed up the rules on air?

Easy as 123[/quote]

But this didn't cause the retirement of Eazy as 1-2-3...