Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR: Make Your Mark retired  (Read 30473 times)

Casey Buck

TPiR: Make Your Mark retired
« on: September 11, 2009, 02:36:17 PM »
Remember last season when Make Your Mark (formerly Barker's Marker$) had its rules changed so that the $500 that was given out at the beginning of the game was still won, if the contestant decided to leave the markers in their original positions, and lost? We had quite a heated argument over this.

Well, Steve Gavazzi posted last night that:

Actually, it turns out that the rules to Barker's Marker$ were never supposed to be changed.  Drew explained the game incorrectly on the air, and the staff decided on the fly to make his wrong rules the "new rules," partly to avoid embarrassing him and partly because nobody wanted to be the one who had to tell him he'd made a mistake.  The game was subsequently retired specifically because of this incident.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:24:18 PM by Casey Buck »

Mr. Brown

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:01:19 PM »
It got Super Saver'd, 'cept by production and not the host (which isn't completely fair, since Bob was production too).

And is the staff really that afraid of him? Is he really a dictator around the set? Is Bob wearing a Drew Carey costume?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 03:01:40 PM by Mr. Brown »
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 03:03:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Brown\' post=\'225668\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 12:01 PM\']And is the staff really that afraid of him? Is he really a dictator around the set? Is Bob wearing a Drew Carey costume?[/quote]
Depends on who you ask, from the looks of it. And it seems like those furthest away from the situation purport to have the best knowledge of it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 03:52:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'225667\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 02:36 PM\']We had quite a heated argument over this.[/quote]
We sure did.  And now in retrospect, this statement finally makes sense:
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'194636\' date=\'Aug 20 2008, 05:04 PM\']Perhaps if everyone understood why the Make Your Mark change was implemented, it would stand to reason why some [of us] get frustrated.[/quote]
But of course at the time, it was so much more important to play the "I know something you don't know" card.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

CarShark

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 04:05:55 PM »
...? Uhhhhh, huh? At least we know why they changed the rules to a game and then didn't play it the rest of the season. I'm surprised no one thought of it before. The thing is, I don't see how dropping a game entirely enters the equation unless, like $uper $aver, lawyers or Standards and Practices gets involved. Do rules changes have to be cleared with S&P first?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 04:07:30 PM by CarShark »

J.R.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:07:46 PM »
Great, more ammunition for the "Droofus Sucks" crowd.
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 04:08:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' post=\'225667\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 02:36 PM\']Remember last season when Make Your Mark (formerly Barker's Marker$) had its rules changed so that the $500 that was given out at the beginning of the game was still won, if the contestant decided to leave the markers in their original positions, and lost? We had quite a heated argument over this.[/quote]
Hmm...that's a pretty rare occurrence around here...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Don Howard

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 05:09:52 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'225679\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 04:07 PM\']Great, more ammunition for the "Droofus Sucks" crowd.[/quote]
You're not helping.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 06:08:48 PM »
Do rules changes have to be cleared with S&P first?
Generally yes, but in this case it doesn't disadvantage the contestant. They may have cleared the rule change (and rewritten the bible) after the fact.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:39:43 AM by chris319 »

J.R.

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 06:27:19 PM »
I should know better. Being Pro-Drew is too much of a disadvantage in these endless TPIR wars.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:40:06 AM by chris319 »
-Joe Raygor

Kevin Prather

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'225687\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 03:08 PM\']
Do rules changes have to be cleared with S&P first?
Generally yes, but in this case it doesn't disadvantage the contestant. They may have cleared the rule change (and rewritten the bible) after the fact.
[/quote]
Does that mean that as long as the contestant doesn't get disadvantaged, S&P doesn't care? Is this the logic behind Barker's "Oh, what the heck, you win!" moments?

Sodboy13

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 06:54:34 PM »
If that's the reason for the game getting shelved, wow, that's really dumb, by all parties involved.

That being said, I do consider the source.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 07:03:13 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'225689\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 06:27 PM\']I should know better. Being Pro-Drew is too much of a disadvantage in these endless TPIR wars.[/quote]
You are trying way too hard to lose your "good guy" status.

If you want to comment on the job Drew is doing, go right ahead.  If your viewpoint happens to be in the minority, so be it.

If, on the other hand, you want to make snarky comments about the debate because you're not happy about your minority viewpoint, you can learn to do that through a moderator's filter.  As Don said, you're not helping.

BTW, this is coming from somebody who, if pushed, is probably ever-so-slightly on the pro-Drew side too.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

J.R.

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 07:21:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'225692\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 06:03 PM\']You are trying way too hard to lose your "good guy" status.[/quote]
You are right. I've worked too hard to get that status and I don't want to lose it. (See posts from 2003 to around 2007 if you want to know how obnoxious I used to be)

I'll try not to let disagreements affect me too personally. I have a bad tendency to get too passionate when I'm on a "minority" side of an opinion.

Thank you for that reality check. I do genuinely appreciate it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:22:34 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

CarShark

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 07:21:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'225692\' date=\'Sep 11 2009, 07:03 PM\']If, on the other hand, you want to make snarky comments about the debate because you're not happy about your minority viewpoint, you can learn to do that through a moderator's filter.[/quote]Wow. So you can be as snarky and vitriolic towards Drew as you wish, but if you voice your displeasure over the constant tainting of TPIR threads because of the people who are snarky and vitriolic towards Drew, you get threatened? Nice.