Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hypothetical TPIR scenario...  (Read 3774 times)

cmjb13

Hypothetical TPIR scenario...
« on: September 10, 2009, 02:00:44 PM »
Price makes it to the 40th season (not saying it won't) and it's decided to do an Anniversary special. Drew wants to bring back former models for the celebration.

Provided the models agreed to it, do you think Fremantle would allow it?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

aaron sica

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 02:10:32 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'225551\' date=\'Sep 10 2009, 02:00 PM\']Price makes it to the 40th season (not saying it won't) and it's decided to do an Anniversary special. Drew wants to bring back former models for the celebration.

Provided the models agreed to it, do you think Fremantle would allow it?[/quote]

I wonder if Holly would come back. She is one of my longtime favorites!

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »
Let me apologize in advance for my ex rectum theory, because I'm not about to try and look for the paperwork, but aren't at least one of the models' lawsuits against Fremantle?

Again, if I'm wrong, I do apologize, but trying to decipher the backstage drama causes severe headaches and temporary blindness for me andwewouexxcdiuyz...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

cmjb13

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 02:21:40 PM »
My theory is just that Drew would have enough clout to get them even if Fremantle didn't want to.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:07:28 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'225555\' date=\'Sep 10 2009, 02:21 PM\']My theory is just that Drew would have enough clout to get them even if Fremantle didn't want to.[/quote]

For a show that's evolving to target younger demographics with constant changes and "freshening up," do we suppose that 69 year old Janice is what they're aiming for?  Realizing that the 18-24 target demos (nor the show's Executive Producer) weren't born when Anitra was modeling, I don't see how it would be something they'd even think about.

Yes, for all of us long time fans, we'd enjoy it.  But certainly the show is not working to please the long time fans; they are working to attract new viewers.

And yes, the obvious...what fostergray said.

pentellit

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 04:37:23 PM »
I agree.  This is a new show, with a new host and a new look, going for a new audience.  The newest viewers, those who are just discovering TPIR, have only some vague idea that there ever was a different TPIR, and most likely they aren't interested anyway.  Drew's fans from his sitcom would be more excited having Mimi model a refrigerator than in dragging out some Barker Beauties from "the good ol' days".  I mean, how many of us here want to see a segment with the original Bill Cullen's TPIR models?  (Are they even still alive?) ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:58:28 PM by pentellit »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 04:54:37 PM »
I think there are limits to how many "ifs" you ought to be able to put in a hypothetical question, and four seems a lot.  Among all those assumptions, the idea that Drew, of all people, would have any real desire to invite back models he had nothing to do with seems particularly far-fetched.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 05:12:03 PM »
Drew wants to bring back former models for the celebration.
In that case I would be in favor of hauling Drew off to the psychiatric unit at Cedars Sinai.

do you think Fremantle would allow it?
To put it in the mildest terms possible, I think Fremantle would shoot that idea down in a big hurry.

Do you think Cecile Frot-Coutaz even knows who Janice Pennington is? It's a valid question. To be honest I'm not sure Cecile was even in the TV business (or in the U.S.) during all the years Janice was on the show. Matter of fact, we could likewise ask if Drew knows who Janice, Anitra, Dian, Holly, etc. are. I frankly doubt he does.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:15:21 PM by chris319 »

pentellit

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 05:23:51 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'225580\' date=\'Sep 10 2009, 02:12 PM\']..we could likewise ask if Drew knows who Janice, Anitra, Dian, Holly, etc. are. I frankly doubt he does.[/quote]
I also doubt he knows them, but he does know Mimi!

/Who is Cecile...whatever?
//Did I just make my own point?  ;)

jalman

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 05:43:11 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'225582\' date=\'Sep 10 2009, 05:23 PM\']/Who is Cecile...whatever?
//Did I just make my own point?  ;)[/quote]
This.
I guessed from the context of Chris' comment that she is a big major-type executive person.  She's only been CEO of Fremantle NA since July 2005. Also:

In 1998, she joined one of two teams that managed the integration of All-American Fremantle assets into the Pearson family as Deputy CEO Southern Europe and Managing Director France.

That appears to be her earliest possible involvement with anything related to Price but she wasn't with the North America branch until 2000 for online and interactive duties.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 05:51:08 PM by jalman »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 05:56:23 PM »
If I'm reading her bio correctly, she didn't come to the United States until 2000, and then it was to San Francisco apparently to get in on the dot-com boom. By then, Dian and Holly were LONG gone, Janice and Kathleen were on their way out and Rod was ill, but one has to wonder whether she ever watched the show and would have even a passing familiarity with any of them, or if she could explain in lucid terms who Mark Goodson was, or has ever seen an episode of Rayburn-hosted Match Game, etc.

Does anyone suppose Drew can name the models who were in the cast when he started doing the show?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 06:04:01 PM by chris319 »

Mr. Brown

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 06:31:38 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'225580\' date=\'Sep 10 2009, 04:12 PM\']Do you think Cecile Frot-Coutaz even knows who Janice Pennington is? It's a valid question. T[/quote]

Probably not... but is Cecile even involved with Price anymore? Last I had heard, she was asked to take a vacation of sorts...

And as for a 40th anniversary celebration of Price is Right - why wouldn't you invite the man himself, Bob, if he were still living at that point? It would make more sense to invite him, considering that the former models who don't exactly have a working relationship with the show or its production company. You certainly couldn't have both of 'em, since everybody hates everybody!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 06:32:12 PM by Mr. Brown »
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

pentellit

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 07:02:20 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'225591\' date=\'Sep 10 2009, 02:56 PM\']Does anyone suppose Drew can name the models who were in the cast when he started doing the show?[/quote]
As soon as Drew got to TPIR he spent alot of time with crew members, talking and listening.  To this day he continues to listen.  Could Drew name the numerous models who were there during the last five years of "The All About Bob Show"?  I doubt it.  Can anyone?  (Other than the remaining fanbois?).

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 07:10:59 PM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'225606\' date=\'Sep 10 2009, 06:02 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'225591\' date=\'Sep 10 2009, 02:56 PM\']Does anyone suppose Drew can name the models who were in the cast when he started doing the show?[/quote]
To this day he continues to listen.  Could Drew name the numerous models who were there during the last five years of "The All About Bob Show"?  I doubt it.  Can anyone?  (Other than the remaining fanbois?).
[/quote]
Weren't there holdovers at the start of Drew taking over?
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

CarShark

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 10:26:59 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'225608\' date=\'Sep 10 2009, 07:10 PM\']Weren't there holdovers at the start of Drew taking over?[/quote]I know Rachel, Lanisha, Gwen and Brandi (who's since left) were there. Amber's new. Manuela's very new.