Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker and Rod Roddy  (Read 19974 times)

Walrus5241

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« on: September 03, 2009, 09:40:08 PM »
Before I ask my question, allow me to assemble some facts and provide some background:

If you'll recall (and I'm sure many of you do), several years back (sometime in 2002, I believe), Fremantle Media announced a new policy: Rod Roddy, The Price is Right's long-time announcer and an icon within the show's lore, could no longer be seen on-camera. Supposedly, this was because on no other Fremantle show was the announcer seen on television, and they wanted to keep The Price is Right uniform with that rule.

Rumors ran rampant on the game show boards that the driving force behind this sudden edict was the silver-haired Plinkomaster himself, Bob Barker. Depending on who you talked to, it either stemmed from Barker's desire to be the sole personality associated with the show (also a reason given to explain the departure of Janice and co. in 2000) or from some sort of falling out or disagreement between Bob and Rod.

At the same time, Rod was growing frailer because of his illness. In his last television appearance (on the premiere of the 32nd season), he looked gaunt and sickly. To me, this signifies that perhaps Fremantle didn't want Rod on television because of the way he looked; or maybe Rod himself didn't want people to see him in his frail state, instead preferring for the legions of Price fans to remember him in his ebullient, garishly-clothed heyday.

Of course, Rod died, Rich Fields took his place, and suddenly Fremantle reversed their uniform announcer policy. If I recall correctly (and correct me if I'm not), Rich actually made onscreen appearances, BUT they were nowhere near as consistent or frequent as Johnny Olsen's or Rod's. So on the one hand, the fact that he made appearances at all would seem to suggest that maybe Bob's ego wasn't at play, and it was just a concern over Rod's appearance; on the other hand, the fact that they were infrequent seems to point to the Bob's ego theory. Worthy of note is the fact that Rich's appearances have SKYROCKETED since Drew Carey took over in 2007.

Now, this brings me to my question: does anyone know what the real reason was, or have any information from which we can draw conclusions and/or analyze? To recap, my four theories are (in no particular order):

1.) Bob's ego at play
2.) A falling out between Bob and Rod
3.) Rod looking sickly and not wanting to be shown
4.) Fremantle not wanting sickly Rod to be shown

davemackey

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 10:16:10 PM »
It's never been proven either way but I find it ghastly that we're still talking about this. So Rod wasn't on camera. Big deal.

Vahan_Nisanian

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 10:20:54 PM »
The whole thing about Fremantlemedia's "policy" is a bunch of fairy tale nonsense cooked up by Barker himself. Fremantle doesn't care if *insert game show announcer's name* gets more camera time than Barker.

If anything, Barker wanted to see Rod suffer so that his ego could skyrocket like never before. And to do that, he cut-down on his salary by downplaying his camera time.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:22:54 PM by gameshowlover87 »

Steve Gavazzi

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 10:27:05 PM »
Tension had been building between Bob and Rod for some time (in Bob's mind, anyway), and something happened behind the scenes in Vegas that should have been innoccuous but that instead caused things to come to a head.

There was never any announcer policy at Fremantle.  That line was used because it sounded better than "Bob got mad at Rod over nothing."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 10:32:39 PM »
I'd heard there was a falling out due to Rod's demand for more money for the prime-time shows. That's what I've heard. I'm sure I'll be corrected if this is not the case.

TheLastResort

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:58:27 PM »
You lost me after "silver-haired Plinkomaster."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:58:51 PM by TheLastResort »

Walrus5241

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 11:51:25 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'224867\' date=\'Sep 3 2009, 10:58 PM\']You lost me after "silver-haired Plinkomaster."[/quote]
Hahaha, that was intended to be very tongue-in-cheek and silly, it wasn't an attempt at a serious description of Bob.

tvrandywest

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 02:42:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Walrus5241\' post=\'224854\' date=\'Sep 3 2009, 06:40 PM\']1.) Bob's ego at play
4.) Fremantle not wanting sickly Rod to be shown[/quote]
Two of those answers are correct.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

pentellit

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 03:43:57 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'224888\' date=\'Sep 3 2009, 11:42 PM\'][quote name=\'Walrus5241\' post=\'224854\' date=\'Sep 3 2009, 06:40 PM\']1.) Bob's ego at play
4.) Fremantle not wanting sickly Rod to be shown[/quote]
Two of those answers are correct.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]
Duh!  1 & 2

So here's how the story goes…Bob Barker went to Rod and told him that they were going to be doing night time specials.   Barker told Rod that like the models, Rod would be paid scale for his work.  Rod was aghast!  For Rod Roddy to only be paid scale was a slap in the face.  Scale was what some newbie fresh out of Game Show Announcers School would be paid.  Rod was bringing years of experience on TPIR, plus identification with the show, along with TVq, a fan base, etc,etc.  Rod insisted he be paid what he was worth.  But Barker (the original “el cheapo”) was furious at Rod's demand.  A very heated and LOUD argument ensued.  Agents were called, tension was palpable.  Rod held firm and ultimately received the pay he deserved,  but sadly for Rod and his friends and fans, that’s when the very vindictive Barker pulled the plug on Rod’s regular close-ups.

It was Fremantle who took the blame.  The feeble explanation given for yanking Rod’s close-ups was a new policy of no longer showing announcers on camera (which no one believed).  Unfortunately for ol’ Bobbo too many people had overheard the argument.  They also knew that Rod eventually got the salary he deserved, but that following his argument with Barker, Rod Roddy’s close-ups on The Price Is Right were sadly, suddenly gone.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:46:23 AM by pentellit »

whewfan

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 05:43:22 AM »
There was one exception, the 32nd season premiere, when Syd did his "monologue", he acknowledged Rod, and Rod got what turned out to be the last time we saw him on camera. I believe he continued announcing for at least 2-3 weeks. He looked pretty good, but NOTICEABLY thinner.

I noticed myself sometime around the 30th year that Rod's appearances in the showcases were also cut.

I have heard that Johnny Olsen was always paid scale for the shows he did, in all the years he announced on game shows, and never once complained. It's interesting that Bob didn't try to pull Johnny from appearing in showcases and on camera in other spots. However, I suppose with Mark Goodson in charge, that would never happen.

I am glad Drew doesn't seem to mind sharing the spotlight with Rich, and although Rich did some embarassing things in the skits, I think it was a good idea to try to bring back some of the silliness that TPIR had back in the day, even though most of the "Drewcases" were disliked.

TimK2003

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 09:13:22 AM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'224896\' date=\'Sep 4 2009, 05:43 AM\']I have heard that Johnny Olsen was always paid scale for the shows he did, in all the years he announced on game shows, and never once complained. It's interesting that Bob didn't try to pull Johnny from appearing in showcases and on camera in other spots. However, I suppose with Mark Goodson in charge, that would never happen.[/quote]

One difference with Johnny's pay was that he was pulling in scale x multiple shows.  For most, if not all of his stint on TPIR, Johnny O was always announcing at least two shows -- most of the time it was more than that, so Johnny was making at least 2 to 3 times more than Rod ever made, scale-wise.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but by the time Rod succeeded Johnny, with game shows were fewer and farther between, Rod never announced for any other shows once he was on TPIR, right?

One other question:  Is/was there a difference in scale pay between daytime and primetime shows?

BrandonFG

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 09:20:48 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'224902\' date=\'Sep 4 2009, 09:13 AM\']Correct me if I'm wrong, but by the time Rod succeeded Johnny, with game shows were fewer and farther between, Rod never announced for any other shows once he was on TPIR, right?[/quote]
He still had about nine or so months left with Press Your Luck, but after that, I don't think so.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Don Howard

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 10:03:08 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'224904\' date=\'Sep 4 2009, 09:20 AM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'224902\' date=\'Sep 4 2009, 09:13 AM\']Correct me if I'm wrong, but by the time Rod succeeded Johnny, with game shows were fewer and farther between, Rod never announced for any other shows once he was on TPIR, right?[/quote]
He still had about nine or so months left with Press Your Luck, but after that, I don't think so.
[/quote]
Beyond that and the balance of the 1985-86 season of Love Connection, there were some here and there guest stints subbing for Gene Wood on Family Feud in the 1990s but as far as any regular work outside of the realm of TPiR beginning with Fall 1986, that is correct. In fact, during a two-week period in 1986, Charlie O'Donnell filled in for Rod on PYL.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 10:04:40 AM by Don Howard »

cmjb13

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 10:36:24 AM »
[quote name=\'pentellit\' post=\'224892\' date=\'Sep 4 2009, 03:43 AM\']So here's how the story goes…Bob Barker went to Rod and told him that they were going to be doing night time specials.   Barker told Rod that like the models, Rod would be paid scale for his work.  Rod was aghast!  For Rod Roddy to only be paid scale was a slap in the face.  Scale was what some newbie fresh out of Game Show Announcers School would be paid.  Rod was bringing years of experience on TPIR, plus identification with the show, along with TVq, a fan base, etc,etc.  Rod insisted he be paid what he was worth.  But Barker (the original “el cheapo”) was furious at Rod's demand.  A very heated and LOUD argument ensued.  Agents were called, tension was palpable.  Rod held firm and ultimately received the pay he deserved,  but sadly for Rod and his friends and fans, that’s when the very vindictive Barker pulled the plug on Rod’s regular close-ups.

It was Fremantle who took the blame.  The feeble explanation given for yanking Rod’s close-ups was a new policy of no longer showing announcers on camera (which no one believed).  Unfortunately for ol’ Bobbo too many people had overheard the argument.  They also knew that Rod eventually got the salary he deserved, but that following his argument with Barker, Rod Roddy’s close-ups on The Price Is Right were sadly, suddenly gone.[/quote]
Very interesting pentellit. Thank you for the insight.

I was there backstage after the show in Vegas when Barker came backstage. I remember Syd Vinnedge applauding Barker like he just put on the greatest peformance ever. I was standing there among others and I remember he looked our way and said "Gentlemen" and walked away. I never did hear any argument, thus it must have been after or before I arrived.

I do recall hearing a story about Rod promoting the Price is Right slot machines and nobody stopping by.

I had heard a variation of the salary story from 2 different sources. One who worked in an on-air role said that they wanted to cut his pay. The other story I had heard from someone on the crew said that Rod demanded more money. I guess in a way, both were true.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 10:39:12 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

TheLastResort

Bob Barker and Rod Roddy
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 11:31:08 AM »
Anybody know what amount "scale" is/was for an announcer?