Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The future of GSN  (Read 20506 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The future of GSN
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 01:47:27 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'223263\' date=\'Aug 17 2009, 10:20 PM\']but the only time I've heard of people get tired of too many big winners was early in Twenty-One's run[/quote]
Then, quite simply, you haven't been paying attention.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CarShark

The future of GSN
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 02:13:51 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'223264\' date=\'Aug 18 2009, 01:47 AM\']Then, quite simply, you haven't been paying attention.[/quote]
Then enlighten me, Lemon, instead of adding yet another predictable insult to your total. Assuming, of course, that you can. Have an actual opinion, rather than a soundbite or one-liner.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 02:14:12 AM by CarShark »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The future of GSN
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 03:01:34 AM »
With that attitude, I don't know why I'm bothering, but: I was quite serious. Many, MANY times over the years, certainly between when Twenty-One aired and today, there have been complaints around here that Show X was giving away too much, or that Game Y was too easy. I like challenging games. I like it to MEAN something when someone wins. And for you to say "hey, I haven't heard anyone complain..." means exactly what I said, that you haven't been paying attention.

(We now return you to our regularly scheduled CarShark screed about Why I Suck.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

The future of GSN
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 09:01:25 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'223263\' date=\'Aug 18 2009, 01:20 AM\']If that's the case, then why does it seem like so many networks, especially the ones lower on the dial, can't abandon their niches fast enough? TV Land. American Movie Classics. Cartoon Network. History Channel. Bravo. A&E. What good is an identity if it doesn't grab eyeballs?[/quote]

One thing the aforementioned cable channels above do that GSN seems to ignore is advertising.  Granted, some of the advertising those networks do is advertise on their sister channels (and GSN has no sister channel), but many of those same channels advertise elsewhere:  in magazines, on radio. and on other non-sister channels.

The last time I heard radio advertising for GSN was the "Judge for Yourself" show and I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw any print advertising for GSN.  How many times does GSN get mentioned during Wheel or J! nowadays?  What is GSN's creative daily or special block of programing that would be the equivalent of an Adult Swim or Shark Week or Academy Award Winners month?  And when they do such a thing, do they publicize the hell out of it, or do they just send out simple one-page press kits with a bunch of GSN bling?

As far as marketing GSN to the masses is concerned, there is a lot of room for improvement, and the same can be said for their choices in programming.

catnap1972

The future of GSN
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
To add more fuel to the cries of "brain-dead" GSN programming decisions, weekday P+ is being replaced with yet another airing of Dylan Lane CR next week (just in case you clamor for even more of it)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:55:08 AM by catnap1972 »

xavier45

The future of GSN
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 11:49:48 AM »
[quote name=\'catnap1972\' post=\'223284\' date=\'Aug 18 2009, 10:51 AM\']To add more fuel to the cries of "brain-dead" GSN programming decisions, weekday P+ is being replaced with yet another airing of Dylan Lane CR next week (just in case you clamor for even more of it)[/quote]
There is also a couple other changes.

Donnymid is off of the schedule and is being replaced by a full hour of Karn Feud at 4:00pm. Deal or No Deal goes into the 5:00pm hour. Feud will get a full hour at 8:00pm with Karn and O'Hurley. Lingo gets the 9:00pm spot now. And The Newlywed Game and Catch 21 will flip flop places at 10:00pm.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The future of GSN
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 11:32:38 PM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'223265\' date=\'Aug 17 2009, 11:13 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'223264\' date=\'Aug 18 2009, 01:47 AM\']Then, quite simply, you haven't been paying attention.[/quote]Then enlighten me, Lemon, instead of adding yet another predictable insult to your total. Assuming, of course, that you can. Have an actual opinion, rather than a soundbite or one-liner.[/quote]Rather than doing the research on his own or just accepting the answer, CarShark falls back on "You're just a big meanie!"

If you're playing the home game: Take a drink.

For those keeping score, Deal or No Deal, Show Me The Money, Set For Life, Fifth Grader, Lyrics, The Rich List...did I miss anything?
Travis L. Eberle

CarShark

The future of GSN
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 12:03:41 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'223268\' date=\'Aug 18 2009, 03:01 AM\']With that attitude, I don't know why I'm bothering, but: I was quite serious. Many, MANY times over the years, certainly between when Twenty-One aired and today, there have been complaints around here that Show X was giving away too much, or that Game Y was too easy. I like challenging games. I like it to MEAN something when someone wins. And for you to say "hey, I haven't heard anyone complain..." means exactly what I said, that you haven't been paying attention.[/quote](emphasis mine)

I know what happened here. You thought I meant complaints from GSF specifically, but I was talking about the general public, because that's what I believe Travis was talking about in his statement before last. I've seen nothing that said the home audience thought primetime games were giving away too much.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The future of GSN
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 12:08:33 AM »
[quote name=\'CarShark\' post=\'223344\' date=\'Aug 18 2009, 09:03 PM\']because that's what I believe Travis was talking about in his statement before last. I've seen nothing that said the home audience thought primetime games were giving away too much.[/quote]But both are true. You can't just throw money at contestants and expect to keep viewers. That's been demonstrated repeatedly over the last few years.
Travis L. Eberle

That Don Guy

The future of GSN
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 12:38:39 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' post=\'223258\' date=\'Aug 17 2009, 08:30 PM\']The REAL frustration for me is that all the tapes of Spin-Off are available for airing, and GSN is the only network potentially capable of showing them...but of course, they won't touch it, probably because it's not a G-T or B-E show.  It surely can't be because it was short-lived, not when GSN has aired the same one ep of Number Please and the same handful of Play Your Hunch eps more than once[/quote]
I can think of two possibilities as to why Spin Off doesn't air:

First, the version I heard was, the tapes were found at the same time as the original The Joker's Wild; was it ever determined that the tapes were in showable condition?

Second, I don't recall GSN airing many Jim Lange shows (did they ever air The Dating Game?) - could he be the holdup somehow?

Although comparing the number of episodes to Number Please or Play Your Hunch isn't particularly appropriate, as those shows typically aired in a once-a-week "leftover" block (along with the one Eye Guess and what I assume is the one Jack Barry (weekly syndicated) Break the Bank), I'm fairly certain there are more episodes of Spin Off than there are of Greed.

-- Don

BrandonFG

The future of GSN
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 01:10:21 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'223347\' date=\'Aug 19 2009, 12:38 AM\']Second, I don't recall GSN airing many Jim Lange shows (did they ever air The Dating Game?) - could he be the holdup somehow?[/quote]
They indeed aired DG.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

beatlefreak84

The future of GSN
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 01:12:40 AM »
Second, I don't recall GSN airing many Jim Lange shows (did they ever air The Dating Game?) - could he be the holdup somehow?

Yes; The Dating Game (and later just the celebrity episodes) had a regular spot on the schedule for many of the early years (I remember seeing the original in summer of 1997, paired with the syndie '70s version of Newlywed Game, right before the "Dark Period").  They've also aired one of his Newlywed Games, IIRC, Hollywood Connection, and a few eps of Bullseye, so I highly doubt he's the holdup, especially given the former...;).

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Vahan_Nisanian

The future of GSN
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 02:07:43 AM »
I think music rights are the main reasons why GSN is having trouble airing TDG.

mmb5

The future of GSN
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 09:36:43 AM »
Another reason why you will never see Spin-Off -- the run is likely on 2" tapes -- which would be north of $500 per tape to convert.  Plus they would have to clear rights, mark commercial breaks, edit for plugs, etc.  And all of this for GSN to see no appreciable difference in a daytime rating for a show that was so incredibly successful, it ran for 60 whole episodes.  

Let's remember, it is GSN's duty to make money for their investors, it is not GSN's duty to show 34 year old game shows.  The only way you will ever see Spin-Off on GSN is if the heirs of Nick Nicholson and Roger Muir reacquired the tapes, converted them and bought infomercial time.

The reason why you saw some of those G&T one-offs is because they initially paid to have their library converted.  I know it's sad where we've approached a time where the residual value on some of these older shows has approached negative bupkus, but it is what it is.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Vahan_Nisanian

The future of GSN
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2009, 02:39:18 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'223371\' date=\'Aug 19 2009, 09:36 AM\']Another reason why you will never see Spin-Off -- the run is likely on 2" tapes -- which would be north of $500 per tape to convert.  Plus they would have to clear rights, mark commercial breaks, edit for plugs, etc.  And all of this for GSN to see no appreciable difference in a daytime rating for a show that was so incredibly successful, it ran for 60 whole episodes.[/quote]

$30,000 just to convert all episodes of that show to digibeta? That doesn't sound like much.

Also, it's possible that the tapes may have already been converted to digibeta. I don't think there's a rule that an older game show can't be converted to digibeta, unless GSN acquires it, is there?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:27:40 PM by gameshowlover87 »