Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Hosts/Hostesses Turned Authors  (Read 9153 times)

calliaume

Game Show Hosts/Hostesses Turned Authors
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2009, 12:19:32 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'222759\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 10:30 AM\']According to her website, the book will be released this year, but you can buy an advance copy from the site for $19.50.[/quote]
Actually, it was supposed to have released last year:

Book will be released Oct./Nov. 2008

That's a long wait -- I wonder if she didn't get a publisher.  Self-publishing sounds appealing in theory, but you don't want to store a few thousand books in the garage.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2009, 01:01:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'222766\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 08:57 AM\']I could still do without the "VERY surprised" comment from GSGuru about an obscure, unreleased book by a non-host[/quote]
Fixed that for you.

/nothing says "Look what tiny bit of obscure trivia *I* know!" like "I'm VERY surprised..."
//except for the utterly obsequious "Of course..."
///hi, Zach
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:01:57 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

clemon79

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2009, 01:02:37 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'222769\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 09:19 AM\']That's a long wait -- I wonder if she didn't get a publisher.  Self-publishing sounds appealing in theory, but you don't want to store a few thousand books in the garage.[/quote]
That's what print-on-demand is for, yes?

calliaume

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2009, 01:10:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'222777\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 12:02 PM\'][quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'222769\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 09:19 AM\']That's a long wait -- I wonder if she didn't get a publisher.  Self-publishing sounds appealing in theory, but you don't want to store a few thousand books in the garage.[/quote]
That's what print-on-demand is for, yes?
[/quote]
POD's good for something printing 2,500 copies or less.  Generally speaking, a book will go POD after it's gone through a regular printing or two and the publisher doesn't want to print 3,000 copies of a later printing and sell 300.  If Susie only prints 2,500 copies of her book overall, it's probably not worth the work involved.

clemon79

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'222780\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 10:10 AM\']POD's good for something printing 2,500 copies or less.  Generally speaking, a book will go POD after it's gone through a regular printing or two and the publisher doesn't want to print 3,000 copies of a later printing and sell 300.  If Susie only prints 2,500 copies of her book overall, it's probably not worth the work involved.[/quote]
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of those online publishing houses that *only* do POD, like the one Donegan published his book through. Which I realize are horrible values for the author.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2009, 01:33:12 PM »
Will there come a day when there will be no bookstores or publishers?  If you want a book, you can print the PDF file for a small fee on your own paper.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2009, 01:51:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'222784\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 10:33 AM\']Will there come a day when there will be no bookstores or publishers?  If you want a book, you can print the PDF file for a small fee on your own paper.[/quote]
We're well on the way.

I suspect that actual physical books will become an artisan product in the next ten to fifteen years.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 01:52:19 PM by clemon79 »

calliaume

« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2009, 03:11:22 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'222790\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 12:51 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'222784\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 10:33 AM\']Will there come a day when there will be no bookstores or publishers?  If you want a book, you can print the PDF file for a small fee on your own paper.[/quote]
I suspect that actual physical books will become an artisan product in the next ten to fifteen years.
[/quote]
Wow, this is going far afield.

Being in the profession, I can safely say mass production of books aren't going away any time soon.  Kindle may be used to supplement it -- and it's certainly a better option than e-books were a decade ago, with many more choices, including newspapers and magazines -- but it will not completely change it.

The change you are seeing, and will continue to see, will be in school books, especially K-12.  They're very expensive to print -- and for every social studies, science, or math book you see, remember it's already been printed once (in a smaller quantity) to send to the states for adoption -- and not easy for the students to use (and carry -- seen those backpacks lately?).  What I can see over the next 20 years or so, as students get to the point where each desk has a computer, is all textbooks become electronic, either on line or purchased by the school system.  This will save a lot in print, and it'll make state-specific editions easier to do (so 20 years down the road, you'll have 75 percent of the states learning about evolution, while Texas and Kansas have intelligent design).  Students could access them both in the classroom and at home, perhaps through the school's web site.

While Kindle is far better than the previous e-books, and will be cheaper as time goes along, it won't replace books.  Unlike movies/TV (which have gone from big screen only to TV to VCR to DVD to laptop) or music (vinyl to cassette to CDs to MP3s on IPods), books are still easy to use, portable, and easier to reproduce in book form than anything else.  (Do you really want to carry around 300 pages of 8-1/2" x 11" sheets instead of a regular book?)  Also, there's pride in ownership -- like it or not, a bookcase or two full of books (or, in the case of Karen and me, ten bookcases) makes a very favorable impression on people.  (Until they see the actual titles, in some cases -- my opinion of the previous owners of my house started badly when I saw several Phyllis Schlafly-authored titles on the shelves.)

Print on demand, as noted before, is useful in very small quantities.  However, it's not cost effective at much over 2,500 copies (which is a very low run on a regular press), and most POD plants don't print color very well (with a few exceptions, POD is a souped-up Xerox machine).  It's best for softcover books (binding three copies hardcover makes them prohibitively expensive, if I remember correctly).  And it's not going to look as good as the original book.

Okay, my time on the soapbox is done.

entguy1

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »
"Groucho and Me," anyone???

GameShowGuru

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2009, 12:05:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'222766\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 11:57 AM\'][quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'222759\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 11:30 AM\']According to her website, the book will be released this year, but you can buy an advance copy from the site for $19.50.[/quote]
OK, cool, thanks for finding that.  Hopefully, it'll actually come out.  I could still do without the "VERY surprised" comment from GSGuru about an obscure, unreleased book by a non-host.

/And I've met Stafford.
//She seemed nice.
[/quote]

Well excuse me, Matt.  If Susan does not qualify as a game show hostess, my mistake (i.e., what qualifies Vanna White to be a game show hostess when she essentially does the same thing that Susan did).   I certainly didn't mean to upset the apple cart here.  I thought folks here would have known.

I express genuine disbelief about an omission, and all of a sudden I raked over the coals.  Daggone!

Speaking of Vanna, as a bonafide and clearly announced game show HOSTESS, she wrote the book Vanna Speaks in 1987.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2009, 12:08:19 AM »
Another game show host turned author:

Ross Shafer, author of:

"Nobody Moved Your Cheese"
"The Customer Shouts Back"
"Customer Empathy"
"Are You Relevant"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2009, 09:38:47 AM »
[quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'222972\' date=\'Aug 14 2009, 12:05 AM\']Well excuse me, Matt.  If Susan does not qualify as a game show hostess, my mistake (i.e., what qualifies Vanna White to be a game show hostess when she essentially does the same thing that Susan did).   I certainly didn't mean to upset the apple cart here.  I thought folks here would have known.

I express genuine disbelief about an omission, and all of a sudden I raked over the coals.  Daggone![/quote]
Oh, grow up.  It's not a question of whether she "qualifies".  It's a matter of your "disbelief" (genuine or not) that nobody would mention a book which does not exist from an obscure personality .  There was a better way of bringing it up (pretty much how you did with Ross Shafer above).  I wasn't the only person who thought so.

[quote name=\'GameShowGuru\' post=\'222972\' date=\'Aug 14 2009, 12:05 AM\']Speaking of Vanna, as a bonafide and clearly announced game show HOSTESS, she wrote the book Vanna Speaks in 1987.[/quote]
Covered by the original poster in the original post.  Though -- as someone else mentioned -- there might be some question as to whether she literally wrote it herself.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 09:40:28 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2009, 02:38:46 PM »
Maybe it's semantics, but when I hear "host" or "hostess" I think of the emcee.  Vanna or Susan are no more the hostess of WOF than Carol Merill was the hostess of LMAD.  They are models, not hostesses.  Emcees run the show, not the models.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Don Howard

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2009, 03:08:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'223031\' date=\'Aug 14 2009, 02:38 PM\']Maybe it's semantics, but when I hear "host" or "hostess" I think of the emcee.  Vanna or Susan are no more the hostess of WOF than Carol Merill was the hostess of LMAD.  They are models, not hostesses.  Emcees run the show, not the models.[/quote]
When I think of "hostess", I think of Ho Hos and Twinkies.
To be fair, Chuck and Pat (and possibly Alex, Rolf and Bob) introduced Susan and Vanna as "hostess".
I tend to think of Jan Speck as more of a stewardess.
Remember how Jay Stewart would tell us that a trader's jet vacation would feature "stewardesses in hot pants"?
[quote name=\'entguy1\' post=\'222801\' date=\'Aug 12 2009, 03:37 PM\']"Groucho and Me," anyone???[/quote]
I'll get to your tell-all after I've finished this book about Merv and seemingly all of Hollywood.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 09:15:53 PM by Don Howard »

tvrandywest

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2009, 04:37:17 PM »
Hostesses, Ho Hos and Twinkies?

What website are YOU looking at?!   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com